VTTW Board Index
May 08, 2024, 10:12:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lady Vols beat the #2 seed, on their home floor  (Read 5098 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2016, 12:20:13 EDT »

VB gets his wish

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:40:27 EDT »

They played well last nite - great defense!

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:28:36 EDT »

Great win and the LVs played well......But, it took about 5 minutes to see that ASU didn't come close to having the athletes UT did.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 05:37:12 EDT »

Great win and the LVs played well......But, it took about 5 minutes to see that ASU didn't come close to having the athletes UT did.
So exactly we do we have the most losses this year by a LV team EVER?

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 05:03:45 EDT »

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. I was talking to my sister who lives in Bristol that I was going to the LV game in Sioux Falls. She said, well you better go to their first game. It struck me as funny. I don't expect them to beat the Buckeyes either. I'm just convinced Holly will be just like Cuonzo and win a few games in the tourney thus protecting her job, and prolonging the inevitable suffering we will be forced to endure for another season. I just feel Pat or Geno could win with this team. Maybe I am wrong.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 05:16:24 EDT »

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. I was talking to my sister who lives in Bristol that I was going to the LV game in Sioux Falls. She said, well you better go to their first game. It struck me as funny. I don't expect them to beat the Buckeyes either. I'm just convinced Holly will be just like Cuonzo and win a few games in the tourney thus protecting her job, and prolonging the inevitable suffering we will be forced to endure for another season. I just feel Pat or Geno could win with this team. Maybe I am wrong.

Can't stand Geno, but he would go to the Final Four with this team. Pat in her prime would as well.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 02:00:31 EDT »

So exactly we do we have the most losses this year by a LV team EVER?

You know the answer to that....or at least I hope you do?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 02:23:07 EDT »

Can't stand Geno, but he would go to the Final Four with this team. Pat in her prime would as well.

Maybe.  But I don't think either would win it all with this team, let alone go undefeated like Geno is about to do again.  I'm probably...no, I'm DEFINITELY Holly's biggest detractor around here, but I'm not under any illusions that she's working with an all-time roster.  This team doesn't have half the talent that UConn does.  Or any of Pat's best teams, FTM- there's no Holdsclaw or Parker to be found on this roster (and I realize that that falls on Holly, too).

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 02:58:58 EDT »

Maybe.  But I don't think either would win it all with this team, let alone go undefeated like Geno is about to do again.  I'm probably...no, I'm DEFINITELY Holly's biggest detractor around here, but I'm not under any illusions that she's working with an all-time roster.  This team doesn't have half the talent that UConn does.  Or any of Pat's best teams, FTM- there's no Holdsclaw or Parker to be found on this roster (and I realize that that falls on Holly, too).

No, this team would not beat UConn...nor would it beat the UT teams of the late '90s. But this is a very, very talented basketball team. IMO, even an average coach should've been able to take this team to the Sweet 16, maybe even the Elite Eight. That AzSt team that Tennessee beat was co-champion of a very good Pac 12 league and as Phil said, it was obvious from the outset that UT was clearly the most talented team on the court. Let's put it this way -- should this UT team win the national championship? Without a doubt, no. But is this UT team too good to have the most losses in school history? Without a doubt, yes.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 03:05:46 EDT »

No, this team would not beat UConn...nor would it beat the UT teams of the late '90s. But this is a very, very talented basketball team. IMO, even an average coach should've been able to take this team to the Sweet 16, maybe even the Elite Eight. That AzSt team that Tennessee beat was co-champion of a very good Pac 12 league and as Phil said, it was obvious from the outset that UT was clearly the most talented team on the court. Let's put it this way -- should this UT team win the national championship? Without a doubt, no. But is this UT team too good to have the most losses in school history? Without a doubt, yes.

There's no doubt that this team is far too talented to have lost 14 games.  But even more worrisome than that is the fact that Holly's recruiting has fallen off a cliff.  If she loses 14 with this roster, what's she going to to do with a roster full of 3*'s in a couple years?  

And make no mistake- Holly WILL still be here in a couple years.  Given the current climate at UT, Dave Hart couldn't fire her if he wanted to.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 03:28:04 EDT »

But is this UT team too good to have the most losses in school history? Without a doubt, yes.
My point in response to Phil's post below.

Pat won a NC with a team that lost 10 games (96/97), perhaps Pat's greatest coaching effort in her stellar career.

BTW, her largest loss season was 11 games and that team lost in the first round.

A personal note, in the 2007 tourney the Lady Vols beat Marist in the regionals at UD arena. 
Parker mailed it in on the defensive end on a play.  When the ball came in front of the LV bench Pat calls timeout in a LOUD voice (we were sitting next to the pep band).  Candice RUNS to the bench and sits down, knowing what is coming and Pat gave it to her, full stare mode during the few non verbal moments.  Almost all of the TO was spent addressing Parker's lack of defensive effort.  Star or a bench warmer, there were no favorites.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 03:23:42 EDT »

I have no confidence that this team can make the Sweet 16.

Wait...what?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: