VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 04:29:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two things  (Read 2208 times)
Creek Walker
« on: October 02, 2016, 05:19:27 EDT »

Apparently I don't know football rules as well as I thought I did.

1.) Why was the Dobbs touchdown just before the half so controversial? The referee announced that the play "stands" after replay, as opposed to "confirmed," which meant that there wasn't definitive evidence that Dobbs scored, but they couldn't overturn it. UGA fans insist that Dobbs didn't score. I've always been taught that the goal line extends to infinity. Dobbs may have been five yards out of bounds but he never TOUCHED out of bounds until he was obviously past the pylon. Even the poor video angle makes that very evident.

2.) How was the helmet-to-helmet hit on Dobbs on the play before the interception in the 4th quarter not targeting? No, Dobbs wasn't defenseless. And, no, the defender didn't launch. But targeting doesn't necessarily require either of those things to happen. If the defender lowers his head and leads with the crown of his helmet, and makes helmet-to-helmet contact, that's targeting, according to the rule as I read it. Don't get me wrong, I generally hate targeting penalties, but the sauce that's good for the goose is good for the gander. Players have been penalized for far less serious hits than that. It was a hard hit, and I believe it played a role in Dobbs seriously under throwing an open receiver on the next play for an INT.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 05:23:34 EDT »

1.) Why was the Dobbs touchdown just before the half so controversial? The referee announced that the play "stands" after replay, as opposed to "confirmed," which meant that there wasn't definitive evidence that Dobbs scored, but they couldn't overturn it. UGA fans insist that Dobbs didn't score. I've always been taught that the goal line extends to infinity. Dobbs may have been five yards out of bounds but he never TOUCHED out of bounds until he was obviously past the pylon. Even the poor video angle makes that very evident.

2.) How was the helmet-to-helmet hit on Dobbs on the play before the interception in the 4th quarter not targeting? No, Dobbs wasn't defenseless. And, no, the defender didn't launch. But targeting doesn't necessarily require either of those things to happen. If the defender lowers his head and leads with the crown of his helmet, and makes helmet-to-helmet contact, that's targeting, according to the rule as I read it. Don't get me wrong, I generally hate targeting penalties, but the sauce that's good for the goose is good for the gander. Players have been penalized for far less serious hits than that. It was a hard hit, and I believe it played a role in Dobbs seriously under throwing an open receiver on the next play for an INT.

We were wondering the same thing on the targeting play.  And as soon as Dobbs threw that next pick, my friend said "he's probably concussed".  I hope Butch sends the tape of that play to Birmingham.  Not that it will do any good.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 05:27:45 EDT »

Re 1:  Absolutely the correct call.  The puppies fans were ignorant.
I didn't see the targeting

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 05:30:30 EDT »

Re 1:  Absolutely the correct call.  The puppies fans were ignorant.
I didn't see the targeting

You'll see it on TV.  It's very obvious.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 05:33:02 EDT »

1.   I have always seen it described as the BALL has to be inside the line (or on the correct side of the pylon).  If you have the video of Dobbs wonderful tip toe against NW, check the commentary there.  It's the ball, not the person, and  it doesn't extend to infinity.

2. We can only assume the refs didn't see it.  I have noticed other non-calls.  If they are going to have this rule, then they need to pay attention and enforce it better.  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:38:49 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 05:36:59 EDT »

Even if the officials didn't notice the targeting in live action, targeting is one of the rare penalties that can be reviewed -- even if it isn't called on the field. There's no way the replay booth missed that.

Of course, there's also no way the replay booth missed our WR fielding a pass like a shortstop fielding a ground ball...but they did. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 05:38:09 EDT »

Even if the officials didn't notice the targeting in live action, targeting is one of the rare penalties that can be reviewed -- even if it isn't called on the field. There's no way the replay booth missed that.

Of course, there's also no way the replay booth missed our WR fielding a pass like a shortstop fielding a ground ball...but they did. 

Yeah we stole one there.  Good on us, we have been on the other end of that too many times to count.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 05:40:27 EDT »

Also they missed a clothesline tackle on AK, didn't think you could do that either.

I thought the goal line extended to infinity also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: