VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 11:33:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did Michigan State lose to Notre Dame and Auburn lose to LSU?....  (Read 9806 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2013, 03:29:47 EST »

As Master of the Obvious I would propose that they just got better as the year went on. That's why I'm looking forward to the playoff next year and the eventual eight team playoff.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:38:18 EST »

Agree...As it is now it would be FL State vs Bama and OSU vs Auburn. Would be fun to watch.

BTW: If Mich State has the best defense in the nation I'm a Chinese short order fry cook.
Wayne
All-SEC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 07:33:10 EST »

We were not as good then.  We went on our first road game and turned the ball over our first 3 possessions.  Fumble, Int, blocked punt.  LSU converted to points.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:10:54 EST »

We were not as good then.  We went on our first road game and turned the ball over our first 3 possessions.  Fumble, Int, blocked punt.  LSU converted to points.
Not to mention the rain and LSU (Hill) ran through your defense like a hot knife through warm butter.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 02:23:54 EST »

Agree...As it is now it would be FL State vs Bama and OSU vs Auburn. Would be fun to watch.

BTW: If Mich State has the best defense in the nation I'm a Chinese short order fry cook.
Yes I will have some moo goo gai pan and war bar soup please!!!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 03:14:30 EST »

Michigan State played awful against Notre Dame and had some of the "Notre Dame magic", aka bad calls by the officials that Notre Dame always seems to get in their favor, work against them at a couple of key points in the game. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 05:34:19 EST »

I think the most obvious thing is that Auburn is not head-and-shoulders above the rest of the top-tier SEC teams (let's not forget that they were extremely fortunate to beat Alabama and extremely fortunate to beat Georgia and, truthfully, should've lost both those games), while Ohio State is just simply not that good, which made Michigan State look better last night.

I don't mind the 4-team playoff, but when it inevitably expands to 8 teams, it's going to start us down the road to the end of college football as we know it. I firmly believe that.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 05:45:04 EST »

Auburn reminds me of our 98 season, only they've had many more "breaks" than we got against both GA and Bama.   I think it's destiny, the breaks go their way and they win the NC....it will stay in the SEC as normal!   

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 09:44:43 EST »

We were not as good then.  We went on our first road game and turned the ball over our first 3 possessions.  Fumble, Int, blocked punt.  LSU converted to points.

Congrats to you guys. I knew you guys would be much improved this season, but no way did I expect this! Who did? You're right, Auburn is a much improved team since that LSU game. I give your staff credit for that.

BTW, part of my family is really enjoying what AU has accomplished this season, and another part of the family (Crimson and White) are not. Include me in the latter group. Also, since this will be the fifth straight year someone from this state has been in the national championship game, it's time to rename that game to The State of Alabama Invitational National Championship Game!

BG
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 03:13:25 EST »

I think the most obvious thing is that Auburn is not head-and-shoulders above the rest of the top-tier SEC teams (let's not forget that they were extremely fortunate to beat Alabama and extremely fortunate to beat Georgia and, truthfully, should've lost both those games), while Ohio State is just simply not that good, which made Michigan State look better last night.

I don't mind the 4-team playoff, but when it inevitably expands to 8 teams, it's going to start us down the road to the end of college football as we know it. I firmly believe that.

OK....I just have to ask this. I can buy we were extremely fortunate, lucky...whateve you want to call it, to beat UGA.  I agree with that sentiment. But should've lost to bammer? Fortunate to beat bammer?  Prove that one to me. We rushed almost 300 yards on their #1 D's ass. We matched their scoring. We came back from a 21-7 deficit...was that luck or good football? And the runback?  That was good coaching and great execution. I cannot understand how anyone says we should've lost that game. There was no luck or good fortune or anything else there...we flat out beat them.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 03:19:56 EST »

OK....I just have to ask this. I can buy we were extremely fortunate, lucky...whateve you want to call it, to beat UGA.  I agree with that sentiment. But should've lost to bammer? Fortunate to beat bammer?  Prove that one to me. We rushed almost 300 yards on their #1 D's ass. We matched their scoring. We came back from a 21-7 deficit...was that luck or good football? And the runback?  That was good coaching and great execution. I cannot understand how anyone says we should've lost that game. There was no luck or good fortune or anything else there...we flat out beat them.

Alabama missing 4 FGs wasn't luck? Saban's dumbass decision to go for it on 4th down with 5 minutes to play & a TD lead rather than kick a chip-shot FG and put the game out of reach wasn't luck? RETURNING A MISSED FG 109 YARDS WASN'T LUCK?!?! Lol. Okay.
NC Enginerd
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 04:01:44 EST »

Alabama missing 4 FGs wasn't luck? Saban's dumbass decision to go for it on 4th down with 5 minutes to play & a TD lead rather than kick a chip-shot FG and put the game out of reach wasn't luck? RETURNING A MISSED FG 109 YARDS WASN'T LUCK?!?! Lol. Okay.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G.K. Chesterton ILN, 4/19/24
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 04:17:36 EST »

We blocked one FG...not luck.  Saban made a stoopid decision...not luck. We ran a missed FG back for TD - that was a smart coaching decision on our part and a bad one on Saban's part....not luck. They missed some easy FGs, yes. But I also don't consider that luck.  The way we won against UGA was luck. Bammer? No, not IMO. But I won't argue it any further.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 04:18:55 EST »

I won't argue that. UT wouldn't have won the '98 national championship without a healthy dose of luck. But it is what it is.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 04:37:34 EST »

It's more like bammer's luck ran out.  They never should have gotten a rematch with LSU in 2011 IMO.  Rematches have occurred before, such as the 1996 rematch with FSU and Florida, but only between two teams in different conferences.  That a team that lost it's own conference would have a rematch is exceptional. It only occurred because the SEC is on such a run, and also because a whole bunch of other teams lost....pure luck.  Not to mention last year...uga barely misses an upset, LSU pulls a classic "Chavis choke" in the final minutes, and ... here is the luck part again....a whole bunch of other teams lose at in the final two weeks or so to pave the way for bammer.

But Auburn put a stop to that nonsense, and in dramatic fashion.  And you are correct...not a damn thing was lucky about that kick return.  Pure brilliance.  As for their kicker missing FGs, Ole Sabey should have listened to "the barh" who always said special teams were the most important part of the team.  His kicker should have been better prepared, or replaced sooner, or...something.   

But I am really glad he was not.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Wayne
All-SEC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 06:05:52 EST »

Not to mention the rain and LSU (Hill) ran through your defense like a hot knife through warm butter.

Everyone has done that . . . the difference is our first 3 possessions.  Can't give LSU that kind of spot.
Wayne
All-SEC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 06:08:07 EST »

We were not fortunate to beat Bama.  We ran for 294 yards on them.  And ran over them in for 3 drives.  If anything Bama was lucky to get a fumble and 2 broken coverages.  And the UGA thing while lucky was only the fates balancing the ledger . . . they did not score the last TD.  Should have been our ball on the 1 with 1:50 left.
Wayne
All-SEC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 06:09:40 EST »

And we fumbled the ball away . .  and missed 2 coverages.  Otherwise . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: