VTTW Board Index
May 09, 2024, 12:31:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great article on our passing game issues Saturday  (Read 2586 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2015, 03:45:28 EDT »

https://footballconcepts.wordpress.com/2015/09/17/what-is-wrong-with-the-tennessee-passing-attack/

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:15:52 EDT »

Nothing really new there that wasn't discussed in the immediate postgame notations.  Inability to gain separation by the WRs, inexplicable lack of exploitation of the slants/middle of the field (see TE), etc.  Add it the failure to beat the blitz and the issues with the right side of the OL and we got Satureday evening.  Interesting that a couple of his examples were of Kerbyson having issues.  I thought on balance he had the best game of the OL Saturday

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 01:28:21 EDT »

It'll be interesting to see if Hall and Jones get more snaps, and if that makes a difference.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 01:41:13 EDT »

Nothing really new there that wasn't discussed in the immediate postgame notations.  Inability to gain separation by the WRs, inexplicable lack of exploitation of the slants/middle of the field (see TE), etc.  Add it the failure to beat the blitz and the issues with the right side of the OL and we got Satureday evening.  Interesting that a couple of his examples were of Kerbyson having issues.  I thought on balance he had the best game of the OL Saturday

Yes but he offerers specific examples of plays that did work and the video examples also back up what he says about protection and separation. It's also as you note a validation of some of the things you said.

He does point out plays that could have been called to counter the ou formation. On balance he seems to think the biggest factor was ol and I tend to agree.

What was new in that for me is where he points out that ou switched to a 1 deep safety....and states that's basically daring a team to throw. I haven't watched the replay past the first quarter yet and I was in the end zone so had not noticed that.

I agree also with his and others statements that stoops has shown how to stop us. Adjustments must be made.

I have to say our pass d was better against ou. Maybe our pass o can show similar improvement

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 08:51:23 EDT »

Yes but he offerers specific examples of plays that did work and the video examples also back up what he says about protection and separation. It's also as you note a validation of some of the things you said.

He does point out plays that could have been called to counter the ou formation. On balance he seems to think the biggest factor was ol and I tend to agree.

What was new in that for me is where he points out that ou switched to a 1 deep safety....and states that's basically daring a team to throw. I haven't watched the replay past the first quarter yet and I was in the end zone so had not noticed that.

I agree also with his and others statements that stoops has shown how to stop us. Adjustments must be made.

I have to say our pass d was better against ou. Maybe our pass o can show similar improvement

one thing not pointed out is that we effectivlley took Striker out of the game.  Very rarely was he the lead at the point of attack (he did hit Dobbs a few times but usually late).  However, OU used that against us and that led to the (usually) field blitz.  An example, I think it was Phil that posted the video of the LG bull fighter play.  But look closer at the scheme.  Striker went hard up the field drawing OU LT up with him.  Their RT is on the outside technique (before the guard deploys his cape and goes ol le).  Notwithstanding our OL slide right that opens a path for the safety, who if it was a pass, would have had a straight path to the QB.  As it was he showed great awareness that it was a run play and changed to filling a gap.  Good play design and good discipline, good defense.

One problem is that our receivers are not consistent at running routes.  But it is not all on the receiver.  The play to North I believe was back shoulder all the way but was a very bad pass by Dobbs.

BTW, it is often difficult to really tell the actual defense watching on Tv because they always follow the ball.  They actually tried the cover 1 in the 2nd quarter but the halftime adjustment was the key difference (not unlike our adjustments at half time and this non weather (TK) delay the week before).  Another example is how we disguise and/or change defenses pre snap.  Saturday we often would show cover 0 or cover 1 pre snap and drop into a two deep.  In the first half we would show the Mike covering a slot and then drop him back inside at the snap and covering him with a safety (essentially a 1 deep). 

Also, most of their better runs were when we had three DEs on the field.  Most of the time when we had two DTs we played the run pretty darn good. Unless it was a obvious run situation most of the time we were running three DEs (would vary positioning within the line, for example we would alternate Maggitt and Barnett inside before Barnett was hurt).

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 06:30:38 EDT »

I agree about the pass to North.  That was one I had a great view of and North was in great position.  A well thrown ball and it's a big gain, at a minimum.  Maybe Dobbs can get some reps on that route, because we really needed that saturday.

On the cover 1, they no doubt made additional adjustments at the half, but it's worth noting that our offense wasn't worth a shizzle from the moment they switched to the cover 1.  I am disappointed that we did not adjust better ourselves in the second half, but again, hopefully we learn and adjust in the off week.  Well...it feels like an off week.    

Interesting on the three DEs.  I would bet that was partially due to lack of depth at DT, but it may also have been because down 17-0 they were forced to pass and that was a great way to pressure Mayfield, who did get pressured quite a bit (our guys need to FINISH those sacks though  ).

On their rush game, I think after they slowed us on offense they realized they could be more deliberate on offense themselves, and they have a big bruising back so why not run him against an (undersized at times) line?

Which really just returns the onus to the offense.  Had we gone up 24-0 or perhaps even 20-0, they may have stayed in their pass game a bit more and we had that figured out pretty well  most of the game.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: