VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 12:05:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those big pictures of heads students hold up at bball games  (Read 2479 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:38:50 EST »

Interesting article on how it began:

http://m.si.com/1946959/how-big-heads-became-a-part-of-college-basketball-culture/

They always make me chuckle.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:42:04 EST »

On a related note, build your own here: http://buildahead.com/buildhead
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:33 EST »

Thanks for posting....It seems it has become more and more popular. While a player is shooting a free throw I'm looking more at the signs than the game.

On the note of signs....back in the 70's and even 80's there was a dude that was at sporting events (I think he got started at golf events) that held up a sign with John 3:16 on it. That guy could always find the perfect spot to get his sign on TV. I've always wondered how he could get into so many sporting events all across the country..He could be in San Diego one day and 2 days later be in Miami.
101stDad
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:21:45 EST »

Thanks for posting....It seems it has become more and more popular. While a player is shooting a free throw I'm looking more at the signs than the game.

On the note of signs....back in the 70's and even 80's there was a dude that was at sporting events (I think he got started at golf events) that held up a sign with John 3:16 on it. That guy could always find the perfect spot to get his sign on TV. I've always wondered how he could get into so many sporting events all across the country..He could be in San Diego one day and 2 days later be in Miami.

His name was Rollen Stewart, and went by the moniker "Rockin' Rollen". 

I actually talked to him for a couple of minutes while I was at the old Georgia Pacific Atlanta Classic when it used to be played at the Atlanta Country Club years ago.  It was sometime in the mid 80s, I think around 84 or 85.   I was sitting behind the 16th green watching golf and he came up and sat down close by and just started talking. 

Really weird guy, who later on had some mental problems (a real surprise, huh?) and freaked out.  Word I had always heard was that he came from a wealthy family who gave him money to travel just to keep him out of their hair, pun intended. 

Here's what Wikipedia says about him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollen_Stewart
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:05:27 EST »

Haw...no wonder I haven't seen him in years...he has been in prison!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: