VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 03:50:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting the cord?  (Read 2873 times)
Creek Walker
« on: March 22, 2016, 03:23:49 EDT »

Has anyone here successfully cut out cable/satellite? I ask the question here because we're all sports enthusiasts and that seems to be where the greatest obstacles lie.

From what I've read, Sling TV will cover ESPN and the SEC Network (with the expanded sports package, which totals $25/month). But what about the networks? Is there anything out there (besides the modern-day equivalent of an antenna, which isn't an option for me since I'm 50 miles from the nearest market -- Knoxville) that will allow me to stream SEC games on CBS and NFL games on Fox?
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 05:34:39 EDT »

I think if I was looking to switch now, I'd seriously look at the new Playstation option. I did a little research this weekend and it looked kind of impressive.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 07:18:49 EDT »

The one time cost of buying a arial antenna may make it worth experimentation. There are some amplified antennae that certify a distance greater than the 50 miles you mention. I saw one setup that boasts a pickup range of 120 miles (I don't know how accurate that is though). You are closer than Nashville to a few larger markets such as Atlanta. Possibly Charlotte. I don't know if it is rebroadcast into the Nashville market but I do get a free air hd channel from Chicago. That is the best I know what to tell you.
VOLveeta
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 03:22:47 EDT »

Creek, we haven't had cable for almost ten years now and we N.E.V.E.R. miss it.  We have an antennae and in almost every case when the game isn't on one of the majors, I've been able to figure out a way to watch games online.  I will admit access to my brother's Xfinity account has given me the feed for a couple of games.     But we have broadband internet and that is it.  And we are pleased a.) for all we have available in just that and b.) not wasting SO much money.  Also, sometimes it makes me go be social at the local pub to watch a game now and then.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 03:38:19 EDT »

Creek, we haven't had cable for almost ten years now and we N.E.V.E.R. miss it.  We have an antennae and in almost every case when the game isn't on one of the majors, I've been able to figure out a way to watch games online.  I will admit access to my brother's Xfinity account has given me the feed for a couple of games.     But we have broadband internet and that is it.  And we are pleased a.) for all we have available in just that and b.) not wasting SO much money.  Also, sometimes it makes me go be social at the local pub to watch a game now and then.   

Ten years ago cutting the cord wouldn't have been an option for us. We were still on dial-up.  Only in the past couple of years has our internet speed finally gotten fast enough (14mbps down...yeah, I know that pales in comparison to you folks who live on the beaten path, but it's the neatest thing to come here since the double drive thru lanes at McDonald's [which we still haven't learned to use]) to make serious streaming a reality.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 03:48:54 EDT »

Im heading down the same path and cutting the cord, aka cable. I've had a bundled service from TWC which includes their ultimate (50MB) internet service and their HD cable TV package for the eight months. We don't have any of the premium channels such as HBO, but it still hits us at around $150/mo.

My plan is to keep the same internet service, but drop the cable in favor of a Kodi setup that has tons of side loaded channels which you can watch just about anything you want. I'm finding the preloaded Kodi's for about $80/ea, and I'm buying four of them. The cost of them should be offset within the a few months.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:52:41 EDT by FLVOL » Logged

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: