VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 09:59:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adams on "Improvement of Tennessee Defense"  (Read 902 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2017, 10:44:06 EST »

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/columnists/university-of-tennessee/john-adams/2017/11/06/tennessee-football-defense-improved-enough-slow-down-missouri-tigers-vols-bob-shoop-butch-jones/827314001/

He makes several points.  The main one of interest to me today is that our run D is terrible (but that Mizzou doesn't run well).   He does point out how bad Shoops D has been but...and this is where I quibble with him a bit....he insists on including every game Shoop has coached against P5 schools, which is a total of 16 games.  One can debate how valid that is with all the injuries last year, but my issue is that I am more interested in this season.

He claims that P5 teams have had success running the ball this year, and they have.  Ga Tech was embarrassing for sure.  But I think a more telling stat is, have we held anyone under their season average, or has every team exceeded that? Here are the stats for this season alone (P5 teams only):

Team    Average/Rank     Our Game

ga tech           311/4                           535
florida            188/39                          168
uga                183/41                          294
usc junior       138/89                          194
bammer         228/16                          272
kentucky        138/87                          289

Yeah...that's pretty bad. Other than Florida, we haven't held P5 team under their season average yet.   

Missouri's run game is pretty weak, but I don't know if that's going to help us or not.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: