VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 07:41:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three straight missed FTs  (Read 6357 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:51:46 EST »

including two front ends and now Vandy has the ball down 1 with 20 seconds left. Cuonzo's Vols are at risk of choking one away that should never have been close. 

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:08 EST »

Gave them two good shots to win, but luckily Vandy missed both. Ugly game. This team is still pretty damn bad.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:09 EST »

yet somehow, some way they won

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:56:41 EST »

I just looked for the first time in a few weeks and UT is #90 in KenPom's efficiency rankings. That's terrible. Worse than the Buzz era IIRC.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 03:11:52 EST »

While ugly, there's only one thing better than beating Vandy, and that's winning when their last second shot and putback miss and their hearts are ripped out.  Seeing their bench put their heads in their hands and knowing how bad that hurt makes me so happy.  
101stDad
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 03:43:01 EST »

Really fortunate to win that game.  Vandy had a point blank put back at the buzzer to win and just flat out whiffed it. 

I'll take it.  It was a W. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 04:17:42 EST »

While ugly, there's only one thing better than beating Vandy, and that's winning when their last second shot and putback miss and their hearts are ripped out.  Seeing their bench put their heads in their hands and knowing how bad that hurt makes me so happy.  

Was Bald Kevin on the losing end? If so, there's nothing ugly about it. It's beautiful. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 04:02:06 EST »

I just looked for the first time in a few weeks and UT is #90 in KenPom's efficiency rankings. That's terrible. Worse than the Buzz era IIRC.

Now #98 after last night's game. Among the teams better than us are Harvard, Princeton, and Lehigh.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 04:05:32 EST »

Now #98 after last night's game. Among the teams better than us are Harvard, Princeton, and Lehigh.

And for the record, Buzz's last three seasons were #55, #89, and #65. KemPom doesn't have data for his first season but it was his most talented team, so I'm guessing it was no worse than those three. So I think we are truly back to the Kevin O'Neill days if not perhaps one coach earlier. 

Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 04:39:20 EST »

After being at the Ole Miss game last Thursday and watching the second half of the game last night, none of our guys shoot a mid ranger jumper.  They always drive to far to the basket.  I just wish once that McRae would pull up from 17 feet out and bury the jumper.  A few of those and it opens the lane for Stokes.

Stokes is finally showing what he can do.  Earlier this season, I didn't understand someone of his talent only shooting 5 to 6 times a game and scoring 8 points a game.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 06:32:33 EST »

And for the record, Buzz's last three seasons were #55, #89, and #65. KemPom doesn't have data for his first season but it was his most talented team, so I'm guessing it was no worse than those three. So I think we are truly back to the Kevin O'Neill days if not perhaps one coach earlier.  

We are nowhere close to Wade Houston.  I mean, come on.

Also, although I am in no way defending being in the 90s, Princeton and Harvard over the last few years have put together some surprisingly good teams.   I didn't see last night's game, don't think it was televised lately locally but it does sound ugly.  They simply have to do better.  Sounds like some leaders are emerging on offense, at least.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:01:27 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 07:23:35 EST »

We are nowhere close to Wade Houston.  I mean, come on.

Also, although I am in no way defending being in the 90s, Princeton and Harvard over the last few years have put together some surprisingly good teams.   I didn't see last night's game, don't think it was televised lately but it does sound ugly.  They simply have to do better.  Sounds like some leaders are emerging on offense, at least.

We aren't performing at that level, no. His last season was the worst in UT basketball history, after all. But it is the worst we've been since that time, perhaps. Without seeing the O'Neill numbers I'm not sure.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 05:06:19 EST »

Now #102. The offensive woes are obvious to everyone but we also have the #99 defense. You can add Weber State and South Dakota State to the teams that are better than us.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 04:53:57 EST »

Now #102. The offensive woes are obvious to everyone but we also have the #99 defense. You can add Weber State and South Dakota State to the teams that are better than us.

I had to bring this back up. First, let me quote Bandit from another thread:

Quote from: BanditVol
Well it looks like we improved a fair amount in KenProm, which as you know, is much harder to do as the season wears on and the games pile up.

Bandit was right. This late in the season it's hard to change your overall efficiency numbers much, as you have one game's data pushing against 20-25 previously played games.

And yet, with this win streak, we are up to #58 in KenPom's pythag. Even more impressively, we were #96 on Feb 14th, less than two weeks ago! That's an incredible amount of movement in a short time and, while I have no data to back this up, I'd wager that in the last two weeks there are very few teams in the country that have played better ball than we have.

Remember how terrible the offense was early in the year? It's now up to #53. The defense has improved to #81. Strength of schedule is #31. And for what it's worth, Florida is still #1 in KenPom after road losses to Mizzou and us because they are still a very, very good team.

As inexplicable as the early struggles were, we are a fine basketball team right now. If this level of play is the new normal, we will be dancing.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 06:26:18 EST »

Wow, that amount of improvement is simply incredible.   Here's hoping it continues!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: