VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 03:48:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do any of yo read Athlon Sports SEC previews? They rank each team in the SEC by  (Read 2084 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:17:33 EDT »

the strength of each position group, QB's, LB's, OL, DL, DB's..etc. The highest any UT unit was rated was #9 for the OL.  QB is 10, RB is 12, WR/TE is 13, OL is 9, DL is 10, LB is 10, DB is 9.  Remember this is out of 14 teams. Do you think these units really rank this low?  I do not. Does this mean that Jones' great recruiting is not as great as advertised. I can't believe the Vols are in the bottom 5 of the SEC in all these categories. If these are accurate, then I want to know why. Why are these recruiting rankings not translating to the field.  I hope the Vols prove these rankings wrong.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:02:42 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:54:07 EDT »

the strength of each position group, QB's, LB's, OL, DL, DB's..etc. The highest any UT unit was rated was #9 for the OL.  QB is 10, RB is 12, WR/TE is 13, OL is 9, DL is 10, LB is 10, DB is 9.  Remember this is out of 14 teams. Do you think these units really rank this low?  I do not. Does this mean that Jones' great recruiting is not as great as advertised. I can't believe the Vols are in the bottom 5 of the SEC in all these categories. If these are accurate, then I want to know why. Why are these recruiting rankings not translating to the field.  I hope the Vols prove these rankings wrong.

Some of the rankings (RB, QB come to mind first) are rated low because we have guys there who have pretty much not played, or played very little. 

others - LB, DL - I don't have any problem with them being rated so lowly.  As we are seeing with the Kirkland injury, that position is just plain void of much talent, much less depth.  The DL guys have been much heralded coming in and their star rankings are through the roof, but for reasons of injury and just plain under performing, they haven't produced. 

While I understand the rationale of why talking heads/media do stuff like this, I really don't put much stock in it one way or the other.  The bottom line is that their play on game day will prove whether they are in the upper or lower half of the SEC. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 02:20:25 EDT »

Some of the rankings (RB, QB come to mind first) are rated low because we have guys there who have pretty much not played, or played very little. 

others - LB, DL - I don't have any problem with them being rated so lowly.  As we are seeing with the Kirkland injury, that position is just plain void of much talent, much less depth.  The DL guys have been much heralded coming in and their star rankings are through the roof, but for reasons of injury and just plain under performing, they haven't produced. 

While I understand the rationale of why talking heads/media do stuff like this, I really don't put much stock in it one way or the other.  The bottom line is that their play on game day will prove whether they are in the upper or lower half of the SEC. 

^This
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 05:47:42 EDT »

Agree with HTV.   Plus,  DL lost our edge pressure and sack leaders.   If our RB are ranked 12 at season end,  we will be a 3-9 team.   Athlon's opinion is exactly the same value as mine,  worthless.   Lace'em up and play,  then we'll talk.  In my best Crenshaw personna,  I have a good feeling about this,  that's all I'm gonna tell ya.

others - LB, DL - I don't have any problem with them being rated so lowly.  As we are seeing with the Kirkland injury, that position is just plain void of much talent, much less depth.  The DL guys have been much heralded coming in and their star rankings are through the roof, but for reasons of injury and just plain under performing, they haven't produced.  

While I understand the rationale of why talking heads/media do stuff like this, I really don't put much stock in it one way or the other.  The bottom line is that their play on game day will prove whether they are in the upper or lower half of the SEC.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:58:12 EDT by LouisVOL » Logged

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 05:02:06 EDT »

Agree with HTV.   Plus,  DL lost our edge pressure and sack leaders.   If our RB are ranked 12 at season end,  we will be a 3-9 team.   Athlon's opinion is exactly the same value as mine,  worthless.   Lace'em up and play,  then we'll talk.  In my best Crenshaw personna,  I have a good feeling about this,  that's all I'm gonna tell ya.

Just to contrast these ratings, Bama's rankings are: QB 1, RB 1, WR/TE 3, OL 1, DL 1, LB 2, DB 1.  How are you supposed to compete with that? What happened to the Vols recent great recruiting classes that the talent is supposedly this bad? Fortunately, on paper doesn't matter, on field performance does. But that's whole different issue with Jones. Who's to say the Vols haven't performed to their talent level the last two years. No matter......glad the season is here. I think the Vols do better than expected. Just a hunch.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: