VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 03:22:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The FSU Taggart situation illustrates why buyouts mean nothing  (Read 3609 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2019, 02:22:57 EST »

If they want you gone, they will come up with the buyout.

Taggart wasn't getting it done at FSU so they moved quickly.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 03:00:12 EST »

Yes but Jimbo left them. No buyout. And so they were in a better position than a school like TN. In fact wouldn't A&M have paid fsu?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:06:39 EST by SmokeyJoe » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 03:16:00 EST »

Yes but Jimbo left them. No buyout. And so they were in a better position than a school like TN. In fact wouldn't A&M have paid fsu?

Taggart has a large buyout.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 03:45:24 EST »

Taggart has a large buyout.

If they want it done, it can get done. I agree.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 03:58:39 EST »

Based on what I've read the FSU big money people are paying his buyout 100%. Right at 18 million.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 05:12:20 EST »

Based on what I've read the FSU big money people are paying his buyout 100%. Right at 18 million.

Yep. IMO they will go after a big name - may already have him

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 05:43:49 EST »

Which is why I don't get the Mark Stoops talk.  Fork up that kinda buyout dough for.... Mark Stoops? 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 06:02:14 EST »

Which is why I don't get the Mark Stoops talk.  Fork up that kinda buyout dough for.... Mark Stoops? 

Not Mark - but Bob - I could see

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 06:16:01 EST »

Or everyone's favorite crazy person!  Urban at FSU.  Gators will jump off bridges en masse.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 06:21:44 EST »

Or everyone's favorite crazy person!  Urban at FSU.  Gators will jump off bridges en masse.   

Which makes me want to see it happen.  Lol.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 11:36:02 EST »

Don't see Bob Stoops going there....he like Urban Meyer will come up for every opening the next 10 years like Gruden did for some UT fans.

I was listening to a Guru on ESPN this afternoon and he said the main ones paying Taggart's buyout just said 6 months ago they were blaming JimBo for the mess FSU is in.....Said JimBo stopped recruiting....FSU had the worse....yes worse APR for grades and graduation rates in all power 5 football. And now those same folks got Taggart's ass fired...LOL

He also said FSU was a mess and he thought the President and AD would retire before long and what coach would want to come there right now with that possibility and the fact Taggart didn't make it 2 years. Also said this firmly shows that the athletic department doesn't control FSU athletics....the big boosters do. He said FSU was in a bigger mess than any Power 5 program out there.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:38:29 EST by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 12:01:31 EST »

Don't see Bob Stoops going there....he like Urban Meyer will come up for every opening the next 10 years like Gruden did for some UT fans.

I was listening to a Guru on ESPN this afternoon and he said the main ones paying Taggart's buyout just said 6 months ago they were blaming JimBo for the mess FSU is in.....Said JimBo stopped recruiting....FSU had the worse....yes worse APR for grades and graduation rates in all power 5 football. And now those same folks got Taggart's ass fired...LOL

He also said FSU was a mess and he thought the President and AD would retire before long and what coach would want to come there right now with that possibility and the fact Taggart didn't make it 2 years. Also said this firmly shows that the athletic department doesn't control FSU athletics....the big boosters do. He said FSU was in a bigger mess than any Power 5 program out there.

Hm, wow. They would have been better off sticking with Taggart until a new President and AD get established, maybe.

Speaking of which, the world's greatest AD survivor is Mal Moore.  His first act was to give Dumbose a big contract extension, then turn around and fire him.  Then he hired Franchionne, who didn't like bammer and fled west.  I guess that wasn't really Moore's fault, but still Then Mike Price.  Then Shula.  Somehow he survived all that and struck gold with Saban.  Just got lucky IMO.  But how the hell did he ever survive that decade of ineptitude to hire Saban is beyond me.  I'm surprised they didn't burn his house down, lol.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 06:26:49 EST »

Lots of Twitter chatter this morning (one being Kirk Herbstrei)t, where folks are stating they spoke to Bob Stoops and he claims he's "not a candidate".
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 06:32:40 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 10:02:29 EST »

The FSU situation just shows that the Athletic Club can raise $20M to pay the bills if asked. My understanding is FSU had to pay the rest of the contract in full upon the firing. UT needs alumni that has that much money to give away to solve its seemingly yearly money crises.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 12:42:54 EST »

Also based on what I've read FSU still owes close to 5 million on the buyout they had to pay Oregon on Taggarts buyout there.......That's added to the 18 mil  FSU owes Taggart. They really wanted Ole Willie out of there.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 02:53:00 EST »

Also based on what I've read FSU still owes close to 5 million on the buyout they had to pay Oregon on Taggarts buyout there.......That's added to the 18 mil  FSU owes Taggart. They really wanted Ole Willie out of there.

this shows the depth of the UF/UM/FSU rivalry, and the competitiveness of the Florida recruiting grounds. To wit, look at the recruiting class Phil Fulmer brought in when Travis Henry was plucked out of Winterhaven Frostproof.

With all that said, Jeremy Pruitt will be #1 in my book when he can raid the top Florida kids.

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: