VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 01:21:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: While most of our facilities are first rate...  (Read 3365 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:31:30 EDT »

...I think it's safe to say that in baseball, we're falling way, way behind.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oKBzHm_GU6w" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/oKBzHm_GU6w</a>

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:19:34 EDT »

Does baseball's revenue even warrant that type of expense for a stadium. How does MSU afford it? They don't make huge amounts from football and basketball either.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:37:20 EDT »

Does baseball's revenue even warrant that type of expense for a stadium. How does MSU afford it? They don't make huge amounts from football and basketball either.

With the recent ESPN deal, every SEC program is flush with cash- even Vandy and the MS schools.  And it will be even more pronounced once SECN money starts kicking in.  MSU is always near the top of the yearly attendance rankings for baseball, so I guess that's how they justify it.  We actually have a master plan in place for LNS, but even when it's complete, it will be nowhere near that (MSU) level. 

As much as we've done with our facilities over the past decade, there is still a lot left to do.  The South and East sides of Neyland need to be brought up to match the other half.  T&F needs some major upgrades to TBT, and since Stokely was demolished, they now have no indoor facility.  That's a HUGE need for recruiting- and as we've seen in the past, a strong T&F program can also be a boon to football.  TBA needs new locker rooms.  The tennis facility is becoming pretty dated.  And as previously mentioned, baseball is falling way behind.  As if Hart didn't have enough on his plate getting us competitive on the fields of play, facilities has now become a never ending arms race, especially in the SEC.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:51:58 EDT »

Not until attendance picks up significantly.  Mississippi State averaged over 8K per game this year, while UT is around 2K per game, which is 12thish in the SEC.  LSU averaged over 11K to lead the way again this year, not only in the SEC, but nationwide.  

The playing surface at Lindsey Nelson is one of the best in the country in college baseball.  The stadium, while adequate, is smallish, but smallish is more than big enough right now.  

I've seen quite a few of the newer venues in college baseball.  The only one that compares with the top half of the SEC is Texas, and that place is incredible.  

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0630/2014%20National%20Attendance%20Leaders.pdf

Go Army - Beat Navy!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:02:10 EDT »

According to the article I saw, MSU is raising over 50% from donors or pledges. So not all of this is AD money.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:51:06 EDT »

According to the article I saw, MSU is raising over 50% from donors or pledges. So not all of this is AD money.

Which is how UT raises capital for most of its new facilities, as well. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 03:20:29 EDT »

I know Knoxville isn't really a baseball town, but if UT can once again sustain some success, there's no reason they can't average 5000 or more a game.  They approached that the last time they were good, and since then, their main competition for the local baseball dollar (the Smokies) has moved out of town.  Look at LVs softball- they've been consistently successful, and now they're already looking at expanding their 5 year old stadium, because it can't contain the weekend crowds.  No reason the men can't duplicate that.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 05:14:35 EDT »

I know Knoxville isn't really a baseball town, but if UT can once again sustain some success, there's no reason they can't average 5000 or more a game.  They approached that the last time they were good, and since then, their main competition for the local baseball dollar (the Smokies) has moved out of town.  Look at LVs softball- they've been consistently successful, and now they're already looking at expanding their 5 year old stadium, because it can't contain the weekend crowds.  No reason the men can't duplicate that.

BDV, I have been a baseball season ticket holder since LNS was first built.  That program has never even approached averaging 5K per game.  Even during the best years of Helton and Burke they were only in the 3K range.  

Softball has done really well, but that stadium only seats 1,600 people.  With the success they have had there is a legit need to expand.  

Baseball has just never taken off here from a spectator standpoint.  Too many conflicts with high school and youth baseball, both of which are huge in the Knoxville area.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: