VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 10:12:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 48, 29, 42, 71  (Read 3800 times)
Creek Walker
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:43 EST »

All the excitement I see from UT fans about Strong seems to be centered around the idea that he will do a bang-up job on the recruiting trail. The Big East isn't the SEC, and Louisville isn't Tennessee, but the numbers above are where Louisville's classes have ranked during Strong's tenure according to Rivals.com, beginning with No. 48 nationally in 2010 and ending with the 2013 class, which is currently ranked No. 71.

Thoughts?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:57 EST »

2013 class is short on numbers I think. He is a proven SEC recruiter. He is recruiting at the top of his league.

When I get home I will c&p fortenberrys list of prospects that we will get back in on if he is hired, unless someone wants to beat me to it.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:46:11 EST »

2013 class is short on numbers I think. He is a proven SEC recruiter. He is recruiting at the top of his league.

When I get home I will c&p fortenberrys list of prospects that we will get back in on if he is hired, unless someone wants to beat me to it.

I have seen the list, and I hope I'm under-estimating his recruiting ability. I'm just not sold on Strong, at least from a recruiting standpoint, which is what everyone seems to think his strong suit is/will be.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 12:51:54 EST »

I have seen the list, and I hope I'm under-estimating his recruiting ability. I'm just not sold on Strong, at least from a recruiting standpoint, which is what everyone seems to think his strong suit is/will be.

Ok. Time will tell. I Have no idea if he can have long term success. My nature as a fan is to wait and see what happens.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:55:41 EST »

I don't know if it means anything, but our good friend John Adams writes that Louisville has 33 players from Florida on the team.

Must be just the not-so-good ones from Florida. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:56:37 EST »

My nature as a fan is to wait and see what happens.

Then you suck as a fan.   I have already heard some of our fans saying that we should have just kept Dooley, which proves once again that UT has one of the dumbest fan bases in football.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:58:28 EST »

Then you suck as a fan.  I have already heard some of our fans saying that we should have just kept Dooley, which proves once again that UT has one of the dumbest fan bases in football.

Agreed.

He will be better than Dooley. That may not be good enough.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 01:12:54 EST »

Bobby Petrino's numbers, and those included a couple of hometown 5 stars that Strong has not had a shot at until Quick this year. 

It is hard to recruit to Louisville, and Strong has found numerous 3 star gems in south Florida, and occasional 4 star.  He is an excellent recruiter and does have a Florida pipeline.

BUT, Charlie is like any other coach, he needs talent.  He did not have talent on defense this year, and it showed in giving up lots of points, playing from behind a bunch of games, and giving up lots of big plays.  Fortunately he had the offense to bail out the defense this year, but then the running game went totally south late season, and they lost 2 and struggled in several others.

One other thing about Charlie, he is not polished, and he is not a politician.  He will say what is on his mind, and sometimes not very tactfully. 

My bottom line is, while I love Charlie Strong as coach at Louisville, I would probably prefer Gundy and possibly Fedora over Charlie at Tennessee.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 02:30:44 EST »

which proves once again that UT has one of the dumbest fan bases in football.

No kidding, we definitely have our share.  No one will ever top bammer though. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 03:05:30 EST »

Bobby Petrino's numbers, and those included a couple of hometown 5 stars that Strong has not had a shot at until Quick this year. 

Good job, didn't think about comparing Strong's recruiting to Petrino's when he was there. Makes me feel better about Strong in this regard. Also, At least the defense should know where to line up once in awhile. This past season was embarrassing for Tennessee players and coaches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: