VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 05:56:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UNC about to go down. Could we still back in to a 1 seed?  (Read 298 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2024, 04:41:16 EDT »

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 04:51:51 EDT »

We beat the SECT champs, the B10T champs, and the ACCT champs. Who deserves it more than us?

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 04:52:00 EDT »

Not according to Jay Bilas, who's calling the game.

And we all know that he is the all-knowing, all-seeing guru of college basketball. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 04:54:42 EDT »

Not according to Jay Bilas, who's calling the game.

And we all know that he is the all-knowing, all-seeing guru of college basketball. 

I thought it was far-fetched when I posted it- but now that I look at things a little more closely, I think it's a real possibility. Lunardi had us as the #5 overall and UNC at #4 before their game tipped off. And they just lost. Sooooooooo?

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 04:57:54 EDT »

I thought it was far-fetched when I posted it- but now that I look at things a little more closely, I think it's a real possibility. Lunardi had us as the #5 overall and UNC at #4 before their game tipped off. And they just lost. Sooooooooo?

Well, I'll back you on this, since it doesn't cost me anything, but unfortunately, UNC went to the finals of their conference tournament and we went out in our first game. And they beat us this year.

But I won't pass on the #1 seed even if seems unearned.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 05:01:13 EDT »

Well, I'll back you on this, since it doesn't cost me anything, but unfortunately, UNC went to the finals of their conference tournament and we went out in our first game. And they beat us this year.

But I won't pass on the #1 seed even if seems unearned.

But their conference is trash. A win over Duke is really all that could've helped them, and they didn't get to play them. A loss to an MSU team that was already a tourney team anyway, even if it came early, is still less damaging than a title game loss to NCSU, who was well outside the bubble.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 05:10:31 EDT »

Iowa State has a legit argument after their rout of Houston today. They won?t get it, but deserve it over UNC imo.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 05:17:01 EDT »

But their conference is trash. A win over Duke is really all that could've helped them, and they didn't get to play them. A loss to an MSU team that was already a tourney team anyway, even if it came early, is still less damaging than a title game loss to NCSU, who was well outside the bubble.

I agree with you. But you know how this works. The royalty gets the benefit of the doubt. And all of the expert bracket predictors are saying "UNC".

Back in my day, the saying was, "You can't fight the system."

"Back in my day" was before the written word. But it was still the word.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 05:20:20 EDT »

There is a new entry in the #1 seed sweepstakes. The talking head on ESPN just said that Iowa State should be a #1 seed. That would shake up things.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 05:21:05 EDT »

I agree with you. But you know how this works. The royalty gets the benefit of the doubt. And all of the expert bracket predictors are saying "UNC".

Back in my day, the saying was, "You can't fight the system."

"Back in my day" was before the written word. But it was still the word.

I didn't even want the 1 seed out there- but then I saw Arizona play. I don't think they get far. If UNC and AZ are 1 and 2 in that region, then at least one low seed is going to the Final Four.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 04:38:45 EDT »

If we had lost to a freaking 8-10 conference team in a a hard fought game .....then maybe. Getting cornholed by a 8-10 team and losing to them twice...the answer is no. Add the fact we pretty much go cornholed by Ky at home to finish the regular season.....it's a big no.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 05:21:41 EDT »

If we had lost to a freaking 8-10 conference team in a a hard fought game .....then maybe. Getting cornholed by a 8-10 team and losing to them twice...the answer is no. Add the fact we pretty much go cornholed by Ky at home to finish the regular season.....it's a big no.

Yeah, I get it. We took a pretty bad loss and don?t deserve it. But what no one has adequately explained is why UNC does. Going into championship week, lunardi still had us as a #1 seed. Now mind you this is one of the guys who frequently likes to remind us that conference tournaments don?t matter. But apparently they do in the case of a blue blood. We took a quad 1 loss. Yes, we looked terrible, but we DID lose to a tourney team. UNC beat two quad 2 tomato cans then took a bad quad 2 loss where they trailed wire to wire. What did they do to pass us?

Iowa State? They aren?t even under consideration. They only played two P5 OOC opponents (A&M and VPI) and lost both. Yes, they?re playing arguably better than anyone right now, but they dug themselves too deep an early hole to get a 1 seed.

So if not us, then who? And why?

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 06:05:55 EDT »

Just to play devils advocate, Iowa State is 10-6 in quad 1 games and they are 6-1 in quad 2. They play in a conference that will likely have 9 teams in the NCAAT.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 04:49:19 EDT »

I had accepted we were a no. 2 seed after we lost to UK.  I am mildly surprised anyone was still discussing it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: