VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 07:56:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OBC speaks truth on Saban again  (Read 9337 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:08:26 EDT »

How many SECs has (Saban) won there in eight years? He's won two. He's won three nationals, but he's only won two SECs in eight years. Now, if you had the No. 1 recruiting class every year and so forth, I don't know if he has maxed out potentially as well as he could."

Exactly!  Give ANYONE the talent Saban has and they will win.  In fact, you could make the case that he has underachieved, as SOS is.   

The OBC tells it like it is.   

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/23/5834882/steve-spurrier-nick-saban-alabama-south-carolina

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:43:01 EDT »

I didn't realize they had only won two SECCG in last 8 years. Wow.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:07:35 EDT »

That tells me that the SEC is danged tough to win, rather than indicating Saban is mediocre.

Lol, frankly I get tired of Spurriers brashness.  Any other SEC coach says what he says and we blast them.  But we chuckle at OBC.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:58:57 EDT »

Lol, frankly I get tired of Spurriers brashness.  Any other SEC coach says what he says and we blast them.  But we chuckle at OBC.   

I agree. He's a prick who stopped being funny long ago.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 10:59:45 EDT »

I like it...particularly when he fires at Saban.   

No one is saying Saban is mediocre though.  He's a good coach.  But....anyone with the level of talent he has will succeed.    I think Jim Donnan could win the MNC with that level of talent, or at least play for it a couple times.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:06:58 EDT »

No one is saying Saban is mediocre though.  He's a good coach.  But....anyone with the level of talent he has will succeed.    I think Jim Donnan could win the MNC with that level of talent, or at least play for it a couple times.
[/quotes

Yep, no way does Donnan leads any team to four national titles in eight years and three in four years. That's not happening. No way would he develop a disciplined football team the way Saban does.

BG
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:16:36 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 06:32:05 EDT »

That's one thing you never see: Nick doesn't knock other coaches.

BG
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 06:40:51 EDT »

That's one thing you never see: Nick doesn't knock other coaches.

BG

He doesn't have to the Alabama fans do more than enough for him......

I know that UA has been on a long ride, but I harken back ot the mid 90s when UA had the Shula experiment and the other coaches that caused all you fans such consternation that you basically fired one or let him escape to Texas A&M (aka Fifthchoiceione) and bemoaned that you could not beat UT and UF etc etc etc.....  Sometimes I just want to go and hold up a sign that says "Never Forget That you Hired Shula TOO!!!"

Yeah I know death wish.....

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 06:45:43 EDT »

He doesn't have to the Alabama fans do more than enough for him......

I know that UA has been on a long ride, but I harken back ot the mid 90s when UA had the Shula experiment and the other coaches that caused all you fans such consternation that you basically fired one or let him escape to Texas A&M (aka Fifthchoiceione) and bemoaned that you could not beat UT and UF etc etc etc.....  Sometimes I just want to go and hold up a sign that says "Never Forget That you Hired Shula TOO!!!"

Yeah I know death wish.....

We let Fran go?!?! Also, all fans do the same but not all coaches slam others. SOS does, but not Nick. Yes, Fran was about fifth choice. So was Jones. So what?

BG
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:42:18 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 07:20:32 EDT »

No one is saying Saban is mediocre though.  He's a good coach.  But....anyone with the level of talent he has will succeed.    I think Jim Donnan could win the MNC with that level of talent, or at least play for it a couple times.

Yeah, but you say things like this as if the talent stacked on that roster is coincidental and has nothing to do with Saban. Building that kind of roster is a big part of what makes him a great coach.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 08:00:58 EDT »

We let Fran go?!?! Also, all fans do the same but not all coaches slam others. SOS does, but not Nick. Yes, Fran was about fifth choice. So was Jones. So what?

BG

I was explicit in that you let him ESCAPE.....oh and Jones was not the fifth choice....I know for a fact that Strong was the only one offered out of the whole bunch....yeah they talked to other coaches but none of them were actually offered the job.....Butch wanted to be here and I for one and damn glad we got him after watching Strong implode when he went to a Texas HS coaches clinic....apparently Strong is the anti Spurrier......

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 09:08:12 EDT »

I was explicit in that you let him ESCAPE.....oh and Jones was not the fifth choice....I know for a fact that Strong was the only one offered out of the whole bunch....yeah they talked to other coaches but none of them were actually offered the job.....Butch wanted to be here and I for one and damn glad we got him after watching Strong implode when he went to a Texas HS coaches clinic....apparently Strong is the anti Spurrier......

You said he was "BASICALLY FIRED" or we "LET HIM" escaped to the Aggies. Either way, that's just not factual. Fran was  in good standing at Bama, and he received a counter offer matching what the Aggies had offered. He was concerned about the sanctions being more severe that what he was led to believe from discussions Alabama had with the conference office. He bolted on his on and we tried hard to keep him, and did not just "let him" leave by doing nothing which "let him" implies.

Also, if you want to look at it that way, then no Fran wasn't fifth choice either as Bama talked to some others who weren't interested but no actual offer was made.
BG
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:50:39 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 09:23:35 EDT »

Yeah, but you say things like this as if the talent stacked on that roster is coincidental and has nothing to do with Saban. Building that kind of roster is a big part of what makes him a great coach.

Yup, he wasn't given all that talent.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 09:28:55 EDT »

Yup, he wasn't given all that talent.

Right. We had mediocre overall talent and little depth. Granted he had a great recruiting year after his first season, but the difference between his first year's team and the second year was dramatic. Yes, he can coach and develop players, and that's why many want to play for him.

BG
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 06:08:35 EDT »

Right. We had mediocre overall talent and little depth. Granted he had a great recruiting year after his first season, but the difference between his first year's team and the second year was dramatic. Yes, he can coach and develop players, and that's why many want to play for him.

BG

You forgot
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 06:09:39 EDT »

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 06:13:06 EDT »

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 06:14:33 EDT »

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 06:17:51 EDT »

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 06:20:48 EDT »

Besides showing you don't care for the guy, can't think what any of that has to do with the issue at hand.

Nice pictures though...

BG
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 07:03:48 EDT »

BG

Shula was not a terrible recruiter, he had some top ten classes.  Just an awful game day coach.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 07:07:28 EDT »

Yes....he didn't have that kind of talent at LSU though.  And speaking of which, I never said he wasn't a good coach.  He is.  He won at LSU with good talent, he won his first NC at bammer with good talent.

But since then, has had simply great talent, beyond anything ever seen in NCAA football history.  Astonishing, draw dropping talent.  Talent anyone could win with.

It's not just his "recruiting prowess" either.  Yes, he has such a winning personality, he just charms those kids into coming to bammer.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 07:07:59 EDT »

Besides showing you don't care for the guy, can't think what any of that has to do with the issue at hand.

Nice pictures though...

BG

Outstanding in fact.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: