VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 09:20:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When is the last time we saw a Tennessee offense look this potent?  (Read 874 times)
Creek Walker
« on: October 02, 2021, 11:02:53 EDT »

We're not always going to get results. For all the buzz about the first half play last week, it's easy to forget that we were two big plays away from being blanked by Florida. But even as talent-poor as this squad is, it's easy to see that the players are being put in position to make plays. I have no idea if Josh Heupel can turn things around. Frankly, his lack of results on the recruiting trail so far is concerning (though he's obviously hamstrung there). But his offensive scheming might be the best that we've had at Tennessee...ever. As much as I liked Jim Chaney (the first time around), what would Heupel have done with that talent? What could he have done with the talent Butch Jones had in 2015-2016?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 11:14:15 EDT »

The TD pass to Payton last week was a beautiful scheme, totally confused the FL secondary, played off our typical double very wide scheme
He has 3-4 of those a game
And he builds on earlier plays, nothing is ever done in a vacume

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 12:28:45 EDT »

I'm astonished at the variety of the calls.  We get going with a couple runs at the line, they adjust, we throw a screen, they adjust, we throw a tricky tunnel screen that looks the same but is different. Then we go with a toss sweep to the other side, then finally catch them on a long throw.  Its a far cry from the later stagnant Fulmer days of off-tackle, off-tackle, screen punt.   

CW to answer your question, most potent since at least Dobbs at his best, but might even be better.  With far less talent. It is encouraging.

Hoping the portal can balance the recruiting issues.  What offensive player would not want to come to UT at this point?  Of course we need D, particularly some LBs, but there may be some that want some PT.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 12:54:28 EDT »

I think you have to go back to 2010 for as big an SEC win (def Ole Miss 52-14).

..and go back to 2000 for more pts scored in SEC play - 63-20 over Arky.  and I think we had a couple of defensive TD's in that one. 

THe D set us up nicely on that one drive, but they were all Offense TDs.

I think we kind of stopped scheming on them offensively in the 3rd qtr.  We pretty much went vanilla on O and yet we kept producing.  It was pretty dang impressive.  There were times at the end when you could tell Hooker and Wright were gassed, but at least they were able to milk the clock at that time and catch a little breather.  I like how they huddle at the ball and are always keeping the D on the ready.  They just broke that D doing that.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 02:17:31 EDT »

Awesome to see.   

Nice to have an offense with a plan and a purpose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: