VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 05:51:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gruden was just live on Mike & Mike in the morning  (Read 4430 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:36:51 EST »

It was his weekly spot with them.  I nearly spit out my coffee and ran off the road when I realized the very first question Mike Greenberg was going to ask was about him and UT.  Now, Greeny specifically asked about the rumor about Mr. Haslam offering part ownership with the Browns.  Gruden's response was "no, that's not true."  I know some are going to take this as he's saying none of the Gruden to TN rumors are true, but there's sort of some room there for what he was denying exactly.  I personally took it as him refuting the Browns ownership story.  Or maybe it hasn't been formally offered to him so he can still deny it?  It was likely a staged question.  Anyway, this is sure to light off a firestorm today.

I will also note that as soon as that question was over Gruden shut it down as far as any more questions regarding his coaching prospects.  He basically said "I don't want to get into all that". 

What's everyone's thoughts?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:46:09 EST »

It was his weekly spot with them.  I nearly spit out my coffee and ran off the road when I realized the very first question Mike Greenberg was going to ask was about him and UT.  Now, Greeny specifically asked about the rumor about Mr. Haslam offering part ownership with the Browns.  Gruden's response was "no, that's not true."  I know some are going to take this as he's saying none of the Gruden to TN rumors are true, but there's sort of some room there for what he was denying exactly.  I personally took it as him refuting the Browns ownership story.  Or maybe it hasn't been formally offered to him so he can still deny it?  It was likely a staged question.  Anyway, this is sure to light off a firestorm today.

I will also note that as soon as that question was over Gruden shut it down as far as any more questions regarding his coaching prospects.  He basically said "I don't want to get into all that". 

What's everyone's thoughts?

I think it's just as you said. He answered a direct question with a direct answer, so I think nothing else concrete can be extracted. That won't stop everyone and his brother from trying though.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:53:01 EST »

Here's the link and the exact words:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8685508

Greeny: We'll start with this, because it..it's happened again. Now there's a report, and look, if you're going to be connected to jobs, it might as well involve the Governor of Tennessee.

Golic: Sure, why not?!

Greeny: News Channel 3 has learned that you, Jon Gruden, have a contract offer in hand from the University of Tennessee, and that a decision could be made as early as today. Part of this apparently is that you would get a piece of the Cleveland Browns, who were recently bought by Jim Haslam, who is a huge Tennessee booster, because he played at Tennessee, and he is the father of Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam. So, first and foremost, Jon, is this..is there any truth to this whatsoever?

Gruden: Uh no there isn't. I should probably tell my wife that because it does involve her and my kids. But no, there's no truth to that, I'm just excited about Monday Night Football and getting ready for the Giants and the Redskins.

Greeny: Okay, that's good, because if you were going to go, we would like to talk about maybe some sort of Cabinet position.

Golic: Exactly right! That's some kind of pull!

Greeny: Yeah Seriously!

Gruden: Yeah.. I mean uh, I don't ::sigh::.. I just.. I apologize, I.. I really don't have time to get into all that stuff. I like what I'm doing. I'm just trying to hang on to the job I have to be honest with you. ::chuckle:: So, let's leave it at that, and get into the real nuts and bolts of the Mike and Mike show.

(M&M both laugh)

Greeny: Okay, well, if you'd listened to the last hour.. Frankly you..this is probably better that anything we've done

Golic: The wheels have already come off
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:21:06 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 01:56:36 EST »

For anyone who wants to hear the full question, here's the audio:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8685508

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 01:57:25 EST »

Sounds like he's got some things going and doesn't really want to talk about it until it's official

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:00:08 EST »

Sounds like he's got some things going and doesn't really want to talk about it until it's official

The way he quickly shut it down and changed the subject lines up with the whole Hart secrecy tgeory.

Also, he's getting checks from TB til Dec. right? 
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 02:05:16 EST »

Mike & Mike HAD to ask the question, probably told Gruden they would.  He could have very easily said he wanted to take his name out of any consideration but did not.  Does not change my thought of him being the next UT coach one bit.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:58 EST »

He is definitely refuting the Browns owner theory, and probably that he "has a contract in hand" as well.  I don't think he's ruling out taking the job at all.   But we will know in less than a month, or so I hope.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 02:30:15 EST »

Greeny: News Channel 3 has learned that you, Jon Gruden, have a contract offer in hand from the University of Tennessee, and that a decision could be made as early as today. Part of this apparently is that you would get a piece of the Cleveland Browns, who were recently bought by Jim Haslam, who is a huge Tennessee booster, because he played at Tennessee, and he is the father of Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam. So, first and foremost, Jon, is this..is there any truth to this whatsoever?

Not that this is important, but I do not think it is correct that the Cleveland Browns were bought by "Jim Haslam, who is a huge Tennessee booster, because he played at Tennessee, and he is the father of Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam."  Rather, I believe the Browns were bought by Jim Haslam's son, Jimmy Haslam (whose brother is Bill Haslam, the Governor of Tennessee).  Just sayin'.    As to the rest, I would not have expected him to respond in any other way.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 02:33:09 EST »

The way he quickly shut it down and changed the subject lines up with the whole Hart secrecy tgeory.

Also, he's getting checks from TB til Dec. right? 

I think he gets his last check this week.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 02:34:08 EST »

Mike & Mike HAD to ask the question, probably told Gruden they would.  He could have very easily said he wanted to take his name out of any consideration but did not.  Does not change my thought of him being the next UT coach one bit.

Keep in mind he DID take his name out of consideration for Arkansas. he has not done anything similar on UT.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 02:34:42 EST »

He is definitely refuting the Browns owner theory, and probably that he "has a contract in hand" as well.  I don't think he's ruling out taking the job at all.   But we will know in less than a month, or so I hope.   

Possibly this week

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 02:35:20 EST »

Not that this is important, but I do not think it is correct that the Cleveland Browns were bought by "Jim Haslam, who is a huge Tennessee booster, because he played at Tennessee, and he is the father of Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam."  Rather, I believe the Browns were bought by Jim Haslam's son, Jimmy Haslam (whose brother is Bill Haslam, the Governor of Tennessee).  Just sayin'.    As to the rest, I would not have expected him to respond in any other way.

Accuracy is always important.  Good catch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: