VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 03:18:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report (Defense)  (Read 2524 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2015, 05:29:12 EDT »

Did not lose the game.  With no offense in the 2nd half they got gassed.

DL:  what happened to Maggittt?  He was missed.  We couldn't tackle the QB.  Shy played well inside.  Burnett played well, needed to make tackles when he gets to the QB.  We played 3 DEs a lot tonight with Weathered in the game a lot, especially after Maggittt was hurt.

LB:  R-M had a great game, very gassed at times.  Mike was a liability at times.  McDowell spelled R-M a couple of times.

DB:  played better.  However there were let downs.  Moseley was up and down.  TK and Randolph played well.  When TK got hurt they originally swapped Randolph to the right side but in the 2nd OT they moved him back to the left side.

Cam was hurt and was off the field for their first TD (#8 was in for him).

Coaching:  much better on this side of the ball.  Showed some creativity at times

Punting was very, very good.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:19:24 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HawkiVol
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 02:34:46 EDT »

From what I could tell by watching TV, the crossing pattern seemed pretty much open all night. Many times their receivers  had a 1/2 step or more and Only bad throws by Mayfield prevented big gains and a couple of TDs. JMO
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 02:39:13 EDT »

From what I could tell by watching TV, the crossing pattern seemed pretty much open all night. Many times their receivers  had a 1/2 step or more and Only bad throws by Mayfield prevented big gains and a couple of TDs. JMO
we WERE getting pressure, especially the 2nd half.  A lot of those bad throws were the result of a DL breaking free and the QB not getting his feet set.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:05:18 EDT »

On the DL after substituting DTs between 2 and a DE we finally started playing Tuttle, who played a lot in the 3rd and early 4th but then not so much in the last sever series.  McKenzie played parts of 2 series in the 3rd.  Vickers was the iron man of the DTs.  Williams played a lot early but not as much as the game went on.  At DE Burnett had 2 series off (1 in the 2nd half when Lewis played his only snaps of the night).  Vereen played almost all the snaps after Maggittt was hurt.  Weatherd was the passing down 4th DL, played a lot, especially after Maggittt was hurt.  Very, very little substitution led, IMO, the poor play, and inability to tackle down the stretch.  Once again the DE flash of fall camp I did not see in the game.

At LB R-M played a fantastic game.  At Mike we have issues, especially in the passing game - coverage skills not observed.  When R-M needed a break McDowell came in for him.  Kirtland Jr got some snaps early but Ju,per played down the stretch

In the secondary TK showed his worth, even when not making picks.  Randolph bounced back from his (for him) bad game last week.  Cam was Cam.  Moseley and Forman were inconsistent in coverage.  At times they covered well and at others not so much.  The one fade TD was good coverage beat by a great throw and catch.  Martin had one series for Mosely and then covered for Cam when he had to leave the game (it appeared he was going through a concussion evaluation).  It seemed he had ok coverage on the TD pass but broke down when their QB extended the play.  The injuries have hurt us in the secondary.

We played a lot of people till the 4th when we went only with players the staff apperently were comfortable with and wore them out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:07:36 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:19:29 EDT »

Pirate on the DL, although we have tons of young talent at DT, they still lack experience and maybe conditioning.  In other words we have a great DL but depth is still an issue IMO.

Had the offense not forced them to play so much it would not have bit us IMO. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 12:34:20 EDT »

Pirate on the DL, although we have tons of young talent at DT, they still lack experience and maybe conditioning.  In other words we have a great DL but depth is still an issue IMO.

Had the offense not forced them to play so much it would not have bit us IMO. 
so,
We lose
One of our DEs and no Mixon or Phillips,'who was our"star"'of fall practice.mmselfminflicted wound IMO.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 06:15:10 EDT »

Good point I had forgotten about Phillips.

I would say for most of the game maggit and Burnett were doing so well we didn't need Phillips and at the end I guess they thought vereen would be fine. Vereen did have his moments last year. It would have been nice to see Phillips but I am on record as not trusting "practice heroes".  Ask Jim Donnan how that worked for him

My point was mostly about the dts. With Obrien out I definitely think we were very gassed there by the end of the game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: