VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 06:52:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple question...Do you believe this team will beat the Sooners. Yes or no?  (Read 10874 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:21:29 EDT »

I don't want to hear any maybe's. If you had to bet a months pay on the game, would you go for the Vols straight up. I would have to say yes. It's only money. I will add this... this seasons team is as big a question mark as any in the past few few years. Are we as good as we think? We shall see. it only takes a few bad plays to be 5-7 again.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:27:05 EDT »

No.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 07:27:57 EDT »

Yes.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:38:12 EDT »

Yes. The game is in Knoxville and the first home game. I can see us winning the game by about 7-10 points
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:50:00 EDT »

Vols win. I've been telling guys that I think we'll beat 'em. Early game, at home, everyone is rested and healthy....I really think we win. I think the D is going to dominate them and our ground game (includes Dobbs running out of called passing plays) will be too much for them, they get focused on him running and then he burns 'em deep.       
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 10:18:28 EDT »

I don't want to hear any maybe's. If you had to bet a months pay on the game, would you go for the Vols straight up. I would have to say yes. It's only money. I will add this... this seasons team is as big a question mark as any in the past few few years. Are we as good as we think? We shall see. it only takes a few bad plays to be 5-7 again.

From an outsiders perspective....yes. And it will be your D that wins the game, IMO. From what I can see, they have turned the corner and have the potential to shut the Sooners down. Hope you guys destroy em.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:34:31 EDT »

Surely I'm not the only negative nellie around here. C'mon, someone help me out. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:21:59 EDT »

Yes, by more than a TD

(assuming no additional significant injurires between now and 9/12)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 11:30:07 EDT »

I like our chances...and they have a good shot as well. I think if we get 27 we win. OU's running game is nasty, but I'm unsure how their QB will handle a hostile environment.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 12:01:48 EDT »

I like our chances...and they have a good shot as well. I think if we get 27 we win. OU's running game is nasty, but I'm unsure how their QB will handle a hostile environment.

Memorial Stadium is quiet and Neyland is going to be as loud as it has been in years. It should be a bit of a shock for him, for sure.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 12:12:14 EDT »

Neyland is going to be as loud as it has been in years.
I will do my part

In fact, I think every gate should have a "I will give my all for Tennessee today" sign to slap on the way in.

BTW, I kept hearing from Oregon fans how loud Autzen was.  Not even close, perhaps 7th in the SEC, at best.  The overhangs on both sides helped but in reality even Arkansas is louder.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 01:56:24 EDT »

No.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 02:30:56 EDT »

WWFDT.

CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 02:55:25 EDT »

No, not quite there yet.  However the VOLS are definitely going in the right direction.

Wherever you go, there you are.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 05:39:12 EDT »

Memorial Stadium is quiet and Neyland is going to be as loud as it has been in years. It should be a bit of a shock for him, for sure.

It was pretty noisy last year.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 05:44:02 EDT »

Yes but I'd only wager a week's salary 

Here's a tidbit...two of their OL from last year are now playing on Sunday, and another that graduated was 2nd team all big 12.  They only have a total of 28 starts back on the OL.  Two starters (and not their best players at that) and some second teamers with a couple starts between them. They are also unsettled at QB.

Our DL was was top notch last year.  Well, in fairness the DEs were and the DTs were adequate at least. 

Let me put it this way...if Kahlil MacKenzie is going to shine this season, this game would be a great place to start.   

Given our improvement on defense last year and what they are bringing this year, I have no doubt we can hold them to a reasonable amount of points, and I am confident that Dobbs is enough of a difference, along with Kamira (sp? the former bammer running back), not to mention the year of experience for our line, for us to score enough to win.

I expect us to win.  We will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 05:44:39 EDT »

Don't see it happening. Oklahoma is still on another level.  

UT is getting there, but not there yet.  Still way too many OL issues.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 05:51:52 EDT »

Don't see it happening. Oklahoma is still on another level.  

UT is getting there, but not there yet.  Still way too many OL issues.  

I agree on the OL, but Dobb's is a world of difference from Worley.  I am going to go out on a limb and predict they don't get 5 sacks this year.

Its also worth pointing out that the top two tacklers on their DT are gone.  They do get all their LBs back though, including Stryker who gave us fits last year.  With Worley.   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 12:32:28 EDT »

It was pretty noisy last year.   
It wasn't anywhere near SEC level noise
Besides, you were up high ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 12:49:59 EDT »

Yes

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 04:09:28 EDT »

Yes.
10EC
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 05:09:28 EDT »

WWFDT...
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 06:35:32 EDT »

It wasn't anywhere near SEC level noise
Besides, you were up high ...

I agree that Neyland is much louder when we are good or invested in the game.  But it was hardly "quiet".   

Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 07:22:31 EDT »

No.  I don't believe that UT has arrived at that level yet.  Given that UT teams under CBJ have only beaten SEC foes VU, UK and USCe to date, I don't see UT beating OU this year.   

I do expect that next year's UT team will have developed sufficiently to compete with or beat teams that are at OU's level.   

Now, I would bet that UT beats UF this year.. in Gainesville.. even given the "streak" that UF is on currently in the series.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 05:03:06 EDT »

No.  I don't believe that UT has arrived at that level yet.  Given that UT teams under CBJ have only beaten SEC foes VU, UK and USCe to date, I don't see UT beating OU this year.   

I do expect that next year's UT team will have developed sufficiently to compete with or beat teams that are at OU's level.   

Now, I would bet that UT beats UF this year.. in Gainesville.. even given the "streak" that UF is on currently in the series.

You and others are not paying attention to how OU ended the season LY.  They lost 5 of their last 9 including a 48-14 blowout by Baylor and a 40-6 debacle in the bowl game against Clemson.  During that stretch, they only managed to beat Texas 31-26.  During that stretch, they struggled at QB and that still is not resolved.

OU was 8-5 last year and we were 7-6.  Since the general expectation is that we will win 8 games, then we are LITERALLY "at their level" this year.

I think a lot of you are overestimating OU.

And speaking of teams we should beat this year, we will finally have uga's number.  You guys have cheated death 3 years running, and he is very angry.   

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: