VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 07:33:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We've all heard the saying, "It's not about winning the press conference"  (Read 1881 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2017, 01:03:53 EST »

It's not about making a big splash hire, it's about long term success, they say.  

But with this bizzaro coaching search having reached this point, I think "winning the press conference" may be just as important.  Because if we roll out a Chad Morris or Dave Dorean later today (and I think it will be today), they will instantly have zero support from this fanbase.  They'll get no honeymoon period, and the "long term" will be out of the question.  

If we've truly reached the point in this search where we're seriously looking at the names that are being rumored, I think there's only two options: Tee Martin, and (I can't believe I'm even saying this) Lane Kiffin.  Make no mistake, I loathe Kiffin, and he'll get zero support from me personally.  But it's clear at this point that a large portion of our fans want him back.  And our next coach HAS to have at least SOME support on day one.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:09:25 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:34:59 EST »

It's not about making a big splash hire, it's about long term success, they say.  

But with this bizzaro coaching search having reached this point, I think "winning the press conference" may be just as important.  Because if we roll out a Chad Morris or Dave Dorean later today (and I think it will be today), they will instantly have zero support from this fanbase.  They'll get no honeymoon period, and the "long term" will be out of the question.  

If we've truly reached the point in this search where we're seriously looking at the names that are being rumored, I think there's only two options: Tee Martin, and (I can't believe I'm even saying this) Lane Kiffin.  Make no mistake, I loathe Kiffin, and he'll get zero support from me personally.  But it's clear at this point that a large portion of our fans want him back.  And our next coach HAS to have at least SOME support on day one.

I don't see Kiffin coming back, I think that his display of interest is just bait, trying to get a chance punk UT on more time. I'm wondering if something happened behind the scenes that caused him to ditch UT in the middle of the night, and if so, he wouldn't come back

11B4PJ3F7
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 03:02:25 EST »

Lane being Lane, but can't tell whether for good or evil.  I personally think he would come back, but my recent track record on coach predicting is less than stellar.

I don't see Kiffin coming back, I think that his display of interest is just bait, trying to get a chance punk UT on more time. I'm wondering if something happened behind the scenes that caused him to ditch UT in the middle of the night, and if so, he wouldn't come back

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 03:58:32 EST »

No, you don't give Kiffin the opportunity to stick it to (bone) us again. It is ok to take the heat for being principled. Let's not take it for being ridiculous. If you even fathom Kiffin then why not consider Spurrier? Or has that possibility already dawned on someone and it became a no? There is a right choice out there and it is whoever can amass a good support staff. That is the real key to success.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 04:02:02 EST »

I don't think anything at all happened in Knoxville, other than he wanted to go to Southern Cal. 

I also think he would come back in a heartbeat.  I still don't want him, but at this point he's not bottom of the list.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: