VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 04:03:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Really good alleged inside look at our program  (Read 3875 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2016, 03:53:40 EST »

http://247sports.com/Article/Inside-the-failing-of-Tennessee-Volunteers-football-under-Butch--49621786

Flea'd from the croc board, of all things

Seems on target....ties lack of discipline in strength program to Lawson leaving and suggests Jones lacks confidence, both of which seem highly credible

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:57:22 EST »

http://247sports.com/Article/Inside-the-failing-of-Tennessee-Volunteers-football-under-Butch--49621786

Flea'd from the croc board, of all things

Seems on target....ties lack of discipline in strength program to Lawson leaving and suggests Jones lacks confidence, both of which seem highly credible
I note that Hurd the anonymous complainers were to cowardly to allow their names to be used

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 03:57:51 EST »

Also states Blackburn is all but a done deal. I am sold on Blackburn.  Bring him in, let him buttress Jones for a year, and if it falls apart move on.  Or we do much better than expected.  Either way...but get us a good AD that will handle whatever happens.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:08:31 EST »

While I certainly wouldn't say everything is kosher on The Hill (far from it), I don't think we would still be landing 4 and 5 star recruits if the culture was a "disaster".  We saw how recruiting fell off the last couple years of the Dooley regime.  Now THAT was a disaster.  I think those anonymous quotes came from recently scorned former players.  Or if they did come from actual coaches/employees, it was either people with nothing to lose, or everything to gain.  Use your imagination.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:58:03 EST »

I note that Hurd the anonymous complainers were to cowardly to allow their names to be used

^This
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 05:57:06 EST »

Funny...I was thinking some of the references to privileged recruits might have been about Hurd himself.  Hmmmm....

As for the article, I am not uncritcally accepting everything it says, but I can buy that our new strength coach was a disaster and that discipline slipped a notch.  That would explain both the injuries and the seeming lack of preparedness in many games.

As for Butch lacking confidence...I have a confession to make.  When he was candidate for his current job,  several articles featured a  pic of him standing on the sidelines in Neyland when Cincy visited in 2011.  I flashed back to that game, and all the camera shots of him from it.  And my general impression of him in that game was of a guy overwhelmed by it all and out of his depth. And honestly, that made me not want him. 

I have never stated that publicly until now, but at times, that's exactly how he looks to me.  As if maybe he bit off a bit more than he could chew. Having said that, I thought he did good, though not great, until midway through this season.

And I  also think he has grown into it a bit.  He just needs to grow a bit more and decide he can handle it.   That's just MO....and maybe he can pull it off. I hope so, because that's what's best for the program.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:52:56 EST »

Funny...I was thinking some of the references to privileged recruits might have been about Hurd himself.  Hmmmm....

As for the article, I am not uncritcally accepting everything it says, but I can buy that our new strength coach was a disaster and that discipline slipped a notch.  That would explain both the injuries and the seeming lack of preparedness in many games.

As for Butch lacking confidence...I have a confession to make.  When he was candidate for his current job,  several articles featured a  pic of him standing on the sidelines in Neyland when Cincy visited in 2011.  I flashed back to that game, and all the camera shots of him from it.  And my general impression of him in that game was of a guy overwhelmed by it all and out of his depth. And honestly, that made me not want him. 

I have never stated that publicly until now, but at times, that's exactly how he looks to me.  As if maybe he bit off a bit more than he could chew. Having said that, I thought he did good, though not great, until midway through this season.

And I  also think he has grown into it a bit.  He just needs to grow a bit more and decide he can handle it.   That's just MO....and maybe he can pull it off. I hope so, because that's what's best for the program.

“Certain guys would become team captains even though they didn’t earn it."  almost certainly came from Hurd IMO.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:20:04 EST »

“Certain guys would become team captains even though they didn’t earn it."  almost certainly came from Hurd IMO.

As in Kamara who had been in the program for 1 year....and not Hurd?!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:27:20 EST »

As in Kamara who had been in the program for 1 year....and not Hurd?!!
One was participating in recruiting and exhibiting leadership while the other was threatening to transfer.
Easy call

I had no issues with the captains when announced nor now

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 06:43:10 EST »

One was participating in recruiting and exhibiting leadership while the other was threatening to transfer.
Easy call

I had no issues with the captains when announced nor now

I agree.....Just not too hard to connect the dots.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:51 EST »

I agree.....Just not too hard to connect the dots.
Apologize, didn't "connect the dots" regarding your post

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: