VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 05:24:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is not a new discussion, but what's driving Ole Miss recruiting success?  (Read 6401 times)
Creek Walker
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:23:25 EST »

They could wind up with both the No. 1 and No. 2 players in the country, plus they have a commit from the nation's No. 2 QB. There's no way in hell that Oxford, Miss., suddenly became a place where top recruits want to play, just 'cause.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:30:25 EST »

Do not take this wrong....

But being very religious in the living rooms of Grandmothers and Aunties goes a long way in helping the process. Now...with that said there are other factor$ too.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:52:49 EST by Tnphil » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 02:40:35 EST »

It's likely because God likes Ole Miss more than other schools. Reverend Freeze has been praying harder than others.

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 02:47:13 EST »

It's likely because God likes Ole Miss more than other schools. Reverend Freeze has been praying harder than others.

The political forum may be a better place for your anti-Christianity drivel than threads that were intended for football discussion.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 03:26:24 EST »

I know Hugh Freeze....I can assure you he walks the walk. What you see is how he is......It helps in recruiting.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 03:44:49 EST »

And that faith helps in a lot of cases.

Remember the Marlon Brown recruitment?  

Really no reason to dog Freeze because of his faith. All that shows is intolerance.   Y'all know how I feel about Kliempsein, but Dabo is another coach who lives his faith in his actions.  Nope.  Still don't like Kliempsein, but I respect Dabo.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 03:49:16 EST »

When you think about the "traditional" selling points in recruiting, how does Ole MIss stack up against their SEC competition?  

Tradition of success?  Well, up until the last couple years, it pretty much begins and ends with Archie Manning.  They even put a banner up in their stadium, claiming one of those bammer style national titles that no one outside of MS actually acknowledges.  But other than that, they're historically much closer to the SEC cellar than the penthouse.

Location?  Oxford is a pretty town, but it's also one of, if not THE most inaccessable place in the league.  And when it comes to nightlife, it's not exactly LA or South Beach.  It's also in the state that, let's be honest, has the most shameful racial history in the country.  Hell, they just ratified the 13th amendment less than three years ago.

Facilities?  They're nice by C-USA standards.  Their stadium is...cute.  But compared to the big boys in the SEC?  Not even close.  Even UK is about to pass them by.

Coach?  Hugh Freeze is career high school coach who had one year of D-1 head coaching experience (at Arkansas State, no less) when he took the OM job.  And yet he started landing a collection of 5* recruits almost from day one.  

So given all that, there must be something that attracts all these recruits.  Perhaps something NON-traditional?  Use your imagination.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:11:21 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 05:05:31 EST »

The political forum may be a better place for your anti-Christianity drivel than threads that were intended for football discussion.

You asked a question, now it seems like you don't like my answer.

why? He uses religion to recruit. It's well known...so it's related to football now isn't it ? If he does it's fair game, brother...

And it was an "anti-use of religion to recruit athletes" drivel,  I didn't mention Christianity.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:28:36 EST by Volznut » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 05:10:07 EST »

And that faith helps in a lot of cases.

Remember the Marlon Brown recruitment?  

Really no reason to dog Freeze because of his faith. All that shows is intolerance.   Y'all know how I feel about Kliempsein, but Dabo is another coach who lives his faith in his actions.  Nope.  Still don't like Kliempsein, but I respect Dabo.  

Freeze can follow whatever faith he wants, so can Dabo. That isn't the issue. When they use that faith to gain an upperhand in recruiting, and I know they do...well, let's just say I ain't that naive. This is a big $$$ game, and I know people will use whatever means necessary to get the upper hand. It isn't just "faith" they're selling.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:14:34 EST by Volznut » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 05:13:25 EST »

When you think about the "traditional" selling points in recruiting, how does Ole MIss stack up against their SEC competition?  

Tradition of success?  Well, up until the last couple years, it pretty much begins and ends with Archie Manning.  They even put a banner up in their stadium, claiming one of those bammer style national titles that no one outside of MS actually acknowledges.  But other than that, they're historically much closer to the SEC cellar than the penthouse.

Location?  Oxford is a pretty town, but it's also one of, if not THE most inaccessable place in the league.  And when it comes to nightlife, it's not exactly LA or South Beach.  It's also in the state that, let's be honest, has the most shameful racial history in the country.  Hell, they just ratified the 13th amendment less than three years ago.

Facilities?  They're nice by C-USA standards.  Their stadium is...cute.  But compared to the big boys in the SEC?  Not even close.  Even UK is about to pass them by.

Coach?  Hugh Freeze is career high school coach who had one year of D-1 head coaching experience (at Arkansas State, no less) when he took the OM job.  And yet he started landing a collection of 5* recruits almost from day one.  

So given all that, there must be something that attracts all these recruits.  Perhaps something NON-traditional?  Use your imagination.

Yep, and you want me to believe that this program, which was flying rebel flags not so long ago, has the history you menton - is attracting 5 star black athletes from places like Illinois, New jersey, and FL? LOL. Everyone knows what is going on.... it's cool though because hey the NCAA is a joke and everyone knows it, so why not take advantage of it ?  Most SEC schools are using non-traditional methods as well. Or maybe it is traditional? $$$$, girls, and faith is a great combination huh?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 05:17:17 EST by Volznut » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 06:25:04 EST »

They have more tradition than Archie.  Prior to about 1968 they were actually a pretty good team.   They fell off the map with desegregation, for what are I guess obvious reason. 

Essentially they swapped places with Florida in the "power 6" of the SEC during the 70s.

Now to your point, the fact that they had some good teams in the 40s and 50s doesn't do shizzle for recruiting, but back in the day they did have a fairly strong program.  They have 6 SEC championships, but none since 1963.

Honestly in the last few years I sometimes wondered if the Vols were not on the same trajectory they were in the 70s.  Feel a bit better about that now.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 04:00:57 EST »

It isn't just "faith" they're selling.

Nope, but college football and basketball recruiting is about relationships.

But as anti-religion in any form as you are, I really don't expect you to understand the part that it plays in those relationships in this day and time.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:34:53 EST by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 04:40:44 EST »

Nope, but college football and basketball recruiting is about relationships.

But as anti-religion in any form as you are, I really don't expect you to understand the part that it plays in those relationships in this day and time.  

No matter how you feel about religion it's perfectly understandable to be cynical about its involvement in college recruiting. If anything I would think the devout would be the most irritated by coaches who use faith (genuine or not) to get a 17-year-old athlete's interest.

It's safest IMO to assume religion is just another pitch or trick coaches use in a highly competitive recruiting environment. And it works. I'm sure it's part of Freeze's charm in living rooms with moms.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 04:52:23 EST »

You asked a question, now it seems like you don't like my answer.

why? He uses religion to recruit. It's well known...so it's related to football now isn't it ? If he does it's fair game, brother...

And it was an "anti-use of religion to recruit athletes" drivel,  I didn't mention Christianity.

So you truly believe God favors Ole Miss and Freeze's success is due to answered prayers? No, you weren't answering a question. TnPhil had already said the same thing you were saying in the reply before yours. You were just using the opportunity for a little anti-Christianity snark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: