VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 11:41:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Allright so no Gruden - Give me your take on the candidates  (Read 12447 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012, 08:36:21 EST »

Me, in order of preference:

1 - Gundy - Knows how to set up and run a great offensive system. Good offensive mind. Motivator. Solid experience. Would need to hire a good DC. Would be a great hire
2 - Fedora - Great offensive mind, would implement a spread offense that would work well. UNC fans love him. WON big at Southern Miss. Would be a great hire
3 - Strong - Has done well at Louisville, defensive minded. Recruits well and has SEC ties. Would be a good hire
4 - Bob Stoops - Vast experience, NC winner, but are his best days behind him? I can get behind it, but I am not sure he will get it done.
5- Jimbo Fisher - Has done pretty well at FSU, and has connections, but seems to be losing assistants. I'm not sure he would be able to compete with the big boys of the SEC. Don't want
6 - Al Golden - Did turn Temple around, but doesn't seem to be doing much at Miami. Defensive minded. Meh.
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:38:45 EST »

Stoops would be my preference, then Fedora, but really I don't much care. I'll just leave it up to the administration to make the right pick and bring me back into the fold. Otherwise I may spend a lot of time listening to Bob and Tim while deer hunting next fall. (Which, come to think of it, I spent much of my time doing this fall.)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:42:17 EST »

1a) Some guy who has taken two different schools to BCS games and is currently unemployed. He could be had for cheap.

1b) Gary Patterson

2) Gundy

3) Fisher

4) Strong

5) No one else deserves consideration though you could make an argument for Mullen. Lots of guys are o.k. I want a guy who is proven to be very good and those are available.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:45:01 EST »

1 - Gundy - Good offensive mind. Motivator. Solid experience. Would need a strong DC
2 - Strong - Has done well at Louisville, defensive minded. Recruits well and has SEC ties. Would be a very good hire
3 - Bob Stoops - Vast experience, Defensive minded, NC winner
4- Jimbo Fisher – Has done well at F$U.  Can recruit.  Would need a strong DC.
5 - Patterson - Winner, period, dot.  Good defensive mind.
6 - Mora Turned UCLA around in one year.  Good, solid coach
7 - Fedora - Would implement a spread offense that could work well. UNC fans love him. Won at Southern Miss but can he win in the SEC?
10 - Al Golden - Meh.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:50:54 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:57:40 EST »

The moral of the story is there's a really stong candidate pool available and many are coaching this weekend. Hart may mess up, but as I type this we're in good shape.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:02:48 EST »

I'd put Gary Patterson and Jimbo Fisher as My top 2

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 09:08:02 EST »

1 - Gundy
2 - Patterson
3 - Fedora
4 - Stoops
5 - Strong
6 - Fisher

For me there's a pretty big break between 3 and 4. Larry Fedora is growing on me the longer I digest his history and is moving up the list.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 09:09:01 EST »

Patterson hasn't show interest
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:10:18 EST »

What's your opinion on Charlie Strong? I wouldn't mind Him at UT,even though those losses to Syracuse and UConn concern Me

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:11:20 EST »

Has anyone mentioned in this thread "shown interest"?

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 09:17:35 EST »

Has anyone mentioned in this thread "shown interest"?

Well, according to Hubbs. Fisher, Fedora, and Gundy may have some interest. Strong is likely to be interviewed in the next few days.

I don't know why we wouldn't consider a guy like Mora.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 09:19:55 EST »

Well, according to Hubbs. Fisher, Fedora, and Gundy may have some interest. Strong is likely to be interviewed in the next few days.

I forgot about Mora. He'd be somewhere in my list but not in the top 3.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 09:21:26 EST »

I don't care about interest. That's why you sell. Patterson has a game tomorrow AND he may also assume the UT job is locked up and not want to go through the process just to be told no. Most of us don't want to be interviewed if there's no shot.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 09:21:36 EST »

Good point - put Mora Jr in at #6 and move Fedora down to #7.  While you are at it, move Golden down to #20

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 09:22:02 EST »

I forgot about Mora. He'd be somewhere in my list but not in the top 3.

Looks like Hart is interviewing a candidate as we speak. Per Hubbs, it's either Strong, Fedora, or Golden being interviewed this afternoon

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:26:38 EST »

Looks like Hart is interviewing a candidate as we speak. Per Hubbs, it's either Strong, Fedora, or Golden being interviewed this afternoon

In order of my preference

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 09:50:25 EST »

If we're going to take a coach from an ACC team that was mediocre this year I'd strongly prefer Fedora over Golden. Strong is OK but I don't want Golden.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 09:52:37 EST »

If we're going to take a coach from an ACC team that was mediocre this year I'd strongly prefer Fedora over Golden. Strong is OK but I don't want Golden.
agree

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:56 EST »

I think Strong is the guy they are interviewing today. I'd be ok with him, with a good OC. I wonder if he'd keep Chaney.

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 09:56:55 EST »

I think Strong is the guy they are interviewing today. I'd be ok with him, with a good OC. I wonder if he'd keep Chaney.

It would be nice if Teddy Bridgewater came to Knoxville along with Charlie Strong

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 09:58:56 EST »

One of the the reasons I would like a defensive minded coach besides we need to improve greatly on defense is that hope he would retain most, if not all the offensive staff.  I am comfortable with the staff, other than perhaps Coiner.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 10:09:26 EST »

I don't know if Strong would be a homerun (only about three guys are guaranteed to be), but he would at least be a significant upgrade. I think we can do better, but no one riots if he's hired like some would if any ACC options are the choice. If he keeps Graham and Chaney that's a good start.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 10:10:09 EST »

I don't know if Strong would be a homerun (only about three guys are guaranteed to be), but he would at least be a significant upgrade. I think we can do better, but no one riots if he's hired like some would if any ACC options are the choice. If he keeps Graham and Chaney that's a good start.
I would add Pittman to yur list of keepers

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:59 EST »

I would add Pittman to yur list of keepers

He did a damn good job

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 10:16:35 EST »

Yeah, Pittman is an absolute keeper. I shouldn't have overlooked him.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: