VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 10:47:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Regulation Possession  (Read 1133 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2021, 05:34:52 EST »

We had the ball at our 40 with 44 seconds to play. We ran two plays for 12 yards in the first 18 seconds.

Even worse, both were to Small, who is not exactly dynamic. There's no reason we should have been kicking from 50+ as time expired.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 05:40:18 EST »

Small only had 160 yards last night

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 05:46:39 EST »

We had the ball at our 40 with 44 seconds to play. We ran two plays for 12 yards in the first 18 seconds.

Even worse, both were to Small, who is not exactly dynamic. There's no reason we should have been kicking from 50+ as time expired.

Totally agreed.  Couldn’t have asked for a better setup.  We should’ve won the game right here.  Don’t put the game in a position where the refs can rob you.  Take it while the opportunity is there.

Bad play calls, bad time management.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 05:54:07 EST »

Not just the running plays to start the drive, but the long downfield passes when we only needed 15 yards for a field goal.

Both can be justified in that circumstance. Trying a run in that situation sometimes pops a big one, but you really need more time than we had imo.

The two long passes ... can win it right there right?  But we had a timeout left, thriw to the middle of the field!

The throwing way down field when we only needed 10-15 yards plus not kicking a 34 yard fg up one point on 4th and 1 almost makes me think our kicker was injured 

Regardless, pretty bad play calling on that last drive. No way to put lipstick on that pig

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 06:11:57 EST »

This might have helped shorten the FG attempt (happened right in front of me), say from 56 to 41 yards

Heup was SCREAMING at the refs after this one

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 06:21:01 EST »

Not just the running plays to start the drive, but the long downfield passes when we only needed 15 yards for a field goal.

Both can be justified in that circumstance. Trying a run in that situation sometimes pops a big one, but you really need more time than we had imo.

The two long passes ... can win it right there right?  But we had a timeout left, thriw to the middle of the field!

The throwing way down field when we only needed 10-15 yards plus not kicking a 34 yard fg up one point on 4th and 1 almost makes me think our kicker was injured 

Regardless, pretty bad play calling on that last drive. No way to put lipstick on that pig

Wonder how much of those long throws on the last drive were the play call vs decision by Hooker.

The terrible field conditions affected our play calling too.   Even so, all the more reason to have a sense of urgency to get down the field and make the FG as close as possible.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 06:22:28 EST »

Opportunities were there for the deep ball, but we'd been iffy on those after the first quarter. And relying on refs was too much to ask.

As for Small, a more explosive guy goes for 200+ on the same carries. He just lacks pop. I appreciate what he does, but many times he couldn't shake one guy.  

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 06:24:37 EST »

After the first running play that did not get a 1st down he should have called TO saving around 7-8 seconds. The long downfield passes were frustrating. However, there were probably 6-8 times during the game where our WR's were 2 yards or more behind the Purdue DB's. You can't ask for more than that and we needed our QB to hit them like he is suppose to.

Granted we played with 71 scholarship players and a previous walk-on at RT for nearly half the season, and with this we set the single season Tennessee scoring record with a HC that has been here only for 11 months.

Next year hopefully we can improve on both lines of scrimmage where we can run the ball when we need to and pressure the QB without having to send LB's and DB's.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 07:00:42 EST by Cobbvol » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 06:57:19 EST »

Purdue DB coach, English said middle of the week.....'

“The quarterback (Hooker) is very, very effective at 10 yards or less,” said English. “Now once he throws past 10 yards he’s a 40 percent passer.”

He is 100 percent correct.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 11:58:36 EST »

Opportunities were there for the deep ball, but we'd been iffy on those after the first quarter. And relying on refs was too much to ask.

As for Small, a more explosive guy goes for 200+ on the same carries. He just lacks pop. I appreciate what he does, but many times he couldn't shake one guy.  

Great example is the one he broke free, only to get run down from behind

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 11:59:16 EST »

This might have helped shorten the FG attempt (happened right in front of me), say from 56 to 41 yards

Heup was SCREAMING at the refs after this one

That absolutely should have been called, particularly after all the ticky-tack PIs on us. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 12:02:04 EST »

Wonder how much of those long throws on the last drive were the play call vs decision by Hooker.

The terrible field conditions affected our play calling too.   Even so, all the more reason to have a sense of urgency to get down the field and make the FG as close as possible.

Great point, I had wondered if it was Hooker also.  And the one where Velus got held should have been six, or at least put us well within FG range.

My BIL just said a few minutes ago the thing about the field affecting the FG attempts, so yeah maybe that was on Heupel's mind. 

Still.  Just needed 15-20 yards!   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 12:04:33 EST »

Purdue DB coach, English said middle of the week.....'

“The quarterback (Hooker) is very, very effective at 10 yards or less,” said English. “Now once he throws past 10 yards he’s a 40 percent passer.”

He is 100 percent correct.

They were discussing that in the pregame, and somewhat dismissing it.  Rarely have I seen a bunch of former Vol talking heads be so overconfident.But

All the more reason to throw mid-range on that last drive!

But hey, what is Milton?  20%?  10%?   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 12:07:45 EST »

Interesting
We ran only the go routes against #7, who was only able to defend by mugging or holding (see last pass before FG attempt)
The other routes were short to intermediate.
We missed Warren who is the better route runner by the TEs
BTW, the SJ is the one who missed the Holding call (same one that was calling PI on us from 40-50 yards away) - Heup got in his ear and I think the SJ came close to ringing him up for it, the HL came in between

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: