VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 02:21:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm all in on Gundy  (Read 5684 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:07:28 EST »

My first choice now. Go get him Hart

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 06:30:02 EST »

Don't think UT could outbid T Boone Pickens

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 06:36:45 EST »

He has interviewed at UT..and I don't think money is the only issue he has with OK state.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:39:15 EST »

He has interviewed at UT..and I don't think money is the only issue he has with OK state.

If that's the case UT should go for it! He would be a homerun hire like Spurrier at Florida

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:31:47 EST »

Don't think UT could outbid T Boone Pickens
I don't think it is about $$$

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:15:55 EST »

He has told Big 12 media that he hasn't interviewed.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:26:19 EST »

He has told Big 12 media that he hasn't interviewed.
I guess he just hosted a party at his house yesterday

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 02:34:41 EST »

I guess he just hosted a party at his house yesterday

Maybe that's it. I was thinking maybe he picked up the UT officials in person at the Stillwater airport for a little sightseeing. Of course, there's nothing to really see in Stillwater, so...
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 02:38:10 EST »

Seriously, though, re: Gundy, what does he bring to the table that no one else does? (Other than being the only serious UT candidate to have a YouTube video go viral, of course.) I know 2010 and 2011 were exceptionally good seasons, especially for Oklahoma State, but the Cowboys had a subpar season, even for themselves, this year. I haven't paid too much attention; were they simply starting over from scratch? Letdown from last year's championship season?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 02:58:23 EST »

Seriously, though, re: Gundy, what does he bring to the table that no one else does? (Other than being the only serious UT candidate to have a YouTube video go viral, of course.) I know 2010 and 2011 were exceptionally good seasons, especially for Oklahoma State, but the Cowboys had a subpar season, even for themselves, this year. I haven't paid too much attention; were they simply starting over from scratch? Letdown from last year's championship season?

Of the candidates we have, he's the only one to have significant experience and a high level of success in a BCS league. My other favorite, Patterson, has a long track record but not in a BCS league (just one 7-5 year in the Big XII). Larry Fedora has one year at 8-4 in the ACC. Al Golden has two years at Miami and is 13-11.

If you consider Jimbo Fisher a serious candidate he does have a pretty good three years at FSU, but it's very easy to argue that he faced very little in the way of resistance in the ACC and inherited a program with a huge name in a state stocked with talent. Considering FSU's circumstances I'm not sure his time there has been very impressive.

Oklahoma State has had decent years on and off but before Gundy they hadn't won 10+ games since Barry Sanders was there in 1988. Recruiting to OSU is difficult because you're a distant second to OU in your own state and compete against a number of higher profile schools for Texas recruits.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 03:07:48 EST »

He has had to recruit players to come to Stillwater, OK, population 45K while being the step child in the state of Oklahoma. I mentioned in another post that I think he has more of a possibility of using more of our current staff and less of his OKST staff if he came to Knoxville. Plus, losing Weeden and Blackmon hurt the offense.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:04:41 EST »

If you look at his resume' at Ok state, he has rebuilt that program. 11-2, 12-1, 7-5 the last three years, and this year was a rebuilding year. He's one who gets more with less.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 06:02:44 EST »

How effectively could he recruit the southeast?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 07:12:53 EST »

How effectively could he recruit the southeast?

That would depend on his staff. The staff does most of the recruiting, the HC closes the deal.

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:31:15 EST »

You could take Gundy, a couple from his staff, add someone like Ellis Johnson as DC, and fill in the blanks with recruiters and be very effective IMO.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 08:41:31 EST »

He'd be okay, but OSU wasn't even that good this year.  We could do far worse though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:50 EST »

He'd be okay, but OSU wasn't even that good this year.  We could do far worse though.

Okie State lost a lot of experienced players after last season

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: