VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 12:38:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How did Tiger High get the talent they have? Are the using leftover Calipari  (Read 4578 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:49:48 EDT »

recruiting tactics? Got to give them credit, they have done something the Tide or the Vols haven't done lately....beat Ole Miss. I know their conference schedule is weak in general, but they have been a surprise.

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:53:48 EDT »

Their QB is the reason they are doing so well. Kid is fantastic, definitely a pro prospect.

Good find for that staff.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 05:39:05 EDT »

Their QB is the reason they are doing so well. Kid is fantastic, definitely a pro prospect.

Good find for that staff.
That's just it. Do you think the Vols beat Memphis? Do you think the Vols beat Ole Miss? Why or why not? Memphis coach is going to have more quality wins than Jones if Jones doesn't get it in gear. We have not lost to a team that is better than us, IMHO. Is that not on the coaches?

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 07:43:03 EDT »

That's just it. Do you think the Vols beat Memphis? Do you think the Vols beat Ole Miss? Why or why not?

Yes and yes. Tennessee has taken it on the chin with some tough losses this year, which has caused too many of our fans to lose perspective. Florida was ranked No. 8 in the country and considered a dark horse playoff contender before last week's loss to LSU, and Tennessee should've beaten them. I blame our coaches for that failed opportunity, but the fact doesn't change that Tennessee is capable of beating most teams in America right now.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:20:38 EDT »

That's just it. Do you think the Vols beat Memphis? Do you think the Vols beat Ole Miss? Why or why not? Memphis coach is going to have more quality wins than Jones if Jones doesn't get it in gear. We have not lost to a team that is better than us, IMHO. Is that not on the coaches?

We absolutely can beat them, and we absolutely could lose to them. Yeah I'd say our losses are definitely on the coaches. I don't know too many people that would say otherwise. However, the UGA game showed that they have not lost the team, and they can evolve and coach better. They need to show growth.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 10:03:10 EDT »

We absolutely can beat them, and we absolutely could lose to them. Yeah I'd say our losses are definitely on the coaches. I don't know too many people that would say otherwise. However, the UGA game showed that they have not lost the team, and they can evolve and coach better. They need to show growth.

I completely agree with this. 

I was seriously concerned after the Arkansas game, but I was impressed and pleased by the play and effort against UGA, both from the players and the staff.  Here's hoping we've turned the corner and will continue to grow and show progress.

Go Big Orange!!!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 01:04:51 EDT »

Memphis is stacked with 2 stars and walkons......and a QB that plays like a 5 star. Real good coaching and player development means a lot.

I bet the QB and the coach are gone after this season..
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 03:30:37 EDT »

All that and Ole Miss was seriously overated considering that their best OL has been suspended.  By all accounts, the kid (Tunsil) is likely a top 5 draft pick type who will be a perennial  pro bowler.  You can almost have a running game with just one guy like that.  Bammer used to do it years ago when Shaun Alexander was there.  Alexander's production dropped off when the stud OL (have no clue what his name was) moved on, but bammer folks used to joke about the fact that Alexander almost always ran behind the same guy.

By the same token, while Ole Miss didn't have a dominating ground attack last year it was a lot better with that Tunsil, and they have had a couple injuries there as well. Lack of a ground game has hurt them badly this year.

To further compound the problem, they lost a similarly talented DLNikemediche  to a concussion early in the game against Memphis.

Ole Miss kind of got lucky against bammer this year, but they have been since exposed. 

And as much as people like to compare Freeze to Jones, he was only 9-4 last year, his third year, which is well within Jones' reach this season.

I do expect them to do better down the stretch though, as they apparently paid off the right folks in the NCAA and will get their stud OL back.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JDBVOL
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 05:03:36 EDT »

Remember this, 4 plays go the Vols way (not coaching-but players executing) and this is a 5-1 or maybe 6-0 Vol team as well.  The talent is on the Hill, Memphis might have developed theirs but we have to fine tune ours.  It is coming I just know it, hope it arrives soon as in Saturday.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 03:21:04 EDT »

All that and Ole Miss was seriously overated considering that their best OL has been suspended.  By all accounts, the kid (Tunsil) is likely a top 5 draft pick type who will be a perennial  pro bowler.  You can almost have a running game with just one guy like that.  Bammer used to do it years ago when Shaun Alexander was there.  Alexander's production dropped off when the stud OL (have no clue what his name was) moved on, but bammer folks used to joke about the fact that Alexander almost always ran behind the same guy.

By the same token, while Ole Miss didn't have a dominating ground attack last year it was a lot better with that Tunsil, and they have had a couple injuries there as well. Lack of a ground game has hurt them badly this year.

To further compound the problem, they lost a similarly talented DLNikemediche  to a concussion early in the game against Memphis.

Ole Miss kind of got lucky against bammer this year, but they have been since exposed. 

And as much as people like to compare Freeze to Jones, he was only 9-4 last year, his third year, which is well within Jones' reach this season.

I do expect them to do better down the stretch though, as they apparently paid off the right folks in the NCAA and will get their stud OL back.

It's hard to figure Freeze out. On the one hand he's recruited like a madman at a virtually traditionless small market school, and won some really impressive individual games. On the other, he's still not sniffing a division title and losing some head-scratchers.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 04:00:14 EDT »

It's hard to figure Freeze out. On the one hand he's recruited like a madman at a virtually traditionless small market school, and won some really impressive individual games. On the other, he's still not sniffing a division title and losing some head-scratchers.

Maybe he isn't praying enough?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 04:18:56 EDT »

Maybe he isn't praying enough?

Are we talking frequency or intensity? Maybe he needs to squeeze his hands together harder, or squint, or grit his teeth or something.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: