VTTW Board Index
May 02, 2024, 10:45:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just have this awful feeling that this thing isn't going to go well....  (Read 2367 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:16:00 EST »

There's this bad vibe in my brain that says we're going to get screwed by having to settle for some second-tier coach.

For those that say that the UT job is a great job and we should be able to get the big-name coaches, I'm not sure this is true. Sure, when things are good it's a fantastic job. Great fans, facilities, money. But when you're trying to climb out of the pit, it's a tough job and those "first-tier" coaches might not want to take it on. It's too much work. They don't want to risk their reputation and future jobs/earnings taking on a rebuilding task that requires recruiting on such a wide national basis.

That's why I think the job is more appealing to assistants and "second-tier" coaches willing to take on such a task.

And that's why I think we get screwed.

Sorry, but that's the feeling I'm getting. And it's not gas.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:22:57 EST »

Don't you have a round of golf to play? 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:31:08 EST by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:26:09 EST »

If that ends up being the case and we end up with Al Golden or worse, I'm going to have to find some new hobbies. It's not like I won't watch UT football but I won't be thinking about it all offseason and I sure as hell won't have the motivation to browse the message boards every day or even every week. I'm really hoping that is not what happens.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:34:55 EST »

There's this bad vibe in my brain that says we're going to get screwed by having to settle for some second-tier coach.

For those that say that the UT job is a great job and we should be able to get the big-name coaches, I'm not sure this is true. Sure, when things are good it's a fantastic job. Great fans, facilities, money. But when you're trying to climb out of the pit, it's a tough job and those "first-tier" coaches might not want to take it on. It's too much work. They don't want to risk their reputation and future jobs/earnings taking on a rebuilding task that requires recruiting on such a wide national basis.

That's why I think the job is more appealing to assistants and "second-tier" coaches willing to take on such a task.

And that's why I think we get screwed.

Sorry, but that's the feeling I'm getting. And it's not gas.

I had that same feeling early this morning.  But, I don't necessarily think it leads to being screwed.  Dickey and Fulmer were both highly thought of assistants who did well as head coaches.  And whether they are well-thought by people here, as Mike Strange recently pointed out, so were Stoops, Peterson, Mullen, Franklin, Richt, Muschamp, et al.  I have never been a proponent of the "must have head coaching experience" philosophy.  It's all a crap shoot, and while an experienced head coach may strengthen the odds, I do not think it is that wide of a gap.  As I said at the time, I think the "must have head coaching epxerience" issue is the one area where I disagreed with Hart.  I also think, and have always thought, that Tennessee is a unique program that requires a special type of person to succeed.  Not necessarily a "Tennessee" guy, but a football version of Bruce Pearl (minus the crap that got him canned).  Someone who will excite the fans with his enthusiasm and recruiting and ultimately by winning.  The person will also need to love the area, or be likely to fall in love with it, and want to stay there.  That may not mean a sexy hire, or home run hire, or splash hire.  And, that will not matter in the least if the program gets turned around.  In the end, it will come down to wins and losses, just like always.  I would much prefer hiring a highly regarded assistant who can recruit like gangbusters to a mediocre, yet experienced, head coach.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:40 EST »

I think the "must have head coaching epxerience" issue is the one area where I disagreed with Hart. 

I agree. But I think Hart may have backed himself into a corner by saying that.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:59:35 EST »

I agree. But I think Hart may have backed himself into a corner by saying that.

Yep!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: