VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 04:49:18 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mizzou just got stuffed by Uconn on 4th and 1  (Read 4095 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:31:34 EDT »

But I thought it was the right call...weak OOC opponent in your home and early 4th quarter.  This is how games are won.

But...cough cough cough!!!  Doesn't always work, eh?   

And yes Virginia, there is a difference in UConn late in the game and OU early in the game.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:39:14 EDT »

But I thought it was the right call...weak OOC opponent in your home and early 4th quarter.  This is how games are won.

But...cough cough cough!!!  Doesn't always work, eh?   

And yes Virginia, there is a difference in UConn late in the game and OU early in the game.   

That it didn't work doesn't equate to it being the wrong call, and that it did work doesn't equate it to being the right call.  20/20 hindsight.  But, most people were saying to go for it last week prior to knowing what would happen.  I still say Coach Jones made a late career Coach Fulmer call there, and a Coach Dooley call at the end of regulation.  Very frustrating.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:54:19 EDT »

That it didn't work doesn't equate to it being the wrong call, and that it did work doesn't equate it to being the right call.  20/20 hindsight.  But, most people were saying to go for it last week prior to knowing what would happen.  I still say Coach Jones made a late career Coach Fulmer call there, and a Coach Dooley call at the end of regulation.  Very frustrating.

Well in spite of trolling a bit above, I thought there was a strong case for going for it.  But most people seem 100% on that, while I am more like 60-40.

The one part of the criticism I disagree with is that it was "sending a signal" to the team that we "were not really trying to win".  I think if that had been true, no way do we go through them for 14 points on two of the next 4 drives.  In fact, you can make the opposite case...that going for it too aggressively signals your team that you have no confidence in their ability to score later in the game.

Also the risk side of the decision is that not getting it might deflate your (yes still young) team that really hasn't had a lot of confidence builders in their career yet, and then maybe they get tentative even earlier than they did.

I do wish we had gone for it, but it didn't lose the game for us.  Given how badly our OL played later in the game, and the fact that OU has one of the better DLs we play this year, I am definitely okay with Butch's decision on that one.

On the other hand, yes, not trying to get 40 yards in 40 seconds, when the mo was ALL with OU, is definitely Dooleyesque.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 08:55:18 EDT »

Hate UT's play-calling and clock management in the 4th quarter? Mizzou makes ours looks brilliant. My goodness their choices have been abysmal.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 09:02:34 EDT »

Well in spite of trolling a bit above, I thought there was a strong case for going for it.  But most people seem 100% on that, while I am more like 60-40.

The one part of the criticism I disagree with is that it was "sending a signal" to the team that we "were not really trying to win".  I think if that had been true, no way do we go through them for 14 points on two of the next 4 drives.  In fact, you can make the opposite case...that going for it too aggressively signals your team that you have no confidence in their ability to score later in the game.

Also the risk side of the decision is that not getting it might deflate your (yes still young) team that really hasn't had a lot of confidence builders in their career yet, and then maybe they get tentative even earlier than they did.

I do wish we had gone for it, but it didn't lose the game for us.  Given how badly our OL played later in the game, and the fact that OU has one of the better DLs we play this year, I am definitely okay with Butch's decision on that one.

On the other hand, yes, not trying to get 40 yards in 40 seconds, when the mo was ALL with OU, is definitely Dooleyesque.   

I don't buy the "deflate your team" potential, as the defense would have been on the field with deafening noise and an opponent in position for a safety.  I think settling them down may have been a bigger issue.  I agree that decision didn't lose the game, and I don't recall anyone saying that.  It was just too much Coach Fulmer déjà vu for me.  The biggest missed opportunity in the game to me was Ellis dropping a certain TD and the Vols coming away with no points on that drive.  Just a very frustrating loss.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:04:07 EDT »

Stupid fake by UConn...just kick the FG, the kid has hit from that distance before.

Oh well, I've learned not to read too much into Mizzou's early season performance anymore.  Pinkel will likely have them in shape by the time they play us.

But I want to beat them....very badly.  

As much credit as I give to Pinkel for what he has done with the level of talent he has recruited, he has also profited tremendously from the East being down.

I think a big step forward for Tennessee is that we have to be able to beat a team like Mizzou, where we are clearly more talented than them but they have a good coach.  Having said that, our talent advantage is still not that great, but in coming years it definitely will be.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:12:53 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 09:04:17 EDT »

Dumb call on the fake there.  UConn had struggled with their kicks the whole game.  Everyone in the stadium knew they weren't going for that FG.  

Still, I think Mizzou is in for a long season.  Last year, other than the inexplicable loss to IU, they looked really good early in the season.  This year, they've struggled against every mid-major they've played.  

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 09:05:06 EDT »

No matter what, the SEC is struggling this year.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 09:06:07 EDT »

Dumb call on the fake there.  UConn had struggled with their kicks the whole game.  Everyone in the stadium knew they weren't going for that FG.  

Still, I think Mizzou is in for a long season.  Last year, other than the inexplicable loss to IU, they looked really good early in the season.  This year, they've struggled against every mid-major they've played.  
Matty Mauk is a hit or miss QB. When he stinks he really stinks.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 09:09:02 EDT »

And don't look now, but Tulsa is rolling through OU's defense like Jared Fogle at a daycare center.  Of course, they can't stop OU, either, so...

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 09:14:17 EDT »

Matty Mauk is a hit or miss QB. When he stinks he really stinks.

Very true.  I have never been impressed by him and hate that we have lost to a team with him as QB

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 09:16:27 EDT »

Very true.  I have never been impressed by him and hate that we have lost to a team with him as QB

Did I hear them say that he's just a junior?  I swear, he's been there for about 40 years.  I distinctly remember him throwing TD passes to Kellen Winslow...Sr.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: