VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 11:12:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golden is gone*  (Read 12232 times)
Creek Walker
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:50:58 EDT »

nt
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:55:49 EDT »

umm.  wow
Methinks Cuonzo just fired himself.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:57:59 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:08:44 EDT »

I'm really curious about the details. Some rumors are indicating it wasn't fully Trae's choice. If that's the case, Cuonzo better have something major up his sleeve as a replacement. He also better kiss his "good guy" status goodbye, as this combined with Yemi and Travon Landry paints a picture of a guy who is not committed to his players in the least.

SMH.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:36:14 EDT »

I'm really curious about the details. Some rumors are indicating it wasn't fully Trae's choice. If that's the case, Cuonzo better have something major up his sleeve as a replacement. He also better kiss his "good guy" status goodbye, as this combined with Yemi and Travon Landry paints a picture of a guy who is not committed to his players in the least.

SMH.

Yes. I'm reserving judgment until we know the full story but on the surface I don't like it a bit.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:49 EDT »

Sounds like academics related, but CCM told him to hit the road. I bet someone transfers in
GeneVols
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 08:12:55 EDT »

Look for Antonio Barton!!!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17:40 EDT »

Weird. Let's hope somebody transfers in!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:22:09 EDT »

Look for Antonio Barton!!!

That is the rumor.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:37:26 EDT »

Would Memphis permit that? Did they just cut him loose free & clear?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 08:47:34 EDT »

He graduated. he can transfer anywhere as long as he takes a course or study not offered by Memphis, and play for 1 year

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 08:53:27 EDT »

That is the rumor.

Who's he?
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 08:58:02 EDT »

If its not academically related then it has to be on the HC and if so something is wrong. You don't just cut loose a player like Golden has been, once he came back from the injury he was on fire for the most part. Personally, if Matin just don't get it done then I'd love to see, even though I don't think it'll ever happen, Bruce Pearl back.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 09:08:35 EDT »

Who's he?

PG at Memphis, transferring somewhere. he can play immediately because he has graduated

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 02:48:03 EDT »

So, "repeated plagiarism" seems to be the story. I'll have to pull back some of the criticism I lobbed at Cuonzo as it was probably out of his hands if the story is true.

But that explanation raises more questions than it answers . . . questions to which the answers could be very bad for UT. I hope I'm wrong on that.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 03:45:24 EDT »

Repeated could just be twice.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 04:45:50 EDT »

Repeated could just be twice.

And if it is, we have nothing further to worry about. I believe in allowing them the opportunity to learn from their stupidity. I dealt with cheating three times as a teacher, and never once recommended expulsion on the first transgression. I gave them a choice: take a 0 for the assignment, admit to your actions and show your contrition in writing, and I will recommend that it be added to your file only for reference in the future; or, choose to continue lying and face student judicial affairs and likely expulsion. All three chose the former. I'd like to think I scared the shizzle out of them enough that the second offense never happened.

But if "repeated" was more than two and central administration had to step in and force Golden out, then we may have a bigger problem. Golden's academic integrity is rightly being questioned but we need to hope that UT's does not need to be questioned as well.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 10:09:31 EDT »

And if it is, we have nothing further to worry about. I believe in allowing them the opportunity to learn from their stupidity. I dealt with cheating three times as a teacher, and never once recommended expulsion on the first transgression. I gave them a choice: take a 0 for the assignment, admit to your actions and show your contrition in writing, and I will recommend that it be added to your file only for reference in the future; or, choose to continue lying and face student judicial affairs and likely expulsion. All three chose the former. I'd like to think I scared the shizzle out of them enough that the second offense never happened.

But if "repeated" was more than two and central administration had to step in and force Golden out, then we may have a bigger problem. Golden's academic integrity is rightly being questioned but we need to hope that UT's does not need to be questioned as well.

Aw hell! Surely not. That would be very bad. Not even going to think it!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 11:50:20 EDT »

Contacted Wednesday afternoon, Robert Golden, Trae’s father, initially declined comment. He then, however, called Tuesday’s reports “totally inaccurate.”

“No, no, no,” he said regarding Golden’s alleged academic issues. “It’s not that. My son, he’s fine in that area. He’s just going to pursue some other opportunities.”

http://m.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/may/08/father-of-trae-golden-says-reports-of-academic/

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 02:28:10 EDT »

Contacted Wednesday afternoon, Robert Golden, Trae’s father, initially declined comment. He then, however, called Tuesday’s reports “totally inaccurate.”

“No, no, no,” he said regarding Golden’s alleged academic issues. “It’s not that. My son, he’s fine in that area. He’s just going to pursue some other opportunities.”

http://m.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/may/08/father-of-trae-golden-says-reports-of-academic/

It sounds to me like Golden's dad doesn't want it to get out that his son did some cheating. I don't think the issue was grades, which is what most assume when they hear it's academic related.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 02:44:44 EDT »

It sounds to me like Golden's dad doesn't want it to get out that his son did some cheating. I don't think the issue was grades, which is what most assume when they hear it's academic related.

Well it shouldn't have come out. If that is the whole truth . . . that he was dismissed for a second offense of academic dishonesty . . . okay, but it is not the public or media's right to know that. And it seems to me, based on the timing, that it was leaked by someone in the AD in response to the pressure that Martin was receiving when the rumor was that he asked Golden to go elsewhere. If they leaked Golden's transgressions just to take the heat off of Cuonzo, then well . . . that sucks. Cuonzo is paid to take the heat. He's an adult and a head coach. Golden, despite his actions, did not need to be publicly shamed.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 03:11:57 EDT »

Just how the world works

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 04:30:41 EDT »

Just how the world works

Well it depends on the purpose of the leak. If someone in the AD shared info with the media in the usual way, okay . . . yes, it's unfortunate, but crap always leaks out. But if they did it deliberately to take the heat off the basketball coach then I have a serious problem with that.

Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 07:35:41 EDT »

Well it shouldn't have come out. If that is the whole truth . . . that he was dismissed for a second offense of academic dishonesty . . . okay, but it is not the public or media's right to know that. And it seems to me, based on the timing, that it was leaked by someone in the AD in response to the pressure that Martin was receiving when the rumor was that he asked Golden to go elsewhere. If they leaked Golden's transgressions just to take the heat off of Cuonzo, then well . . . that sucks. Cuonzo is paid to take the heat. He's an adult and a head coach. Golden, despite his actions, did not need to be publicly shamed.
If he cheated, then why should he be protected from being shamed publicly?  He should be publicly shamed.... instead of letting him quietly go away while letting your coach twist in the wind.  He cheated, he should be man enough to accept the consequences and I dont think it should be kept quiet....no reason to protect bad character. JMHO

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 08:08:45 EDT »

If he cheated, then why should he be protected from being shamed publicly?  He should be publicly shamed.... instead of letting him quietly go away while letting your coach twist in the wind.  He cheated, he should be man enough to accept the consequences and I dont think it should be kept quiet....no reason to protect bad character. JMHO

Would you like all of your dirty laundry aired publicly by the media, especially by people you thought you could trust? How is that fair? The kid made a mistake but he is not a criminal. Academic history is, in fact, protected by FERPA, so there are legal reasons this should not have been made public in addition to ethical ones.

Creek Walker
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 08:17:12 EDT »

It is probably a safe assumption that it was leaked intentionally. And let's not kid ourselves -- it happens everywhere. Is it fair to Golden? No. But is it fair for Martin to take heat for something he didn't do? No. If the story of Golden cheating doesn't emerge, then everyone assumes that Martin let Golden go of his own free will, which we can pretty much all agree would have been a very dumb move on his part. The only way to stop those rumors from festering is to let the truth be known. It is what it is. Nobody wins but, as Volznut said, it's just the way the world works.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: