VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 07:22:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report (Offense)  (Read 3521 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2015, 05:16:41 EDT »

OL:  Not their best night overall.  Really had issues in pass protection.  Running game they were ok times but not consistent.  The zone blocking outside sweep was essentially stuffed all night.  There several individual breakdowns.
To my knowledge we did not sub all night.  I think some evaluations need to be made, perhaps next week those can occur.

RB:  Hurd had a good night.  Kamira not so much.  With the exception of the first down in OT the dual back backfield was a bust.  Hurd had a very nice blitz pickup.

WR:  Another game of underperforming IMO.  Blocking is better this year but the ability to get separation is inconsistent to not observed.  A couple of times separation occurred but Dobbs was running for his life or the ball was dropped.

QB:  Dobbs' worst game within the last year other than the MO game last year.  Was looking down field more tonight but made several poor decisions. 

Coaching:  interesting at times.  Our most successful pass pattern was run twice, both successfully. With having trouble with pass protection why not run the quick pass routes?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:52:43 EDT »

Didn't get our playmakers involved...Pig...Von...etc. We should have screened them to death to slow down their pass rush...Very poor game plan. Awful.
HawkiVol
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 02:12:00 EDT »

Have to agree about the O-Line. Dobbs had someone in his face all night. I think several of the bad throws were because he was hurried and about to get his clocked cleaned. As far as the running game goes in the 2nd half there just weren't any running lanes open. Give credit to OU's halftime adjustments.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 02:36:42 EDT »

We ran two (2) fly sweeps (1 a half), even after Hurd showed we could get outside.

Little to no miss direction to counter their speed and aggressiveness

One throw to Von, which he slipped on, Pig rarely targeted.

The middle of the field seemed open all night, instead we kept throwing to the outside.  On one in the 3rd quarter, despite being covered very well North had a chance at a catch but for a poor throw.

Showed an absolute inability to handle the blitz.  In the first half it was almost always from the backside of the play but in the 2nd half they mixed play side and middle blitzes and combinations.  For the most part we had difficulty in picking them up, especially the backside ones.  No real ability to recognize blitzes observed, nor counter blitz strategy, such as quick throws.  Two screens tried to Kamara.  First they blew up, the 2nd was set up pretty well but a very poor throw by Dobbs.

One one throw in the 3rd North was wide open on a 9 bit Dobbs, running for his life, didn't have a chance to see him or throw to him, throw out of bounds.

A lot of individual breakdowns on the OL, especially the right side.  One substitution I observed, for our best OL.

In a repeat of last year Pig and Josh were the only receivers getting separation, both are the best blocking WRs. Malone is much better but not as consistent, his TD was a really well executed route.

The O staff, from Butch down, seemed to be coaching scared.  Which is a shame as the fans were ALL IN last night.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:43:22 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:23:43 EDT »

Didn't get our playmakers involved...Pig...Von...etc. We should have screened them to death to slow down their pass rush...Very poor game plan. Awful.

I'd say our initial game plan was pretty good, as we scored 17 points in 23 minutes and rolled up nearly 200 yards in the first half.

But then we became tentative and failed to adjust to whatever changes OU made.  The staff had better work on those two things or they won't be around after next year. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 12:35:51 EDT »

I'd say our initial game plan was pretty good, as we scored 17 points in 23 minutes and rolled up nearly 200 yards in the first half.

But then we became tentative and failed to adjust to whatever changes OU made.  The staff had better work on those two things or they won't be around after next year. 
we
Also went away from what we were doing
Biggest issue was right side of the OL, where again nothing was apparently adjusted

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 12:56:36 EDT »

When things are going poorly, I think we'd benefit from Dobbs pulling it down and taking off. He doesn't have to get big yards, but 3 or 4 at times can be huge. Throw-aways aren't always best in crunch time.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 01:07:08 EDT »

When things are going poorly, I think we'd benefit from Dobbs pulling it down and taking off. He doesn't have to get big yards, but 3 or 4 at times can be huge. Throw-aways aren't always best in crunch time.
they had a very effective shadow effort last night as well as often he had no real chance to free lance as the line play was poor all too often

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 01:17:02 EDT »

He didn't have many lanes, but a couple of opportunities seemed to present themselves. One was in the 4th quarter on 3rd down on the third to last possession -  I think. It was toward the north end zone on their side if the field.

I have not watched the replay, but that's how it appeared from my seat.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: