VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 06:36:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First renderings of the new Braves' stadium are out  (Read 2347 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2014, 09:25:23 EDT »

http://homeofthebraves.com/renderings/

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:28:10 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:51:20 EDT »

Gonna be nice by the looks of it.

volsboyinsodak
10EC
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:01:23 EDT »

Couple of things...

1) No Giant Coke Can or Chik-fil-a cow in Outfield.  Obvious miss.

2) Where is the picture of the massive traffic jam at Windy Hill?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:35 EDT »

Keep in mind that these "preliminary" drawings are usually just that.  The finished product could look a lot different than what we see here.  But it does look like it will be built into the ground, keeping a low exterior profile, and will have that huge pavilion that keeps most of the seats in the dry.  Beyond that, who knows?

I'm kind of a ballpark buff.  I think it's interesting how things have evolved in the post-multipurpose era.  Beginning with Camden Yards in the early 90's, the big buzzword in ballpark design was "retro".  Every new stadium was trying to be Wrigley or Fenway.  That's not necessarily bad (certainly better than those cookie-cutter monstrosities of the 60's and 70's), but they did all begin to look alike after awhile.  But new stadium builds in the past 5 years or so have taken a different tact.  While still maintaining a lot of the elements of retro ballparks (asymmetrical shapes, varying outfield wall height, scant foul ground, etc.), the architecture itself is thoroughly modern.  See the new parks in Miami and Minnesota, for example. 

Just based on these rough drawings, this new park in Atlanta reminds me of Target Field in Minnesota more than anything else.  But I also see elements of Dodger Stadium and Jacobs Field (or whatever they're calling it now) in Cleveland.

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 03:05:54 EDT »

Gonna be nice by the looks of it.

I for one am glad they are moving it out of downtown ATL. I do like The Ted, but I think it'll be nice having the stadium in a location that actually has other places around it that you wouldn't mind being in after dark. I do wonder, however, what the parking situation and traffic will be like.  I can't imagine how they will avoid having the severe congestion that that area already has.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: