VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 01:51:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pointless Question: Season 2  (Read 1639 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2019, 12:23:43 EDT »

Instead of speculating about days of yore, let's pointlessly speculate about the present, or at least recent past.

Would Hugh Freeze be able to get this team to a bowl this year? I'm not a fan of many of his previous actions, and don't want him at UT. This is strictly about coaching.

For that matter, would a much lesser coach like Houston Nutt get this bunch to 6-6?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 03:55:48 EDT »

Idk but anytime I hear folks talking about Michigan getting restless with Harbaugh, they should take a long hard look at us.  As frustrated as they are, it can be so much worse than their situation.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 04:44:04 EDT »

Idk but anytime I hear folks talking about Michigan getting restless with Harbaugh, they should take a long hard look at us.  As frustrated as they are, it can be so much worse than their situation.   

I'd take what Michigan has right now in a heartbeat. Of course, I'd also have taken what Georgia had in a heartbeat...but they've showed why they made the right decision to fire a winning coach who wasn't quite good enough. We should be so lucky. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 06:55:57 EDT »

UGA canning Richt was kind of like us dumping Fulmer.

I'd gladly take Harbaugh's results for half what he's making now.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 08:25:44 EDT »

UGA canning Richt was kind of like us dumping Fulmer.

I'd gladly take Harbaugh's results for half what he's making now.

I'm tempted to say that is true with one exception: UGA had competent administration in place who made the right hire to replace Richt, while UT's administration got it horribly wrong, and then compounded the situation by following up one bad decision with other bad decisions.

But I'm not sure if it's a result of being competent or being lucky. No one could've known for sure that Kirby Smart would be a good head coach ... in fact, I remember some on this forum betting that he wouldn't be. Certainly no one could've guessed he would be so good so fast, with such a small learning curve (though, admittedly, he inherited a pretty danged good situation at UGA).
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 09:34:27 EDT »

Can't compare UGA and UT....UGA annually recruited top 10 SEC talent before Kirby got there and won and he's in one of the top 4 recruiting states in the country. MR didn't drive the program in the ground and won 9-10 games a year. He just couldn't get UGA over the hump.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 10:13:21 EDT »

I meant to say Majors, not Fulmer. My apologies.

Had we hired Gary Patterson or even Brian Kelly the post-Fulmer era would have been different.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 12:16:26 EDT »

I'm betting that neither Freeze nor Nutt would have lost to Georgia State when they had a complete off season to prepare for them. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 11:32:05 EDT »

I'm betting that neither Freeze nor Nutt would have lost to Georgia State when they had a complete off season to prepare for them. 

Yeah, there is no answer to that.  Everything else that's happened this season, though maddening, would not have  been completely outside of expectations.  But that loss is unexplainable. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: