VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 10:35:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Random UT and SEC observations this first day of November  (Read 4838 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2015, 06:19:11 EST »

UK's field really sucks
- UK's defense tackles like a high school defense. Go watch Hurd's run. I thought it looked bad live, it is pathetic on TV in slow motion. There was one guy who didn't even make an attempt, just walked by him.
- It's really nice to see #50 Vereen coming on. He has always had the quickness, but it seems like the light has come on for him. Could make himself some money in the NFL if he keeps this up
- Same with Malone. A good team needs a go to WR. He is shaping up to be that guy.
- WTF is Mark Richt doing? He needs to go with Lambert, not some 3rd string walk on kid whose name sounds like a furniture trend - and in a game vs FL?
- I know we should coast to 8-4, but Mizzou bothers me. They play good D and that Mauk kid has had our number. Need to beat them like we beat UK.
- It's hard to imagine how bad we were at kick/punt return at one time. Remember we would just be happy to field a punt cleanly one year?
- Bama will beat LSU and end up in the SECC, and likely the SEC rep in playoffs.
- SCe's defense is swiss cheese. Possibly worse than UK's
- Auburn is in danger of not going .500 this year. They'd better beat Georgia, or they won't. Terrible job by Malzahn this year.
- I'll admit that coach Donkey has made an ass out of everyone who criticized him this year.
- One of the worst reviews ever last night. I can see making that targeting call live (even though it was a late flag), but how do you review that call and still call it targeting? If anything it should be in a training video of what is NOT targeting.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 09:01:00 EST »

- I know we should coast to 8-4, but Mizzou bothers me. They play good D and that Mauk kid has had our number. Need to beat them like we beat UK.

Well, Mauk is no longer a worry.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/missouri-suspends-maty-mauk-for-remainder-of-season-191351256.html
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 09:47:31 EST »

Hate to say it, but that helps....

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 10:05:33 EST »

Yes that helps. Their offense is really really bad without him
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:27:14 EST »

- It's really nice to see #50 Vereen coming on. He has always had the quickness, but it seems like the light has come on for him. Could make himself some money in the NFL if he keeps this up
- Same with Malone. A good team needs a go to WR. He is shaping up to be that guy.
- WTF is Mark Richt doing? He needs to go with Lambert, not some 3rd string walk on kid whose name sounds like a furniture trend - and in a game vs FL?

- It's hard to imagine how bad we were at kick/punt return at one time. Remember we would just be happy to field a punt cleanly one year?
- Bama will beat LSU and end up in the SECC, and likely the SEC rep in playoffs.
-
- Auburn is in danger of not going .500 this year. They'd better beat Georgia, or they won't. Terrible job by Malzahn this year.
- I'll admit that coach Donkey has made an ass out of everyone who criticized him this year.

I've said it before, but Vereen played really well last year until Maggit eclipsed him near the end.  Not sure what happened, he may have been nicked up, but I am not surprised he is back, but I am very glad.

On Malone, earlier I posted that we needed a "go to" guy to emerge.  He has.  Behind him, either Smith or Von Pearson are very adequate.  Williams might be good if he gets healthy.  Johnson is good in relief. I like Jennings, but wonder if he might make a better DB, which is a position we are thin at anyway.  North apparently still not healthy.  In short, I think Malone, Smith and Von Pearson and the "big three" that we need, but there is at least some depth.

I wonder about Richt.  I recall that Dooley in 2010 left in the unpopular Simms until we got to the soft part of the schedule, against literally 4 of the worst teams in the country and then stuck Bray in.  Made him look good.  I think that was the point, after all Dooley was a weasel attorney.  I wonder if Richt basically dialed in the game and set up Futon (or whatever) as the fall guy?  Seems unlikely, but who knows.

On the punt returning, that was either Dooley's last year or Butch's first, or both, but yeah, it was bad.  Hm. Maybe the progress of the rest of our team will match that next year.   

I know why you are picking bammer, but for all that is holy I hope you are wrong. 

Yes, Malzahn has underachieved this year, but it's easy to forget that he massively overachieved in his first year.  From 3-9 to 12-1 and an SEC championship in one season.  Since then, they are worse, but they have hardly been embarrassed this year other than the LSU game.  I think even a good coach has an off year every now and then.  These days it seems that's not allowed, but that just means fan expectations have become ridiculous.   

Coach Donkey?  Are you referring to Butch being stubborn? 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 01:02:55 EST »

Coach Donkey?  Are you referring to Butch being stubborn? 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 05:42:29 EST »

Yes, Malzahn has underachieved this year, but it's easy to forget that he massively overachieved in his first year.  From 3-9 to 12-1 and an SEC championship in one season.  Since then, they are worse, but they have hardly been embarrassed this year other than the LSU game.  I think even a good coach has an off year every now and then.  These days it seems that's not allowed, but that just means fan expectations have become ridiculous.   

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 01:51:30 EST »

I think we have some very good receivers it's just that Dobbs tends throw a lot of passes really high (I'm very glad that there have been so few INTs) and/or low, behind etc. I remember well Von having very good run skills when he catches the ball in stride but we seldom get to see those skills (remember Smith against Ga) because they have to jump, twist, dive or stop so often. I wish Dobbs would get better, and he has at completions (but much of that is attributable to receivers IMO making very good catches, Dobbs has gotten better of at least giving them an opportunity to make good catches) but lots of room for improvement in hitting guys in stride. We should win out fairly comfortably....8-4 sounds good! Now if we can get the Longhorns in a bowl and whip their butts in a humiliating fashion, it would be a great end to a good season!           
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 02:43:06 EST »

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 04:05:54 EST »

I think we have some very good receivers it's just that Dobbs tends throw a lot of passes really high (I'm very glad that there have been so few INTs) and/or low, behind etc. I remember well Von having very good run skills when he catches the ball in stride but we seldom get to see those skills (remember Smith against Ga) because they have to jump, twist, dive or stop so often. I wish Dobbs would get better, and he has at completions (but much of that is attributable to receivers IMO making very good catches, Dobbs has gotten better of at least giving them an opportunity to make good catches) but lots of room for improvement in hitting guys in stride. We should win out fairly comfortably....8-4 sounds good! Now if we can get the Longhorns in a bowl and whip their butts in a humiliating fashion, it would be a great end to a good season!           

Agree about Dobbs.  Again, FWIW it seems a repetition thing to me. 

He threw for 3625 yards as a senior, which is impressive, but only completed 57% of those. 

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/josh-dobbs/OnADtPTxEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

Hm, well, it has seemed to get better, hopefully he will improve more.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 02:07:15 EST »

I am not sure the Longhorns will be in a bowl.

I'd like to play Michigan in a bowl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: