VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 08:54:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost in all the brouhaha over the 4th-and-inches play...  (Read 2207 times)
Creek Walker
« on: November 24, 2013, 07:25:12 EST »

...Vandy's right tackle flinched and should've been flagged for a false start on the play. I'm not sure why he wasn't, but it was one of several botched calls by the officials in the 4th quarter, I thought. There's no point in naming them off because it's water under the bridge at this point, but that's one that sticks in my craw.
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:14:13 EST »

Frankly, I don't think there's any way that Tennessee stopped Vanderbilt short on that fourth down play. Matter of fact, when I seen the QB surge, I looked down at my phone. When I looked back up to see them stop play for the measurement, I was shocked.

However, one of the best arguments I've heard tonight from our fellow sour grapes Tennessee fans is this: If a play at the goal line were being reviewed, and the only thing the official could see in the video was the ballcarrier's head and shoulders, and the ball was not visible in any one of the camera angles, would it be ruled conclusively a touchdown if the ball couldn't be seen breaking the plane of the goal line? Obviously not. So, therefore, shouldn't the same concept to a 4th down play elsewhere on the field? I think he clearly got the first down, so I suppose the end justifies the means — similar to two years ago when we beat them on Gordon's pick-6 with the whistle clearly blowing but his knee not touching the ground. But I also don't see how there's irrefutable video evidence to overturn that call.

But, hey, what do I know? I didn't think there was irrefutable video evidence to overturn Pig Howard's catch. (In fact, I thought there was irrefutable evidence that he had possession before his left foot came off the ground.)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 02:34:51 EST »

I think he made the 1st down, but he didn't get the spot and the replay angles didn't show conclusive evidence to overturn, same thing on Pig's overturn reception. Problem was we got two fumbles calls overturned that gave us the ball earlier, replay guy was probably felt under pressure to "even" out the calls.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 02:30:04 EST »

Problem was we got two fumbles calls overturned that gave us the ball earlier, replay guy was probably felt under pressure to "even" out the calls.

Yeah I thought about that also....they also seemed to get a really good spot on third down that helped them on fourth. 

Protect the big play by Matthews shortly thereafter, and it's a moot point though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 04:14:33 EST »

Protect the big play by Matthews shortly thereafter, and it's a moot point though.

This is key. If the coaches/players do their job and not let Vandy drive the field we're not playing the "what could have been" game with the refs.  I could list several examples from last night where we dropped the ball (figuratively) and  that, not refs, cost us the game.  Josh Smith dropped TD pass, long kickoff return given up, bad throws by Dobbs, Oline struggles, etc...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: