VTTW Board Index
May 05, 2024, 03:40:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do y'all think of the lawsuit the NFL players are bringing against the NFL  (Read 2621 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:51:52 EDT »

in regards to prescribing painkillers. I feel that the players knew what they were getting into. Most of them would have smacked a doctor for telling them they couldn't play that week. They did what they needed to play. Now they want to sue the NFL for things they were implicit in condoning. It is the culture of the NFL. I feel it is a money grab for the ex-players. They were paid well for the sacrifices they made. I never hear any of the ex-players taking any responsibility for any of this. How many of them said no I won't take that?

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:13:06 EDT »

I'm with the players on the concussion issue. I have mixed feelings on the drug issue. I think that players knew what they were taking. If some guy just insisted on being given a drug so that he could play, that's his assumption of risk.  But also I expect many players were afraid of losing their jobs if they didn't take certain drugs so that they could play. If teams were putting pressure on them to do whatever it took in order to play, that might cause me to look at the player's position in a more favorable light.

After all, I did see North Dallas Forty
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:54:25 EDT »

If as one player claims that he had a broken leg and they waited until after the season to tell him, they deserve to be sued.  I think all that money the league has given to owners may be about to be directed elsewhere. I would be talking settlement and long-term health care. Quickly.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:24:38 EDT »

I got shots in my toe...my ankle...my shoulder...my knee...my elbow at one time or another. I think I'll join this 'Give me something, you OWE me something' lawsuit....even though I didn't make millions like these players did. Come to think about it I was in college and didn't get paid a dime.  Good grief, the dumbing down of America continues!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:16:25 EDT »

If as one player claims that he had a broken leg and they waited until after the season to tell him, they deserve to be sued.  I think all that money the league has given to owners may be about to be directed elsewhere. I would be talking settlement and long-term health care. Quickly.

It seems to me then, that it would make more sense to let individuals sue and not do the class action.  But I am not an attorney...maybe it has a greater chance of success that way.   But if, as posted above, one player was not told he had a broken leg, then that case would seem to have more merit.  I don't know how the league or courts then go about sorting out who has a legal grievance vs. those just trying to "cash in".   They did have a process to sort through that for concusions though, so I guess it could work again.

On the whole, I am inclined to believe that the majority of the players knew what they were doing.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: