VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 04:39:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AJ Johnson will return to UT next season.*  (Read 2974 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:46:55 EST »

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:20:01 EST »

He would have been crazy to leave. Not an NFL lb IMO anyway. We could use him and he can get that much closer to, if not finish his degree......he is going to need it after college.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:31:43 EST »

Excellent. He may lack footspeed and will not be in the pantheon of great UT linebackers, but we will most certainly be better off with him back.

AJ, Curt, and a newcomer. That's pretty exciting. It also gives guys like Kevin Mouhon and Jakob Johnson a year to get PT and develop without us having to lean on them from day 1.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:01:13 EST »

I think he should have gone. I don't see him going higher than he would have this year, and he risks injury. Aaron Murray comes to mind.

That being said, glad he is back, he gives us an experienced MLB who was playing well by end of season.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:19:45 EST »

Excellent. He may lack footspeed and will not be in the pantheon of great UT linebackers, but we will most certainly be better off with him back.

AJ, Curt, and a newcomer. That's pretty exciting. It also gives guys like Kevin Mouhon and Jakob Johnson a year to get PT and develop without us having to lean on them from day 1.
He will never be fast but the AJ we saw at the end of the season was much improved.  He was able to get sideline to sideline far, far better than earlier in the season and, on occasion, actually cover a receiver.  His zone pass defense skills improved greatly.  If he builds on the late season surge then he will be a very good LB for us at Mike and as a leader of the defense.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:22:53 EST »

He will never be fast but the AJ we saw at the end of the season was much improved.  He was able to get sideline to sideline far, far better than earlier in the season and, on occasion, actually cover a receiver.  His zone pass defense skills improved greatly.  If he builds on the late season surge then he will be a very good LB for us at Mike and as a leader of the defense.

Yep, we'll be better on defense with him than without him, so I am good with his staying. 

That said, I don't see him improving his NFL stock much, so maybe he is taking a huge risk.  He could be drafted this year, make somebody's team, and earn a year's rookie pay, which still isn't a bad thing right now. 

Not sure I understand this one. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:42:17 EST »

Yep, we'll be better on defense with him than without him, so I am good with his staying. 

That said, I don't see him improving his NFL stock much, so maybe he is taking a huge risk.  He could be drafted this year, make somebody's team, and earn a year's rookie pay, which still isn't a bad thing right now. 

Not sure I understand this one. 

I've been following the draft projections this year.  FWIW, he dropped a round or two as the season wore on.  Might be he thinks he can climb back.  Given that he was originally projected higher, I don't see why not.  But I am just speculating.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 04:07:25 EST »

A.J. could/can be an NFL Linebacker. His problem is not being around the ball becuase he almost always is. He needs to make more takles at or behind the LOS and he needs to eliminate the arm slinging tackles. He has got to learn to punish a ball carrier with solid form tackling. If he can correct those tow he has a good shot at the NFL  if not he'll be an NFLer (Not For Longer)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: