VTTW Board Index
May 03, 2024, 09:03:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's face it. This program needs about five years of top 5 recruiting classes.  (Read 2343 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:38:40 EST »

I am not that concerned about the coaching staff. If they can recruit, the talent will come. I just hope that all the commitments we have come through. I suspect we will lose a few and gain some not already committed. But, if you get deep talent, you are going to win. Does anyone think Saban would be successful with UT's roster right now. Nope. Fulmer is a good example. He was a good coach, but not great. Look at the talent he had to play with. He actually should have won a lot more than he did. Looking back at the past he was almost like Mack Brown in wasting talent. Lots of NFL talent played for Fulmer. But Fulmer could recruit, or at least had coaches on the staff that could recruit. The Jones staff has to be the same way. But in today's world you have to win now. Have fans really got the patience for five years. I don't think so. Pelini wins 9-10 games every year and his job ain't safe. Just got to put things in perspective. Actually most of UT's athletic teams have been down recently. We haven't competed for a championship in none of the big 3 sports in a long time. Even the Lady Vols basketball teams are lacking the talent they are accustomed to. I just hope they all get back to competing at higher levels.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:05:02 EST »

Have no doubt it will take another 2-3 years to get to where we can play with the big boys. It's a shame and UT luck because the SEC East is down right now. One good class like the 2014 class is good but you just can't count on Freshman coming in and getting the job done right off the bat.

Kiffin set us back 3-5 years and Dooley came close.....Going to take a while!

Nebraska should be competing for the Slow-10 title. There is little competition in that conference right now. Nebraska in the SEC playing our schedule would be a 6-6 type team.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:25:41 EST »

IMO, 2-3 years of top flight recruits will put us back in the game.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 11:35:18 EST »

Kiffin set us back 3-5 years and Dooley came close.....Going to take a while!

I think Kiffin set the program back, but Dooley then took it and totally destroyed it.  In other words, Dooley inherited a mess and made it much, much worse.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:28:06 EST »

It's not gonna be easy. How do you catch someone like Bama that is loaded now and has #1 classes still coming in every year? It is a daunting task. I won't be completely happy until we can beat them regularly. Happiness looks really distant right now.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 03:34:09 EST »

It's not gonna be easy. How do you catch someone like Bama that is loaded now and has #1 classes still coming in every year? It is a daunting task. I won't be completely happy until we can beat them regularly. Happiness looks really distant right now.

Not worried about bammer, hate them as I do.  Focus on winning most of our games and mostly on keeping recruiting high...if we are always in the top 5 we can beat anyone.  Heck, LSU has challenged bammer the most of anyone during this run, and their recruiting the last 4 years is ranked only 9th in the country on average.  Top five every year, we can do that, and we can eventually beat even bammer.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: