VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 12:39:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulmer..  (Read 3522 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2019, 04:38:09 EDT »

Pretty much shut down talk of returning to coach tonight, for those who thought this was somehow still a possibility.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27755421/tennessee-volunteers-ad-phillip-fulmer-rules-return-football-coach?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 04:48:21 EDT »

Pretty much shut down talk of returning to coach tonight, for those who thought this was somehow still a possibility.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27755421/tennessee-volunteers-ad-phillip-fulmer-rules-return-football-coach?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

If you listened or watched the video there was no wiggle room in what he said.
In fact, I think he agreed to come on the show to specifically state that he would not coach again.
BTW, if you watch it, look at Hubbs, found his poster most interesting

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 02:46:55 EDT »

Two things that motivate Coach Fulmer:

1.  Money

2.  Ego

There's no way he wouldn't return if he had an opportunity.  No way. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
10EC
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 03:17:19 EDT »

1.  Money

2.  Ego

I could be wrong... but, I'm starting to think you don't like Fulmer very much Herb.... 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 03:31:34 EDT »

I could be wrong... but, I'm starting to think you don't like Fulmer very much Herb....  

Neither like him nor dislike him.  

He was a very good football coach when he gave a damn about recruiting.  He just quit giving a damn and started relying on the recruiting service rankings instead of relying on his and his staff's own evals, which is what got him fired.  

As an AD - meh to this point.  We're going to see what he's made of if Poot can't turn it around.  A 2-10, 3-9 type season would go a long way in seeing if Fulmer is an AD or a former coach playing AD.  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:51:31 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 04:33:48 EDT »

Glad to see Fulmer finally come out and squash all the media attention that he would return to the sidelines. He needed to say it.
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 04:44:21 EDT »

Glad to see Fulmer finally come out and squash all the media attention that he would return to the sidelines. He needed to say it.

Yes, he did. Like Herb, I believe he would probably relish an opportunity to return to the sideline. But at least he said it and hopefully he was as sincere as he sounded.

As for the so-called vote of confidence...well, we all know how much those mean. It's going to be a very interesting next 5 weeks for Tennessee football, one way or the other.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 04:58:40 EDT »

1.  Money

2.  Ego

Yeah.. like 10EC said it seems your hatred of Fulmer has painted a certain image of him in your mind.   

I don't know much, but I don't think money and ego are Fulmer's main driving force.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 05:01:20 EDT »

Yeah.. like 10EC said it seems your hatred of Fulmer has painted a certain image of him in your mind.   

I don't know much, but I don't think money and ego are Fulmer's main driving force.

Nope.  Like I said, I don't hate him.  Never have, never will.  Don't hate anybody, except for Kliempsein fans. 

But those two are a huge part of what has kept him going.  And I am not saying that either are a bad thing. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 05:34:20 EDT »

Do not believe Fulmer any further than I could toss him. Just don't. That is on me and no one else. But I have seen to many people I believed and trusted in say one thing and do the opposite given the opportunity. I am jaded. No hate, just cannot trust what he says.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 05:46:47 EDT »

I admire Fulmer for what he has accomplished at Tennessee ... and the more time passes, the more I admire it. It's been said by some of his detractors that he wouldn't be able to accomplish in today's climate what he accomplished in the '90s, even if he were still in his prime. Maybe not. But who cares? In his era, he was simply the best recruiter in the conference and that helped us achieve a level of dominance that none of us had experienced in our lifetime nor likely will again. So that's worth something.

With that said, Fulmer made it no secret that he was bitter at the way he was unceremoniously ushered out ... and he probably had a right to be. He also made it no secret that he thought he should be AD instead of Currie. So he's obviously motivated by something. Maybe he just wants what's best for the university. Even if that were the case, I think one could make the case that his intentions are ego-driven. Maybe, though, he's still driven by the need for redemption, which would certainly be ego-driven. As Herb says, that's not necessarily a bad thing. A healthy ego is a heck of a motivator. But I don't think it's unfair for the rest of us to question whether his judgment might be clouded.
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 05:58:31 EDT »

every coach has an ego. every one from pee wee to the pros believe they are the best coach in the world. period.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 06:04:40 EDT »

I admire Fulmer for what he has accomplished at Tennessee ... and the more time passes, the more I admire it. It's been said by some of his detractors that he wouldn't be able to accomplish in today's climate what he accomplished in the '90s, even if he were still in his prime. Maybe not. But who cares? In his era, he was simply the best recruiter in the conference and that helped us achieve a level of dominance that none of us had experienced in our lifetime nor likely will again. So that's worth something.

With that said, Fulmer made it no secret that he was bitter at the way he was unceremoniously ushered out ... and he probably had a right to be. He also made it no secret that he thought he should be AD instead of Currie. So he's obviously motivated by something. Maybe he just wants what's best for the university. Even if that were the case, I think one could make the case that his intentions are ego-driven. Maybe, though, he's still driven by the need for redemption, which would certainly be ego-driven. As Herb says, that's not necessarily a bad thing. A healthy ego is a heck of a motivator. But I don't think it's unfair for the rest of us to question whether his judgment might be clouded.

Fulmer is a football coach.  Every football coach from High School to Super Bowl champions lie through their teeth, no matter how good of a person they are or aren't.  They just do.  It's the nature of their profession. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 06:05:27 EDT »

Maybe he just wants what's best for the university. Even if that were the case, I think one could make the case that his intentions are ego-driven. Maybe, though, he's still driven by the need for redemption, which would certainly be ego-driven. As Herb says, that's not necessarily a bad thing. A healthy ego is a heck of a motivator. But I don't think it's unfair for the rest of us to question whether his judgment might be clouded.

Yeah, that's very fair.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 07:22:52 EDT »

Fulmer is a football coach.  Every football coach from High School to Super Bowl champions lie through their teeth, no matter how good of a person they are or aren't.  They just do.  It's the nature of their profession.  

We use to tell the media before every season we couldn't beat William & Mary even if William had 2 hernia's and Mary was 8 months pregnant.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 08:00:26 EDT »

Neither like him nor dislike him.  

He was a very good football coach when he gave a damn about recruiting.  He just quit giving a damn and started relying on the recruiting service rankings instead of relying on his and his staff's own evals, which is what got him fired.  

As an AD - meh to this point.  We're going to see what he's made of if Poot can't turn it around.  A 2-10, 3-9 type season would go a long way in seeing if Fulmer is an AD or a former coach playing AD.  
I agree with Herb. He was a good football coach against every team not coached by Spurrier.  But looking back at the Manning years and a couple of years after,  he had a team that was loaded at all positions. He should have won more. But that's just me wanting more wins. It ain't easy to make it translate to the field. The game ain't played on paper. If it was, as Mark Schlereth said, we wouldn't have had 11 knee surgeries.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 09:17:39 EDT »

I think he definitely wants what's best for the University.

I recall that when he was fired, some kept harping, and harping, and harping, endlessly on what he got paid vs his recent performance.  Well, even though he made an (IMO) obscene amount of money for a football coach, he was only the 4th highest paid in the conference. Saban, Urban and Miles all made more.  And one could argue that his performance over the last four years probably was 4th best!

Some people are obsessed with money.  Fulmer may or may not be one of them. 

I think he genuinely loves UT and wants what's best for it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: