VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 01:53:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I guess a reminder is called for  (Read 5102 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2013, 02:07:17 EST »

that this team was 5-7 against a weaker schedule last year and lost all of its impact players on offense, three of which are scoring TDs in the NFL right now. This staff inherited one of the worst Ds in college football and an offense with no playmakers.

Nothing has changed. We knew we were going to be fighting an uphill battle back in August and we're fighting that battle right now. I can do nothing but shake my head at the doom and gloom and finger pointing that followed Saturday's loss (not all on here, but all over the Vol WWW). We have a long way to go. Let's not shizzle our pants because we lost to yet another top 10 team on the road by a few TDs. This is where we are but there's a lot to look forward to.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:14:44 EST »

Saturday's loss was disappointing, almost to the point of being embarrassing, but the inability of fans to step back and look at the bigger picture never ceases to amaze me. Some of the same people who were praising Butch Jones after the S.C. win are now saying he'll never make it as a coach in the SEC. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:18:26 EST »

Some of the other Vol boards have been absolutely unreadable this weekend.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:19:40 EST »

One fan troll actually said that Butch has lost his team. LOlwut? 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:23:33 EST »

Quote from: Creek Walker =topic=29256.msg142865#msg142865 date=1383571180
One fan troll actually said that Butch has lost his team. LOlwut? 

I saw a post during the game: "This wouldn't be happening if we took the band!!"

SURELY it was a joke.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:31:19 EST »

that this team was 5-7 against a weaker schedule last year and lost all of its impact players on offense, three of which are scoring TDs in the NFL right now. This staff inherited one of the worst Ds in college football and an offense with no playmakers.

Nothing has changed. We knew we were going to be fighting an uphill battle back in August and we're fighting that battle right now. I can do nothing but shake my head at the doom and gloom and finger pointing that followed Saturday's loss (not all on here, but all over the Vol WWW). We have a long way to go. Let's not shizzle our pants because we lost to yet another top 10 team on the road by a few TDs. This is where we are but there's a lot to look forward to.

Agree 100% -- bottom line, we played over our heads against UGA and SC...and it gave some delusional fans the idea that we were actually a GOOD team.  Unfortunately, we are not a good team and will not be a good team this year....we are not back and will not be back for a couple of more years.   Butch is the guy for us, I believe -- I think he has done more with this team than any realistic fan believed could be done , especially against this schedule.   Also, some unrealistic fans believe Dobbs would come in and perform miracles..NOT!   

We will lose to Auburn, and could lose to Vandy (OMG NO!!!) -- but I expect to beat Vandy and Ky to become bowl eligible -- which I believe was Butch's goal this year -- to simply become eligible to go bowling once again.    GO BIG ORANGE!! We are on our way back -- but not there yet!

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:11:40 EST »

Don't know that anyone here shizzled their pants.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 03:25:33 EST »

Don't know that anyone here shizzled their pants.

Somebody decided our OC wasn't going to make it. Not to name names.   

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 03:50:41 EST »

There are too many people that want to give the coaches a pass and put it all on the players because they are not SEC caliber. While that is true, nothing ever has one cause. Multiple factors are in play for everything. Knowing that, it's not unfair to question some things the coaches have done, particularly on offense where there have been more struggles. Some of that is on the players, and some of it is on the coaches. Maybe the offensive system and coaches get the job done with better players, but they won't if they don't correct the errors that have been made all year. I don't there is anything unfair about that stance.
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 03:56:06 EST »

There are too many people that want to give the coaches a pass and put it all on the players because they are not SEC caliber. While that is true, nothing ever has one cause. Multiple factors are in play for everything. Knowing that, it's not unfair to question some things the coaches have done, particularly on offense where there have been more struggles. Some of that is on the players, and some of it is on the coaches. Maybe the offensive system and coaches get the job done with better players, but they won't if they don't correct the errors that have been made all year. I don't there is anything unfair about that stance.

I don't think anyone would look at you with a straight face and say the coaches haven't made mistakes. Maybe the biggest one, in hindsight, was giving in to us fans and starting Peterman at Florida, which may very well have cost us a win in The Swamp. There have been others, for sure. Butch Jones even said in his postgame presser Saturday night that he should be blamed for all the penalties the team had against Missouri. Most of the coaches on this staff are making their debut in SEC football and it would be unreasonable to expect them to perform perfectly. They're growing as a staff and learning to coach at this level just as the team is growing and learning.

The problem are those who go off the deep end every time UT loses a game and make unreasonable statements about the staff. Most of us agreed coming into the season that 6-6 would be an accomplishment, and 7 wins would be the ceiling. Most of the time when you're down to your 3rd string QB due to injuries, and two teams that were expected to be unranked coming into the season are in the Top 10 nationally by the time you play them, reasonable folks would agree that the ceiling is unattainable. But 6-6 is still within reach, so I'm not sure what has changed since the beginning of the season...except that UT lost badly to a Top 10 Missouri team.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 04:07:03 EST »

doing good to go 6-6 and that 7-5 would be great. I got blasted for pointing out that our OL was over rated and received high acclaim based on years of playing time, but they are soft not bulldozers like Bama. Butch, I think, is a real football coach and he is a worker with a plan...give him 2-3 years and I'm confident we will be back in the hunt year in and year out. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 04:53:13 EST »

I don't think anyone would look at you with a straight face and say the coaches haven't made mistakes. Maybe the biggest one, in hindsight, was giving in to us fans and starting Peterman at Florida, which may very well have cost us a win in The Swamp. There have been others, for sure. Butch Jones even said in his postgame presser Saturday night that he should be blamed for all the penalties the team had against Missouri. Most of the coaches on this staff are making their debut in SEC football and it would be unreasonable to expect them to perform perfectly. They're growing as a staff and learning to coach at this level just as the team is growing and learning.

The problem are those who go off the deep end every time UT loses a game and make unreasonable statements about the staff. Most of us agreed coming into the season that 6-6 would be an accomplishment, and 7 wins would be the ceiling. Most of the time when you're down to your 3rd string QB due to injuries, and two teams that were expected to be unranked coming into the season are in the Top 10 nationally by the time you play them, reasonable folks would agree that the ceiling is unattainable. But 6-6 is still within reach, so I'm not sure what has changed since the beginning of the season...except that UT lost badly to a Top 10 Missouri team.
my biggest issue was how we were dominated on the lines
Our OL played very, very poorly with multiple false starts (off a silent count no less so cadence from the QB was not an issue) and though they were playing a very good DL were flat outplayed and dominated at times.
On defense, our front 6 (we played nickel all night) was flat useless all night. 
BTW, the secondary had a few breakdowns but really didn't play as bad as it might have appeared.

I guess the flat out poor play by the lines is what disappointed me

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:07:44 EST »

my biggest issue was how we were dominated on the lines
Our OL played very, very poorly with multiple false starts (off a silent count no less so cadence from the QB was not an issue) and though they were playing a very good DL were flat outplayed and dominated at times.
On defense, our front 6 (we played nickel all night) was flat useless all night. 
BTW, the secondary had a few breakdowns but really didn't play as bad as it might have appeared.

I guess the flat out poor play by the lines is what disappointed me

Absolutely. Our strength on D all year has been interior defense, while our weakness has been on the corners. But Missouri gashed us right up the middle all night, carving through the defensive front like hot butter. That was really, really disappointing and it was a huge step back. Not sure what was going on, but the team just didn't execute well and didn't put forth a great effort.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 05:24:01 EST »

Not surprised. Maybe you should give yourself a reminder (see bottom quote box). You do realize that offering an opinion, however it is received is not crapping ones pants.  Do you think "our" te (who you talked about) should try to block Clowney or the Mizzou DE straight up? While I do not know the game like many, I know that our TE can't do that.  That was the justification I used to form my opinion. The very same has been stated here by you.

Maybe the qb was supposed to change that protection IDK? Not the 1st time I have seen it this year though. I expected growing pains for the staff as the SEC is a different animal with the coaches we have and talent levels. I feel good about a lot that Butch has accomplished this year. he will bring in the talent it appears, so I expect us to compete for the East in 3 more years. He may surprise and do it in his 3rd year but it make take getting completely rid of Dooley's classes to get the talent levels up enough and get guys experienced and physically able (linemen) to do that.  

FYI. While I thought this was our best chance to date at a road win I also saw the potential for what happened too just like everyone else. So I did not crap my pants, I was frustrated about getting ran again and I saw a play that just irked me because I have seen it fail before. Is it design? Is it lack of ability? Either way it is on the staff. The only way it isn't is if they missed a protection change.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Missouri will be hard for us to beat.
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:34:32 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
They are fast on the edges and at rb. Plays right into our biggest weakness. They could have a hangover after losing tonight though and I think we can score on them. Gamecocks moved the ball, just turned it over. We should be able to have a shot at them if we don't lose it giving up big plays like today.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

vttw.clockwork@gmail.com imdvolrus
View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

I can't wait to get Wolf and Helm in here at TE
« on: October 26, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Downs is not playing well today at all. Neal had a pretty big gain there on the cutback if Downs just holds his block.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 05:27:15 EST »

Most had the same thoughts record wise. I had hopes for the o-line after 2012 but they have regressed, or don't fit the scheme, or have had too many position coaches or whatever. I think it will take 3 more to have a real shot at the East but maybe 2 more will do it.

doing good to go 6-6 and that 7-5 would be great. I got blasted for pointing out that our OL was over rated and received high acclaim based on years of playing time, but they are soft not bulldozers like Bama. Butch, I think, is a real football coach and he is a worker with a plan...give him 2-3 years and I'm confident we will be back in the hunt year in and year out. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 05:29:41 EST »

I've said all along myself that this is a young and inexperienced team, with the exception of the OL, who have definitely not lived up to their billing thus far.  I felt like it would play like a young team, which means beating somebody they weren't supposed to (which we did in South Carolina) and likely lose to somebody we shouldn't.  Was Mizzou that "shouldn't"?  I don't think so.  Things have pretty much turned out like they should have up to this point.  If we can just hold serve and not lose to a Vandy or KY things will turn out like most of the rational and reasonable fans felt they would coming in to the season.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 06:07:18 EST »

Not surprised. Maybe you should give yourself a reminder (see bottom quote box). You do realize that offering an opinion, however it is received is not crapping ones pants.  Do you think "our" te (who you talked about) should try to block Clowney or the Mizzou DE straight up? While I do not know the game like many, I know that our TE can't do that.  That was the justification I used to form my opinion. The very same has been stated here by you.

Maybe the qb was supposed to change that protection IDK? Not the 1st time I have seen it this year though. I expected growing pains for the staff as the SEC is a different animal with the coaches we have and talent levels. I feel good about a lot that Butch has accomplished this year. he will bring in the talent it appears, so I expect us to compete for the East in 3 more years. He may surprise and do it in his 3rd year but it make take getting completely rid of Dooley's classes to get the talent levels up enough and get guys experienced and physically able (linemen) to do that.  

FYI. While I thought this was our best chance to date at a road win I also saw the potential for what happened too just like everyone else. So I did not crap my pants, I was frustrated about getting ran again and I saw a play that just irked me because I have seen it fail before. Is it design? Is it lack of ability? Either way it is on the staff. The only way it isn't is if they missed a protection change.

OK.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: