VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 10:38:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaden Springer announcement makes it official, VOL baby  (Read 5753 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2019, 07:49:44 EDT »

I used to love watch him and Darden hook up on some great passes and alley-oops. The Dauber.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 03:56:38 EDT »

BK definitely had the best NBA career of any former Vol.  He was unstoppable for the Nets, from what I've heard, until he was slowed by a devastating injury.  Led the NBA in scoring in 1984-85, which I believe he's the only former Vol to do so.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 02:50:26 EDT »

Nut, Bernard was a three time AA AND three time SECPOY.  He played 14 seasons (actually just over 11 full seasons because of injuries) in the NBA and was a 4 time All Star.  He averaged 23 PPG in the NBA, and he's in the Naismith Basketball HOF. 

I love Grant Williams, but there is no way he is ever going to have those numbers or earn those designations.  He'll be a good role player, but he is not near the player - either at UT nor in the NBA - that King was. 

I think I am biased towards GW because I actually saw him play while Bernard was before my time as a Vol fan. It's actually really difficult to compare players from two different eras.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 05:20:14 EDT »

I think I am biased towards GW because I actually saw him play while Bernard was before my time as a Vol fan. It's actually really difficult to compare players from two different eras.

Don't doubt that.

But that was a pretty danged good era, too.  Look at the number of players from that era in the SEC who are in the hall of fame, and it wasn't still a white player era, either.  And I don't mean that in any way racial, just in a reality way. 

King also had to share the ball, just like Grant did.  Ernie Grunfeld and Mike Jackson were every bit as good as were Admiral and any of Grant's other team mates.  Plus King played in an era that didn't have the three point line or a shot clock.  Put those two in during King's career at UT and his numbers are much higher. 

I look at it this way.  Put Grant in King's era and he's still a very good player.  Put King in Grant's era, and he is still a superstar. He had no weakness in his game. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 09:50:35 EDT »

Don't doubt that.

But that was a pretty danged good era, too.  Look at the number of players from that era in the SEC who are in the hall of fame, and it wasn't still a white player era, either.  And I don't mean that in any way racial, just in a reality way. 

King also had to share the ball, just like Grant did.  Ernie Grunfeld and Mike Jackson were every bit as good as were Admiral and any of Grant's other team mates.  Plus King played in an era that didn't have the three point line or a shot clock.  Put those two in during King's career at UT and his numbers are much higher. 

I look at it this way.  Put Grant in King's era and he's still a very good player.  Put King in Grant's era, and he is still a superstar. He had no weakness in his game. 

If the 3 point goals existed when he played, Jackson would hold  the Tennessee record, I have zero doubt

I consider King the greatest VOL I ever saw play
King could shoot out to about 15 feet, rebounded the best of any forward I have ever seen and was an underrated passer.  Also, he was the most fierce competitor I have ever seen, perhaps more so than Al Wilson.  When a fan threw a cigarette in his hair in Lex he vowed to never lose to KY again, and he didn't.
To have a front row seat (I did once) to a King vs Robey/Phillips battle was to witness true combat under the basket and King more than held his on (he threw Phillips off his back into my lap)
King played a LOT more low post than Grant, far more - different era

Ernie G the most intelligent (ask Kevin Grevey)
King benefited greatly from Ernie G's passing but it worked both ways.  They were unselfish with the ball Ernie would give up a 10-15' jumper for a King layup/dunk.  Teams would often double up King front and back and the front guy would react to Ernie, leaving King 1v1 with a guy backing him, who knew he was beat before the ball arrived in King's hands
They both would feed each other driving the lane.

It was a great era for Tennessee BB, led by the original carnival maestro Ray Mears

The last two years with Grant and Admiral were great but my $$$ rests with Ernie & Bernie (STILL have the SI cover)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 09:52:32 EDT »

If the 3 point goals existed when he played, Jackson would hold  the Tennessee record, I have zero doubt

I consider King the greatest VOL I ever saw play
King could shoot out to about 15 feet, rebounded the best of any forward I have ever seen and was an underrated passer.  Also, he was the most fierce competitor I have ever seen, perhaps more so than Al Wilson.  When a fan threw a cigarette in his hair in Lex he vowed to never lose to KY again, and he didn't.
To have a front row seat (I did once) to a King vs Robey/Phillips battle was to witness true combat under the basket and King more than held his on (he threw Phillips off his back into my lap)
King played a LOT more low post than Grant, far more - different era

Ernie G the most intelligent (ask Kevin Grevey)
King benefited greatly from Ernie G's passing but it worked both ways.  They were unselfish with the ball Ernie would give up a 10-15' jumper for a King layup/dunk.  Teams would often double up King front and back and the front guy would react to Ernie, leaving King 1v1 with a guy backing him, who knew he was beat before the ball arrived in King's hands
They both would feed each other driving the lane.

It was a great era for Tennessee BB, led by the original carnival maestro Ray Mears

The last two years with Grant and Admiral were great but my $$$ rests with Ernie & Bernie (STILL have the SI cover)

ERNIE AND BERNIE!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: