VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 10:47:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In each of Tennessee's first 3 losses, it was easy to criticize coaching  (Read 3782 times)
Creek Walker
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:31:39 EDT »

But make no mistake, my Vol brethren, Butch Jones & Co. out-coached Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and the rest of the Alabama staff today. We can't say the best team lost, like we could legitimately say after Florida and perhaps after Oklahoma. The best team was the one out there making plays at the end of the game to win. But Tennessee sure as hell out-played Alabama today. Alabama is fortunate to still be in the playoff hunt, and they know it.

I've been waiting all season for this coaching staff to show me something -- anything, just some sort of progress. Early in the second quarter against Georgia, I tweeted that Tennessee would have a new coach after the 2016 season. But for the six quarters since then, Butch Jones has given me a lot to feel better about.

I'm not saying this staff is without issues; it isn't. But I'm starting to believe that this staff can be tweaked enough to carry Tennessee to college football's promised land.

Again: Butch Jones soundly out-coached the guy everyone considers the best coach in America. I'm not claiming a moral victory, but I'm not taking that fact lightly, either.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:00:09 EDT »

If we continue to get the effort (both players and coaches) from the past two games, along with the kind of recruiting Butch has been doing... We're going to have some great times.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:00:34 EDT »

But make no mistake, my Vol brethren, Butch Jones & Co. out-coached Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and the rest of the Alabama staff today. We can't say the best team lost, like we could legitimately say after Florida and perhaps after Oklahoma. The best team was the one out there making plays at the end of the game to win. But Tennessee sure as hell out-played Alabama today. Alabama is fortunate to still be in the playoff hunt, and they know it.

I've been waiting all season for this coaching staff to show me something -- anything, just some sort of progress. Early in the second quarter against Georgia, I tweeted that Tennessee would have a new coach after the 2016 season. But for the six quarters since then, Butch Jones has given me a lot to feel better about.

I'm not saying this staff is without issues; it isn't. But I'm starting to believe that this staff can be tweaked enough to carry Tennessee to college football's promised land.

Again: Butch Jones soundly out-coached the guy everyone considers the best coach in America. I'm not claiming a moral victory, but I'm not taking that fact lightly, either.

Butch and staff seem to have learned from their early season mistakes, and that's really all we can ask for.  Win out, and I think we have a lot to look forward to next year.  

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:03:58 EDT »

Agree 100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 03:06:54 EDT »

Well said. I've seen a lot that is promising from the staff over the past two games.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 03:19:55 EDT »

Agree
We used the springboard of the UGA win and the bye to good effect

Wwe still aren't deep with injuries and really wore down in the end but the team and the staff never quit and fought to the end

I was telling all who would listen walkin out that I am VERY confident with the rest of the season

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 03:44:19 EDT »

I was telling all who would listen walkin out that I am VERY confident with the rest of the season

yep.  especially considering how uk and mizzou, our remaining road games, looked today

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 03:48:21 EDT »

Coaching, how about keeping Wolf in for Dobbs' semi roll to the left to give him time for Smith to clear on the long cross/dig for the first of two long completions on the quick TD drive.

There were two really nice routes run on that drive

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: