VTTW Board Index
May 04, 2024, 06:10:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Game of Thrones won the Best Drama Emmy?  (Read 1278 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2019, 03:01:25 EDT »

BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA(inhale)BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 01:19:05 EDT »

And you are amused because....?

I can guess what you will say, but it isn't that amusing to me because I for the most part think Emmy's and Oscars are insider-Hollywood BS and don't give a crap about them.  But that's just me.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:38:44 EDT »

And you are amused because....?

I can guess what you will say, but it isn't that amusing to me because I for the most part think Emmy's and Oscars are insider-Hollywood BS and don't give a crap about them.  But that's just me.

So if you know what I'm going to say, and you don't give a crap about the Emmys, then why did you even respond?

But since you asked: GOT was really, really bad this year, and this is obviously a "career achievement award".

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 02:50:01 EDT »

So if you know what I'm going to say, and you don't give a crap about the Emmys, then why did you even respond?

But since you asked: GOT was really, really bad this year, and this is obviously a "career achievement award".

I thought that's what you would say.  And yeah, don't care about the Emmy's do care about your opinion on GOT, and I figured that was it.  I didn't think it was that bad overall.  It was a bit compressed to say the least, with just  6 episodes, and the final episode spent way too much time wrapping up loose ends.   I am sure there are other criticisms, but the last season did have it's moments.  I think making the decision for this to be the last season just didn't allow them time to do it justice.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 03:05:25 EDT »

I thought that's what you would say.  And yeah, don't care about the Emmy's do care about your opinion on GOT, and I figured that was it.  I didn't think it was that bad overall.  It was a bit compressed to say the least, with just  6 episodes, and the final episode spent way too much time wrapping up loose ends.   I am sure there are other criticisms, but the last season did have it's moments.  I think making the decision for this to be the last season just didn't allow them time to do it justice.

I can see why the voters might've justified it. It was just a bad year for TV overall. Several of the best shows (Westworld, Mr. Robot, Homeland) took the year off, and several of those that were left had sub-par seasons (GOT, Better Call Saul, House of Cards). In fact, I would say the most compelling thing I watched on TV all year was the Kavanaugh hearings. So in the absence of any truly great competition, why not just give it to GOT?

Still, there were better dramas than GOT in the past year. Among the nominees, Ozark was better. I haven't seen Succession, but I've heard great things. There were also better shows that weren't nominated: Stranger Things, Billions, Haunting of Hill House.

I think this "golden age" of dramatic TV we've been in is slowly starting to wind down. Many of the best shows from earlier in the decade have ended or will end soon (or in a few cases, have dramatically declined in quality- looking at you, Walking Dead) and there are few obvious candidates to pick up the torch.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 03:15:40 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 03:26:18 EDT »

I don't like Westworld that well, the plot is just too obvious for me.  Watched a few episodes of Stranger Things, liked it, but can't get past the monster in the wall thing being too abstract and unrealistic.  Not grounded in reality enough for me.  Still might watch a few more, if I ever get a Netflix subscription, lol.  Never have taken the plunge. 

Speaking of TV, the season was great but I found the last episode of Snowfall very disappointing.  Not sure why they went with the alt reality dream sequence, seems like an unnecessary distraction, and what time they spent on the actual plot I didn't quite like the resolution and new agreement between Franklin and the CIA guy.   Seems to be running out of steam, they have already pretty much beat the main plot line to death.  But maybe it will be good again next season.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: