VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 08:07:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damn. Just damn.  (Read 4401 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:18:32 EST »

So, Evan Gattis has been traded by the Braves to the Astros for "prospects".  Prospects?  From the frickin' Astros?  Please.    

This fire sale has turned in to a dumpster fire.  I have survived all of the 100 loss seasons and less than AAA talent at the big league level, and enjoyed the success of the 90s and early 2000s.  

This, however, is teetering on being more than I can handle.  I don't know that I have ever been as disgusted as I am right now with an sports team that I have followed.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 10:43:23 EST »

I am with ya Herb. I just can't imagine the Braves having a fire sale. I have grown old with this franchise. Can't remember them ever not going out of their way to be competitive. They have the money too. What gives? I don't have a clue. They were not in that terrible shape talent wise. They just needed a few more key(offensive) pieces. I'm stumped. They are a great organization. I guess they know what they are doing.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 01:19:12 EST »

I am with ya Herb. I just can't imagine the Braves having a fire sale. I have grown old with this franchise. Can't remember them ever not going out of their way to be competitive. They have the money too. What gives? I don't have a clue. They were not in that terrible shape talent wise. They just needed a few more key(offensive) pieces. I'm stumped. They are a great organization. I guess they know what they are doing.

They DON'T have the money, and haven't since Turner sold the team.    In fact, their TV deal is far and away the worst in MLB, and there's still 13 years left to go on it.  That's a big reason why they're moving out of a <20 year old stadium to a more lucrative location. 

I hate to lose Gattis too, as well as Upton and Heyward.  But they missed the playoffs with those guys, they can do the same without them.  They're clearly trying to move all the players they know they won't be able to re-sign to clear up some funds to put a contender together in 2017, when the new stadium opens.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:04:04 EST »

Don't have a dog in the fight since I'm a St. Louis fan since the early 50's But I was reading on another site and it seemed like most of the response from Braves fans there was they were glad he was gone because he was a hitter but below average defensive player?

They were saying he needed to be a DH in the AL and not in the NL?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 02:46:47 EST »

Don't have a dog in the fight since I'm a St. Louis fan since the early 50's But I was reading on another site and it seemed like most of the response from Braves fans there was they were glad he was gone because he was a hitter but below average defensive player?

They were saying he needed to be a DH in the AL and not in the NL?

He was/is a serviceable catcher- not terrible, but nothing special, either.  Problem is, he isn't a young guy, even though he's only been in the majors for less than 2 years.  He'll turn 29 during the upcoming season, and he's been injury prone.  It's evident that he won't be able to play catcher forever.  And he's a HUGE liability at 1B or OF.  So it makes sense for him to go to the AL and be a DH.  It sounds like the Braves got a pretty good haul of prospects in return, too- the #'s 3, 5, and 21 minor league prospects in the Houston organization. 

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:06:09 EST »

Don't disagree with you in theory, BDV, but this just reeks of a big up yours to the fans.  Gattis is a really popular player who has overcome a lot of personal issues to get to the big leagues and is a guy that Braves fans could pull for.  With the dumpster fire fire sale going on it would have been nice to at least throw the fans a bone, and that bone should have been Gattis. 

And I don't see it ending, either.  I would be willing to bet that if Freddie Freeman even starts the season as a Brave, he won't be there for long.  And Simmons?  He's gone, too. 

Screw the fans.  They don't really matter. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:38:51 EST »

If it is true that they don't have the money, why would you buy a top 5 franchise knowing you couldn't afford to fund it properly to keep them being contenders/competitive every year. It really saddens me. I was raised on the Braves and stayed a Braves fan during the tough years in the 70's. How can that franchise not make enough to support itself like should be supported?

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:41:08 EST »

Don't disagree with you in theory, BDV, but this just reeks of a big up yours to the fans.  Gattis is a really popular player who has overcome a lot of personal issues to get to the big leagues and is a guy that Braves fans could pull for.  With the dumpster fire fire sale going on it would have been nice to at least throw the fans a bone, and that bone should have been Gattis.  

And I don't see it ending, either.  I would be willing to bet that if Freddie Freeman even starts the season as a Brave, he won't be there for long.  And Simmons?  He's gone, too.  

Screw the fans.  They don't really matter.  

Freemen and Simmons aren't going anywhere.  They both signed extensions last year, and at relative bargains, too.  Ditto for Teheran.  Those are the guys they're going to build around.  One more guy you may see get moved, however, is Craig Kimbrel.  The Braves obviously aren't trying to win big for the next couple years, so what use do they have for a frontline closer?  He also signed an extension last year, so whoever got him would have him under contract for the next 4 years.  That means he would bring a LOT in return.  I'm not necessarily saying Hart should actively shop him, but I'd certainly listen to offers.  And if by some miracle BJ Upton and/or Chris Johnson have big first halves and garner some trade interest, you'd certainly want to deal them before the deadline.  I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Unfortunately, this fire sale has been inevitable since 2007, when John Schuerholz dealt every ML-ready prospect in the system for Mark Texiera, who would be gone less than a year later.  On balance, JS did a ton more good than bad in Atlanta, but his last major personnel move would prove to be disastrous.  Wren took over the next year and let scouting go to shizzle.  Once Heyward/Freeman/Simmons/Tehran etc. hit the Show, the Braves farm system, once the best in baseball, the crown jewel that allowed the team to compete even with limited payroll, was gutted.  That's the situation that Hart inherited.  

So what do you do when your ML roster is mediocre and expensive, no one wants to trade for your worst contracts, you have a bad TV deal that won't allow you to pursue frontline free agents, and there's little to no help coming up from the minors?  You have to make some tough decisions and rebuild the hard way, from the bottom up.  That's where we stand now.  Hart has to get scouting and the minor league system right again, because that's the only way the Braves can compete.  And that's going to take a few years.  Hopefully, the payoff will be worth it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:46:00 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 03:08:14 EST »

Hart says that they will be a contender this year. Whistling past the graveyard.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12173446/atlanta-braves-john-hart-says-team-contender
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 12:07:04 EST »

Baseball in January.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: