VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 09:37:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Really Good Season  (Read 1744 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2022, 01:55:27 EDT »

It stinks we lost, but we got a ring and a banner. I'll take those.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 01:58:29 EDT »

Very fun year.  As was feared, we went stone cold at the worst possible time.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 01:59:40 EDT »

In the words of the prescient Garth Brooks, "it was bound to happen, and one night it did."

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 02:01:45 EDT »

Very fun year.  As was feared, we went stone cold at the worst possible time.

It certainly wasn’t hard to predict, which is why I never believed this team would make a deep run in the tournament.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 02:03:38 EDT »

They had a great offensive plan and dissected our D for pretty much the entire game, all without their starting point guard.

We were one-dimensional on offense because the shots weren't falling and they were not going to let SV beat them.  (Where was BHH in the second half?)

The SECT championship was nice, but sadly success is measured by this tournament.  I hate to say it, but this is a very disappointing end to the season from my perspective.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 02:03:49 EDT »

It certainly wasn’t hard to predict, which is why I never believed this team would make a deep run in the tournament.

I really wanted to believe otherwise, but deep down I thought so too.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 02:04:03 EDT »

Because we don't handle success well. You don't take a bow until the job is done.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 02:06:37 EDT »

It was indeed- a great season to be proud of.  Still pissed we got dicked out of our 2 seed and then ended up playing an 11 seed that was really a 7 or 8 seed.  F-U-C-K you selection committee.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 02:09:21 EDT »

Barnes is who he is; a good guy who won't do much in the NCAA tournament. He's massively overpaid for that, but that's my only beef.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 02:12:21 EDT »

Barnes is who he is; a good guy who won't do much in the NCAA tournament. He's massively overpaid for that, but that's my only beef.
Tennessee is still yet to reach the round of their seeding under CRB.  I hate it for him because he is a great person.
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 02:17:54 EDT »

Tennessee had a great season - and beating KY and AU were stand outs.  Outside of the SEC teams (who I don't pull for at all, only the Vols), I think I despise Michigan the most.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 03:05:09 EDT »

Thus the title...Regular season Rick....since being a top 5 paid coach he was NIT bound until the season was cancelled....Lost in the first round and finished ranked 46th in the nation....and just lost to a 17-14.....11-9 conference team to not get out of the first weekend again.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 03:11:59 EDT »

Their offensive game plan against us was very good.  They got good looks against our D for most of the game.  It beat us.

It may not have beaten us if we make a few more 3's or some of the other open looks, but it gave them a chance and they capitalized on it.  As a coaching staff, that's all you can do - give your team the best chance to win.  You have to give Howard (more likely Martelli, honestly) credit.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 03:15:02 EDT »

Their offensive game plan against us was very good.  They got good looks against our D for most of the game.  It beat us.

It may not have beaten us if we make a few more 3's or some of the other open looks, but it gave them a chance and they capitalized on it.  As a coaching staff, that's all you can do - give your team the best chance to win.  You have to give Howard (more likely Martelli, honestly) credit.

Agreed, credit to them.
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2022, 03:18:59 EDT »

Thus the title...Regular season Rick....since being a top 5 paid coach he was NIT bound until the season was cancelled....Lost in the first round and finished ranked 46th in the nation....and just lost to a 17-14.....11-9 conference team to not get out of the first weekend again.

Let’s be fair about this though. That was not a typical 17-14 team or a typical 11 seed. Michigan came on strong at the end of the season and with their post play I could see them making a run at the Final Four.

As for Barnes…it is what it is. I don’t think he’ll ever make a deep tournament run. But I love the guy and I don’t think there’s anyone out there I would trade him for.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 03:30:57 EDT »

Let’s be fair about this though. That was not a typical 17-14 team or a typical 11 seed. Michigan came on strong at the end of the season and with their post play I could see them making a run at the Final Four.

As for Barnes…it is what it is. I don’t think he’ll ever make a deep tournament run. But I love the guy and I don’t think there’s anyone out there I would trade him for.

Mich was top 5 at the beginning of the year, I believe.  I was not thrilled when they beat Colorado St.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 03:31:25 EDT »

Michigan was 7-7 on their last 14 games before the NCAAT. I said before the tournament started that I didn't think they deserved a spot in the field 😂.

I sadly agree with this, I think. Sadly because I think he's a great person and a great representative for the university, but I'll just be very surprised AND extremely happy if he is ever successful in the NCAAT.
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 03:37:49 EDT »

Michigan was 7-7 on their last 14 games before the NCAAT. I said before the tournament started that I didn't think they deserved a spot in the field 😂.
I sadly agree with this, I think. Sadly because I think he's a great person and a great representative for the university, but I'll just be very surprised AND extremely happy if he is ever successful in the NCAAT.

I’m very happy to have Barnes.  Everybody needs to remember this is Tennessee basketball.  Barnes has us on a an upward trajectory.  If he regularly gets us in the NCAAT that is a big step up.  Over time it will get better and we should be in great shape to hire his replacement when that time comes.

Wherever you go, there you are.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 06:17:35 EDT »

Their offensive game plan against us was very good.  They got good looks against our D for most of the game.  It beat us.

It may not have beaten us if we make a few more 3's or some of the other open looks, but it gave them a chance and they capitalized on it.  As a coaching staff, that's all you can do - give your team the best chance to win.  You have to give Howard (more likely Martelli, honestly) credit.

I have over the years noticed that Barnes really prepares for games, and that it usually pays off. I have speculated that his lack of success in the tourney is lack of time to prepare. I really think that may be a factor here.  We played Thursday, not sure who we were going to play till later in the day, then basically 36 hours to get ready for Michigan.  

It may not be the only factor, but I suspect it's part of the problem.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 02:16:14 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 05:06:53 EDT »

It was a good year, we accomplished some things, but it ended in disappointment. I expected this team to advance to the elite 8

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2022, 05:09:05 EDT »

There's nothing mystical about Barnes in the Tourney. It is hard to do well in the tourney, and harder when your two best shooters get cold from the outside.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2022, 09:04:25 EDT »

I love Barnes. He's just a $100,000 Camry. We have a terrific car, but we seriously overpaid.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 12:42:28 EDT »

Seriously, what more did anyone expect this year AT THE BEGINING OF THE YEAR? We lost a lot, and this team did pretty much as I had expected. Better even, the won the SEC

Did anyone except more? If so, explain why you did.

Some of you need to get a grip

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 02:16:55 EDT »

Seriously, what more did anyone expect this year AT THE BEGINING OF THE YEAR? We lost a lot, and this team did pretty much as I had expected. Better even, the won the SEC

Did anyone except more? If so, explain why you did.

Some of you need to get a grip

Great points FL

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: