VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 01:50:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From my perspective....  (Read 2311 times)
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:27:26 EDT »

Tennessee did what they were suppose to do against Austin Peay. I do think that Worley held the ball too long and was not very accurate. He's not got a very strong arm. Held the ball too long but that could be due to progression in his reads. Peterman had the stronger arm. I think by game 6 or 7 we coudl have a new QB. Dunno!!!
The RB's ran harder than I've seen them run in four years, they didn't get arm tackled or tripped up by grass monsters. Summerhill is a worker and he did look good. I thought thte WR's did okay, liked the downfield blocking. North physically looks like a junior, he's a gamer. The recruits should see this as a wide open opportunity to play now.
I know Tennessee's O-line is suppose to be the strength of this team and they did a good job but I see some concern. When the Vols have the ball inside the 5 and they can't mash Austin Peay something is wrong, bad wrong. If Tennessee's offensive line cannot mash Austin Peay's D-line then when it comes time to play the big boys the run run game will bog down. There really is o reson why the Vol o O-line should ot have buried that D-line Saturday night on the goal line. Western Kentucky will give Tennessee a run and if Tennessee doesn't look at them as an immediate threat, then Tennessee will go from a two TD favorite to being beat by two TD's.  GO VOLS and STOMP THE HILLTOPPERS AND THEIR EGGS!!!!! Send Bobby Petrino and his posse back to WKU wishing they ahd never seen BIG ORANGE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:35:07 EDT »

Tennessee did what they were suppose to do against Austin Peay.

This is really the bottom line. The only things we could possibly have learned from that game are negatives. If we had trouble running, we'd have problems; if they were able to run the ball, we'd have problems; if the game wasn't put away by the middle of the 3rd, we'd have problems; if Worley couldn't complete passes, we'd have problems; if we were undisciplined, we'd have problems . . .

None of those things cropped up. So we didn't prove we were good in any particular area, but we haven't yet proven we are bad in any area either. As far as I can tell the only thing that was clear is that there's a big gap between our offensive starters and their backups.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:57:30 EDT »

I'm about as Orange as Orange can get, but I'm just not convinced our O-line can really mash em' in the mouth when it comes down to getting the tough hard yards. This has been the case for several years. Great pass blocking line, been that way since Cheney was the OC. Yes when the field gets shorter the yards are tougher to come by, mostly through the air, but there is no reason why Tennessee's offensive line cannot move the ball at will, on the ground, inside the five against Austin Peay. Not trying to argue, just stating my opinion and few others I've talked with at the game. We will know more Saturday for sure. GO VOLS, GO TEAM 117!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 06:13:02 EDT »

I'm about as Orange as Orange can get, but I'm just not convinced our O-line can really mash em' in the mouth when it comes down to getting the tough hard yards. This has been the case for several years.

I saw a difference, a big difference last year.  Best run stats since 2004, and before that you have to go back to the glory years of 1998-2000, all of which were better.  But still, literally best run offense in 10 years, IN SPITE of Dooley  being HC and Cheney's tendency to throw first.  We have 4/5 OL back and both top RBs, so I am very hopeful for our rush game.

Passing game needs to develop though...or teams will just stack the line.  Thank goodness we have a couple WRs who can get behind the line.  I suspect that the offense that Jones runs is good at relieving the pressure on the run game.  I guess we will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: