VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 09:44:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OT: Interstellar Movie review  (Read 1763 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:10:02 EST »

I'm a big sci-fi buff so I had to go see this on opening night.

The movie is directed by Christopher Nolan, so in true Nolan fashion, it is complicated. The plot is that the earth is slowly becoming unable to provide food for humans due to huge dust bowls making it impossible to grow food. It takes place sometime in the future, not sure how many years into it. Matthew McConaughey plays the scientist who figures out that NASA has been working on a project for the last 10 years for humans to leave the Earth and find a suitable planet. They have found a wormhole outside of Saturn put there by someone (they never explain who) that leads to another galaxy where they have already sent several astronauts and they have sent signals back that they have found some candidates for human settlement.
So he leaves behind his family, including his very smart young daughter, and goes on this mission with a few other scientists to find the wormhole, travel to the distant galaxy, and find the right planet for human settlement. There is also a plan B for human cloning in the event they are unable to actually bring humans from Earth there.
The rest of the movie takes place mostly in space, and looks a little like "Gravity". However, the special effects are great, and we actually get a look at what a black hole likely looks like in space - based on real science. There are a lot of quantum physics and astrophysics concepts explored, like relativity, and the film touches on ideas beyond 3 dimensions. I won't give more away, except to say that it even touches on string theory a little, and the ending, after you suspend disbelief, is really interesting. You won't like the ending if you don't do that, because it's based a lot on theory and imagination. There are a few cliches in the film, you can predict who will die and who will live, and the idea of "love" transcending all dimensions.
This is a sci-fi drama, and I really enjoyed it. It's 3 hours long, but very interesting. I highly recommend it, and it's probably a movie that makes more sense with multiple watches.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 04:29:38 EST »

Depending on the quantum physics models and theories that you look at, we live in a four dimensional universe. There can be 5, 10 or 26 dimensions according to the equations, particles, or energy you examine. The movie robot claimed the beings lived in five dimensions (Kaluza-Klein theory). Regardless any extra dimensions are curled up space or they could be flat. Depends on the theory and math you use to prove it.

The beings that sent the stable wormhole were probably beings that had evolved into other dimensions and used gravity to effect time. Gravity is not affected by time (at least in today's theories) because time being relative depending on where in space you are and what gravity field you experience. I have been studying quantum mechanics, string theory, and multidimensional universes to see if I can use one or all in science fiction stories.

The theories were well used, but dumbed down for the general public. You can only explain them with math that is unbelievably complex.

Regardless, I enjoyed the movie. It is long, but I thought the story telling keep my interest. Just a visual immersion that assaults you. The attention to detail impressed me. Go see it if you enjoy a well told story based on real science.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 03:20:32 EST »

Yes, it has to be dumbed down some - people won't go see it if it's a movie about mathematical equations.

I think I will buy it when it comes out and watch it a few times to see things I missed. Nolan's movies are always complex and you inevitably miss stuff the first time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: