VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 12:34:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U of Maryland has 32 uniform combinations......  (Read 7463 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2011, 09:17:32 EDT »

The ones worn Monday aren't the worst. Under Armour provides them. The Under Armour owner is a Maryland alum and former FB player.

ESPN's Outside the Lines is doing a program on uniforms right now. One thing is clear. The players love them and the recruits love them. And even though Maryland's new jerseys aren't for public sale yet, I expect they soon will be. Which means another stream of revenue. And isn't that what college football is all about?

For better or worse, Vols fans, (and I believe worse) UT's uniforms are going to change.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:38 EDT »

Dooley said just today on 104.5 that as long as he is the coach they aren't changing because they are part of Tennessee's brand.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:10:45 EDT »

Dooley said just today on 104.5 that as long as he is the coach they aren't changing because they are part of Tennessee's brand.

I love me some Derek Dooley.
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:29:28 EDT »

The ones worn Monday aren't the worst. Under Armour provides them. The Under Armour owner is a Maryland alum and former FB player.

ESPN's Outside the Lines is doing a program on uniforms right now. One thing is clear. The players love them and the recruits love them. And even though Maryland's new jerseys aren't for public sale yet, I expect they soon will be. Which means another stream of revenue. And isn't that what college football is all about?

For better or worse, Vols fans, (and I believe worse) UT's uniforms are going to change.

UA is Auburn's vendor, too.  And they have been trying tweak here and there, but no major changes.  And I would expect that the Auburn family would run UA and the AD out of town if they fielded fugly unis like Maryland fielded last week. Some things have to remain untouched. I know we make fun of tradishun sometimes, but it is important to most of the SEC schools.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:37 EDT »

They look hideous to us, but guess what, everyone is talking about them. Better attention getter than Kiffin flying in on helicopters IMO

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 02:22:26 EDT »

UA is Auburn's vendor, too.  And they have been trying tweak here and there, but no major changes.  And I would expect that the Auburn family would run UA and the AD out of town if they fielded fugly unis like Maryland fielded last week. Some things have to remain untouched. I know we make fun of tradishun sometimes, but it is important to most of the SEC schools.

They said on the show that Under Armour was trying to get Auburn to "modernize" and "diversify" their uniforms but Auburn was refusing.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 02:28:59 EDT »

They look hideous to us, but guess what, everyone is talking about them. Better attention getter than Kiffin flying in on helicopters IMO

Everybody would be talking about them if they came out smeared in dog crap, too. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 02:36:43 EDT »

Let's see, 32 ways of ugly! Wow, what an acheivement!

I'm not quite an old fart (still at the gaseous-building stage) and don't care what the other teams do most of the time, but Maryland's uniforms would cause seizures in the stands if they ran onto the field while using strobe lights. Those uni's were horrid!

G
XHotlanta
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 02:39:26 EDT »

Everybody would be talking about them if they came out smeared in dog crap, too. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing.

Pretty much my reaction too BOM. 
XHotlanta
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 02:40:54 EDT »

I'm not quite an old fart (still at the gaseous-building stage)

LOL!   
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 02:59:46 EDT »

I still give them credit for at least incorporating the state flag into the theme of the uni's. 
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 03:30:38 EDT »

They said on the show that Under Armour was trying to get Auburn to "modernize" and "diversify" their uniforms but Auburn was refusing.

Good for us, then. It's at least nice to see that we are taking a stand against that kind of crap.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
101stDad
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 04:23:11 EDT »

With every Dooley interview it becomes more and more apparent that he really does get it. 
10EC
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 04:29:03 EDT »

With every Dooley interview it becomes more and more apparent that he really does get it. 

I hope he is successful on the field.  He rocks in all the other areas imo.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 04:35:19 EDT »

no real tradition and therefore no set uniform. I don't mind a little tweaking of our uniforms (stripes wider etc.) as has been done over the years but I don't want to see a uniform that I wouldn't immediately recognize as Tennessee.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 04:53:32 EDT »

It's a good thing for Maryland because recruits like them, and they don't have the tradition. 40 year old men aren't the uniform makers target audience. I'm not talking about dog crap of course  
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 04:57:43 EDT »

It's a good thing because recruits like them. 40 year old men aren't the uniform makers target audience. I'm not talking about dog crap of course 

Where are the recruits coming forward to say that they liked Maryland's uniforms from last weekend? Every time the subject of uniforms come up, folks who argue for them start pulling out that defense and applying it like a blanket. How do we know recruits liked those uniforms? Maybe they hated them.

Besides, I'm still of the opinion that if it takes a uniform that looked like a rainbow puked on the guy's shoulders to convince a recruit to like your school, something is wrong.

I do have one serious point of contention: I'll bet you that 40 year old men are much more the target audience of the uniform makers than recruits. Nike and Under-Armour aren't doing this to impress recruits. They're doing it to make money. Who buys more jerseys at JC Penney? Recruits or 40 year old men?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 05:08:32 EDT »

Where are the recruits coming forward to say that they liked Maryland's uniforms from last weekend? Every time the subject of uniforms come up, folks who argue for them start pulling out that defense and applying it like a blanket. How do we know recruits liked those uniforms? Maybe they hated them.

Besides, I'm still of the opinion that if it takes a uniform that looked like a rainbow puked on the guy's shoulders to convince a recruit to like your school, something is wrong.

I do have one serious point of contention: I'll bet you that 40 year old men are much more the target audience of the uniform makers than recruits. Nike and Under-Armour aren't doing this to impress recruits. They're doing it to make money. Who buys more jerseys at JC Penney? Recruits or 40 year old men?

You think UA is targeting 40 year old men with those uniforms? Really?
Tons of 17 year old kids like the uniforms, as well as UGA's unis which I think are ugly as hell. Chances are pretty good that if you or I hated them, many 17 year old kids like them. Yes, of course they are being targeted by these , they are the ones who think they're cool, and yes of course they're recruiting tools. You don't think recruiting well will make money for the school, and the uni makers? There's traditional jerseys available for the old men like us too.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 05:29:37 EDT »

The counter argument is a guy like LaGarrette Blount who said on Outside the Lines that he would've never considered Oregon except for their gear.

I don't think he's the rule though... I don't think most recruits make decisions based on gear... but that sort of stuff is important to young people and it gets their attention. All you had to do was listen to the UT players (even the Eric Berry's and Montario Hardesty's of the world) who were excited about the black jerseys.

All that being said... Alabama's uniforms are traditional and they still rake in prospects and win. If you have tradition, facilities, and a great coach, you don't need the gimmick. But even Bammer threw their kids a bone with the elephant logo gloves.

I can go either way on uniform changes. I liked the black jerseys and I would be in favor of incorporating black in our unis every other year against South Carolina as long as it falls on Halloween weekend. I would love to see us where the Condredge-era throwbacks that we saw in 2004 against UNLV occasionally. I like pretty much all the pants we've worn in the last 20 years except the wide stripe ones in 2002... I like the Manning era all white with the Power T on the right front hip, the white with narrow stripes, the solid Orange, the Orange with white stripes.

I think it would be cool for us to wear all Orange against South Carolina and have them wear all black since we generally play on Halloween weekend.

But overall, I like our uniforms to be traditional and I think that uniform changes should be special and only for special occasions. I loved the darker Orange we wore against Montana and feel like that takes us back to the 90s. I'd like to see us go back to bigger numbers and no black outline on the road jerseys. I NEVER want the helmets monkied with.  I would die for us to wear Orange all the time in SEC play like LSU wears white... nobody else wears Orange in the conference except Florida on occasion... I would love to be able to wear Orange vs. UGa's red, Alabama's crimson, Kentucky / Florida / Alabama / Ole Miss blue, etc.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 06:35:05 EDT »

I can go either way on uniform changes. I liked the black jerseys and I would be in favor of incorporating black in our unis every other year against South Carolina as long as it falls on Halloween weekend. I would love to see us where the Condredge-era throwbacks that we saw in 2004 against UNLV occasionally. I like pretty much all the pants we've worn in the last 20 years except the wide stripe ones in 2002... I like the Manning era all white with the Power T on the right front hip, the white with narrow stripes, the solid Orange, the Orange with white stripes.

I think it would be cool for us to wear all Orange against South Carolina and have them wear all black since we generally play on Halloween weekend.

But overall, I like our uniforms to be traditional and I think that uniform changes should be special and only for special occasions. I loved the darker Orange we wore against Montana and feel like that takes us back to the 90s. I'd like to see us go back to bigger numbers and no black outline on the road jerseys. I NEVER want the helmets monkied with.  I would die for us to wear Orange all the time in SEC play like LSU wears white... nobody else wears Orange in the conference except Florida on occasion... I would love to be able to wear Orange vs. UGa's red, Alabama's crimson, Kentucky / Florida / Alabama / Ole Miss blue, etc.

Agree with all this.  A special Halloween arrangement would be cool, and I really liked the '04 throwback uni's.

Also agree on the helmets.. helmets are sacred.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: