VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 10:35:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The NC State beat writer was on the radio yesterday  (Read 2243 times)
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:07:58 EDT »

and he was talking about the Vols.  He said that their offense was very difficult for the linebackers and State's linebackers are a combination of guys returning from injury and youngsters.  He said that even though they really don't have a good blitzing team, the DC believes in blitzing and is going to do it a fair amount regardless.  Which hopefully will leave the DBs on an island for some big plays by J Hunter and Coradelle Patterson.  Also, State's best CB, CJ Wilson, is out for the game.  So I am cautiously optimistic.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:10:24 EDT »

wwfdt
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:16:21 EDT »

and he was talking about the Vols.  He said that their offense was very difficult for the linebackers and State's linebackers are a combination of guys returning from injury and youngsters.  He said that even though they really don't have a good blitzing team, the DC believes in blitzing and is going to do it a fair amount regardless.  Which hopefully will leave the DBs on an island for some big plays by J Hunter and Coradelle Patterson.  Also, State's best CB, CJ Wilson, is out for the game.  So I am cautiously optimistic.

The interesting thing about this is that NCSU plays almost exclusively zone coverage. So Amerson (Thorpe winner) and Wilson never would really have been 1-on-1 with our WRs very much. But it definitely helps us that Wilson is out, as they may have to shade zones to that side to help the backup. If they do, that may leave Amerson in situations that are closer to 1-on-1. He is big and physical but I like Hunter and Patterson's chances if they get isolated with him.

The LBs are where we need to attack them, and IMO that means running the ball and looking for Rivera in the passing game. It's funny that with all the talk about our WR unit, I think our offensive success in this game is going to depend highly on other players.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:22:30 EDT »

I agree but those dynamic wr's are what is going to open that up. 

The interesting thing about this is that NCSU plays almost exclusively zone coverage. So Amerson (Thorpe winner) and Wilson never would really have been 1-on-1 with our WRs very much. But it definitely helps us that Wilson is out, as they may have to shade zones to that side to help the backup. If they do, that may leave Amerson in situations that are closer to 1-on-1. He is big and physical but I like Hunter and Patterson's chances if they get isolated with him.

The LBs are where we need to attack them, and IMO that means running the ball and looking for Rivera in the passing game. It's funny that with all the talk about our WR unit, I think our offensive success in this game is going to depend highly on other players.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 01:34:31 EDT »

The stat on their LB's is 57 PLAYS between them.  Which is roughly one game. 

One game's worth of playing time for all three starters.  (Drooooollll).   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: