VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 06:10:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ummm, Yemi?  (Read 9095 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:56:31 EDT »

http://m.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/apr/22/order-protection-was-taken-out-against-yemi-makanj/
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:16:31 EDT »

Good thing that piece of s**t is leaving. Tennessee doesn't need players who attempt to rape somebody on campus

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
101stDad
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:28:51 EDT »

And now we know the rest of the story. 

I'd just as soon not have filled his scholly with a player who averaged two and a half points in juco basketball, however. 

Honestly, I don't have much confidence in Cunozo Martin at this point. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:44:07 EDT »

And now we know the rest of the story. 

I'd just as soon not have filled his scholly with a player who averaged two and a half points in juco basketball, however. 

Honestly, I don't have much confidence in Cunozo Martin at this point. 

Yup, yup, and yup.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:20:11 EDT »

Yup, yup, and yup.

Sigh, Really wanted him to be a winner.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:27:58 EDT »

Like Dooley....CCM is recruiting himself out of a job.
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 01:31:59 EDT »

If this happened in Feb, why is he just now being let go?
101stDad
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 03:51:47 EDT »

That was my initial thought, too. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:01 EDT »

I'm not sure how much I fault Cuonzo for this part without knowing more. There was a temporary order in place in Feb, but I believe the police will often do that even if there's no known evidence against the accused at the time. This is for the safety of the accusee until the situation can be further evaluated. So if Cuonzo decided to wait to act until more facts were in , I don't blame him . . . especially if the allegations seemed out of character for Yemi.

It's easy to judge from outside the situation but a coach has to carefully balance being fair to the player and being just. Accused != guilty.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Model 12
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:12 EDT »

My daughter is also a frosh at UT and knows some of the unspoken details.  She tells me that there is more to the story and for us to not be too hard on Yemi.  I trust her judgement. 

Remember Nilo Silvan?  Accused of raping Joey Kent's GF, kicked off the team by CPF, season ends, girl recants, Nilo ruined.  Let Yemi go in peace and trust CCM to make the right call.
101stDad
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 01:39:12 EDT »

My daughter is also a frosh at UT and knows some of the unspoken details.  She tells me that there is more to the story and for us to not be too hard on Yemi.  I trust her judgement. 

Remember Nilo Silvan?  Accused of raping Joey Kent's GF, kicked off the team by CPF, season ends, girl recants, Nilo ruined.  Let Yemi go in peace and trust CCM to make the right call.

Don't buy it.  Yemi "agreed" to the order of protection.  Not something that most people do when there isn't something to it. 

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:08:22 EDT »

Don't buy it.  Yemi "agreed" to the order of protection.  Not something that most people do when there isn't something to it. 

If he wants nothing to do with her now (reasonable since she practically accused him of rape) agreeing to the order is the easiest way to end it with no charges, no court, etc. I don't know enough to say what happened but I do think that scenario is plausible.

And IF that is the case, the KNS was irresponsible in even printing this story. There apparently wasn't enough evidence for him to be charged so one has to wonder.

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 02:11:45 EDT »

If he wants nothing to do with her now (reasonable since she practically accused him of rape) agreeing to the order is the easiest way to end it with no charges, no court, etc. I don't know enough to say what happened but I do think that scenario is plausible.

And IF that is the case, the KNS was irresponsible in even printing this story. There apparently wasn't enough evidence for him to be charged so one has to wonder.

Don't blame the KNS. Any time there is an order of protection against a major-sports athlete at a major university like UT, it's news. There's nothing irresponsible about it.

Otherwise, I agree. An order of protection does not equate guilt. Not even close.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:16:06 EDT »

Don't blame the KNS. Any time there is an order of protection against a major-sports athlete at a major university like UT, it's news. There's nothing irresponsible about it.

Otherwise, I agree. An order of protection does not equate guilt. Not even close.

Except that it drags a kid's name through the mud merely for being accused. You and I both know what that does. See 101stDad's reaction, which is the norm. I'm not saying the KNS did anything out of the ordinary for a media source . . . just that I wish the media would hold back on things like this when there are no charges filed.

101stDad
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 07:30:19 EDT »

OK, think for a minute about this:

Yemi is not an American citizen.  He is likely here on a student visa.  Knowing that legal issues could revoke that visa and force him to leave the country, is it reasonable to believe that he would willingly agree to the protection order if there weren't valid reasons for it? 

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 07:39:01 EDT »

OK, think for a minute about this:

Yemi is not an American citizen.  He is likely here on a student visa.  Knowing that legal issues could revoke that visa and force him to leave the country, is it reasonable to believe that he would willingly agree to the protection order if there weren't valid reasons for it? 

Yes, it is reasonable. Especially if it eliminated any chance of a court case that really could jeopardize his status.

101stDad
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 07:56:47 EDT »

Yes, it is reasonable. Especially if it eliminated any chance of a court case that really could jeopardize his status.

Sorry, CO.  That makes zero sense.  Agreeing to it is the same as admitting guilt.  It's the same as if there were a court hearing. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 08:10:33 EDT »

Sorry, CO.  That makes zero sense.  Agreeing to it is the same as admitting guilt.  It's the same as if there were a court hearing. 

Life is not always that black and white.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 08:40:08 EDT »

Nope, not always that simple.
Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 08:59:20 EDT »

An order of protection is not a criminal indictment or conviction. I have never heard of a green card being revoked due to an order of protection being taken out.

It isn't uncommon for the defendant to agree to terms of the order of protection. In fact, I think most court officers who have experience with these matters will tell you that both parties agree to the order of protection much more often than not. Attorneys I'm familiar with will advise clients who seek advice or representation that they're better off to agree to the order if it doesn't involve a spouse or there isn't a minor child in the picture that might muddy things. Agreeing to orders of protection is not an admission of guilt; it is just a way to avoid having to go to court for a hearing. In his case, Yemi would've clearly been better off to agree with the order and move on. And, just to reiterate, it isn't at all uncommon to do so.

I don't know whether he's guilty or innocent, but I think it's very plausible that he agreed to the order of protection because he felt (or was advised) that it was in his best interest. Certainly he wouldn't be the first innocent person to do so -- not by a long stretch.
101stDad
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 10:12:15 EDT »

An order of protection is not a criminal indictment or conviction. I have never heard of a green card being revoked due to an order of protection being taken out.

It isn't uncommon for the defendant to agree to terms of the order of protection. In fact, I think most court officers who have experience with these matters will tell you that both parties agree to the order of protection much more often than not. Attorneys I'm familiar with will advise clients who seek advice or representation that they're better off to agree to the order if it doesn't involve a spouse or there isn't a minor child in the picture that might muddy things. Agreeing to orders of protection is not an admission of guilt; it is just a way to avoid having to go to court for a hearing. In his case, Yemi would've clearly been better off to agree with the order and move on. And, just to reiterate, it isn't at all uncommon to do so.

I don't know whether he's guilty or innocent, but I think it's very plausible that he agreed to the order of protection because he felt (or was advised) that it was in his best interest. Certainly he wouldn't be the first innocent person to do so -- not by a long stretch.

A green card and a student visa are two entirely separate things. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 10:31:53 EDT »

A green card and a student visa are two entirely separate things. 

The point stands.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 11:36:20 EDT »

I'll toss this out from a good friend who is a criminal court judge.

1) Don't talk to the cops. Don't talk to the cops. Don't talk to the cops. This goes for innocent people because anything can be twisted.

2) Anyone can be indicted (an indictment is not a conviction) for anything.

3) Pretty much anyone (guilty or innocent) will plead to anything if faced with a horrible worst case scenario. Going to trial is scary and/or expensive.

If this is Politivol territory please delete or move it there. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Quasi EVol
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 04:32:28 EDT »

I'll toss this out from a good friend who is a criminal court judge.

1) Don't talk to the cops. Don't talk to the cops. Don't talk to the cops. This goes for innocent people because anything can be twisted.

2) Anyone can be indicted (an indictment is not a conviction) for anything.

3) Pretty much anyone (guilty or innocent) will plead to anything if faced with a horrible worst case scenario. Going to trial is scary and/or expensive.

If this is Politivol territory please delete or move it there. 

That's not political - That's common sense!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: