VTTW Board Index
May 07, 2024, 06:21:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strong - a bit of controversy but what the hell  (Read 9241 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012, 10:00:15 EST »

I like controversy. He has had issues getting hired before, like Turner Gill, because his wife is Caucasian.

He even says so in this article from a few years ago

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2009/01/florida-defensi.html

I don't think that would be an issue with UT, but Auburn did interview him. If they didn't take Gill a few years ago for this reason (per the article) then they probably wouldn't take Strong.....or would they? Would Strong consider them, since AU could be desperate?

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:02:19 EST »

I think Auburn could sign Bob Petrino. Auburn could find it very hard to hire a Coach in their current situation(NCAA) and BP wants to get back in the Major Leagues of College Football. I don't care if His(Charlie Strong's) Wife is white as long as He helps get Tennessee 9-11 wins a season within a few seasons
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:04:11 EST by WoodstockVol » Logged

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:04:55 EST »

I don't give a damn if he can coach - and I think he can.
His team last night fought hard and found a way to win, something we haven't accomplished in awhile.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:04 EST »

That couldn't be a bigger non-issue. Dropping back-to-back games is a drawback, but that's the only knock.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:23 EST »

I don't give a damn if he can coach - and I think he can.
His team last night fought hard and found a way to win, something we haven't accomplished in awhile.

It would be nice to have Bridgewater in a Tennessee uniform,He's got a rocket for an arm

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 10:08:18 EST »

That couldn't be a bigger non-issue. Dropping back-to-back games is a drawback, but that's the only knock.

He brought Louisville back from the dead,which IS impressive

Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:10:01 EST »

I laugh out loud at that speculation. Strong may feel that way, which is probably one of the factors that will make it hard to pull him away from Louisville (he feels indebted to the school for giving him his big break, similar to the way Pearl felt to UT) and maybe on some levels there is even some truth to it, but at the end of the day most people who make the racism accusations fail to look at the credentials of the coach.

Did Auburn pass over Turner Gill because he had a white wife or because they realized he was not a good coach? He had only had a so-so tenure at Buffalo. Kansas hired him and he was face-planted in the Big 12. It was so disastrous that he was fired after just two seasons.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:01 EST »

I laugh out loud at that speculation. Strong may feel that way, which is probably one of the factors that will make it hard to pull him away from Louisville (he feels indebted to the school for giving him his big break, similar to the way Pearl felt to UT) and maybe on some levels there is even some truth to it, but at the end of the day most people who make the racism accusations fail to look at the credentials of the coach.

Did Auburn pass over Gill Turner because he had a white wife or because they realized he was not a good coach? He had only had a so-so tenure at Buffalo. Kansas hired him and he was face-planted in the Big 12. It was so disastrous that he was fired after just two seasons.

Tennessee needs to get a big name to start pulling in major recruits again. I don't want Tennessee to be like Iowa where the best You can hope for is a winning season and a Bowl game

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 10:15:39 EST »

As a tagent I disagree on Turner Gill. He turned around a moribund Buffalo program and got only two years at Kansas because (conjecture coming) the Jayhawks thought Weiss could coach. That was a horrible move on their part.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:16:35 EST »

As a tagent I disagree on Turner Gill. He turned around a moribund Buffalo program and got only two years at Kansas because (conjecture coming) the Jayhawks thought Weiss could coach. That was a horrible move on their part.

Weiss would be a damn good offensive coordinator

101stDad
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:51 EST »

That's BS and nothing but race baiting.  Whether Strong's wife is white, black, purple, green, or pink and yellow polka dotted has zero impact on his either being or not being a candidate for the UT job.  
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 10:18:54 EST »

I like controversy. He has had issues getting hired before, like Turner Gill, because his wife is Caucasian.

He even says so in this article from a few years ago

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2009/01/florida-defensi.html

I don't think that would be an issue with UT, but Auburn did interview him. If they didn't take Gill a few years ago for this reason (per the article) then they probably wouldn't take Strong.....or would they? Would Strong consider them, since AU could be desperate?

If that matters to any of the powers that be at UT then they don't need to be powers that be anymore.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:19:37 EST »

Weiss would be a damn good offensive coordinator
Disagree, he has sucked everywhere he has coached at the college level

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:58 EST »

Disagree, he has sucked everywhere he has coached at the college level

His 2005-2006 Notre Dame teams with Brady Quinn and Jeff Samarcjah had damn good offenses

Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:26:54 EST »

He had one good year at Buffalo. He won the MAC in '08 and then finished 5-7 in '09. At Kansas he was 5-19 in two seasons. Kansas is still terrible under Weiss as far as their record but they're a bit more competitive. It took Texas Tech two OTs to beat them this year and they came within a TD of beating Texas and Oklahoma State.
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 10:27:20 EST »

His 2005-2006 Notre Dame teams with Brady Quinn and Jeff Samarcjah had damn good offenses

His 2011 Florida team had a damn bad offense.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 01:05:03 EST »

not really.  They struggled, a lot

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 01:15:30 EST »

. It took Texas Tech two OTs to beat them this year and they came within a TD of beating Texas and Oklahoma State.

Theres no such thing as a moral victory! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 03:45:48 EST »

Theres no such thing as a moral victory! 

It's only a moral victory when you're talking about your own team. I have no stake in Kansas football so I can talk about how competitive they were in their losses. 
Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 04:03:30 EST »

Pirate, if you think Weis's offenses struggled a lot in 2005 and 2006, you might want to stop drinking those Diet Dr. Peppers - they're fogging your brain.     In 2005 the offense averaged 37 points a game and ND ended the year in the top 10.  In 2006 the offense averaged 31 points a game and ND ended the year in the top 20.  If that's struggling a lot - I'd take it.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 04:05:19 EST »

Pirate, if you think Weis's offenses struggled a lot in 2005 and 2006, you might want to stop drinking those Diet Dr. Peppers - they're fogging your brain.     In 2005 the offense averaged 37 points a game and ND ended the year in the top 10.  In 2006 the offense averaged 31 points a game and ND ended the year in the top 20.  If that's struggling a lot - I'd take it.   
I can't help it if you have low standards ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Be-the-Vol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 04:10:48 EST »

Oh, I forgot......
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 04:58:44 EST »

That's BS and nothing but race baiting.  Whether Strong's wife is white, black, purple, green, or pink and yellow polka dotted has zero impact on his either being or not being a candidate for the UT job.  
This. Funny, I can honestly say that I don't even recognize skin color, just the personalities. My best soldier is black, but  really don't recognize it because he kicks ass on a daily basis. If String is the best candidate, hire him. It really is that simple
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 06:58:51 EST by FLVOL » Logged

11B4PJ3F7
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 05:19:58 EST »

After reading some pieces from VQ, I'd be happy with Strong.  Get Tee on staff, as well.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 06:58:10 EST »

After reading some pieces from VQ, I'd be happy with Strong.  Get Tee on staff, as well.
Me too. He would be my pick, even over JG. I liked his coaching and X & O abilities when he was with the Gators, and he's done good things as a head coach. I will be satisfied with him as our HC.

As for Tee, he would make a solid position coach. I would like to see him in about 8-10 more years, I think he could be a very good OC. Plus, that ring would be great in the living room when recruiting

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: