VTTW Board Index
May 06, 2024, 03:09:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trooper Taylor is not a candidate for the open spot on the staff.  (Read 9381 times)
101stDad
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:01:34 EST »

According to Evan Woodbery of the News-Sentinel:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2013/feb/27/tim-spencer-interviews-for-vols-running-back-job/?partner=RSS
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:09:35 EST »

Good.  Let that POS slum it at a high school job, where he belongs.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:53:37 EST »

Good.  Let that POS slum it at a high school job, where he belongs.

+1
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:23:29 EST »

He should go to memphis schools and apply, there is a history of selling recruits to the highest bidder down there, he should fit right in.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:13:16 EST »

He will likely go to MSU or OM, and take away recruits from us. I know we all like to sit on our high horse about Trooper, but there is no NCAA hanging over him, that is all speculation. If Butch wants to get some elite recruits in the '14 class, it would be a giant step. Take a look at what some elite recruits are saying about Troop on twitter.

So...either do things the way the best programs in the SEC do and go after the players they do, or sit around on our high horse and be content with #20 recruiting classes and bottom 12 finishes in the SEC.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:18:44 EST »

He will likely go to MSU or OM, and take away recruits from us. I know we all like to sit on our high horse about Trooper, but there is no NCAA hanging over him, that is all speculation. If Butch wants to get some elite recruits in the '14 class, it would be a giant step. Take a look at what some elite recruits are saying about Troop on twitter.

So...either do things the way the best programs in the SEC do and go after the players they do, or sit around on our high horse and be content with #20 recruiting classes and bottom 12 finishes in the SEC.

Bullshizzle. It isn't an "either/or" proposition. It is possible to do things the right way AND succeed, and there are multiple examples of this in the CFB world.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 04:25:27 EST »

Bullshizzle. It isn't an "either/or" proposition. It is possible to do things the right way AND succeed, and there are multiple examples of this in the CFB world.

You keep believing that about the SEC, and I will keep showing you our mediocrity moving forward. I'm not saying we need to cheat, we need to do some of the things programs like FL, Bama, AU, do to recruit at an elite level, and one of them is to hire elite recruiters. We have one on the staff, Thigpen. Azzani may be another, but not yet. If we don't hire Troop that's fine...there are other choices (Beatty would be one), but hire an elite recruiter. Don't settle.

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 04:28:16 EST »

You keep believing that about the SEC, and I will keep showing you our mediocrity moving forward. I'm not saying we need to cheat, we need to do some of the things programs like FL, Bama, AU, do to recruit at an elite level, and one of them is to hire elite recruiters. We have one on the staff, Thigpen. Azzani may be another, but not yet. If we don't hire Troop that's fine...there are other choices (Beatty would be one), but hire an elite recruiter. Don't settle.

I'm not saying we have to settle. I'm saying we don't have to go after a guy who has thumbed his nose at us for the past 5 years AND who has been under a cloud of NCAA suspicion. As you say, there are other elite recruiters out there. If liked Taylor when he was here, but that was then and this is now. If being an elite SEC team means we have to hire guys like Taylor, I'm okay with being a mid-tier SEC team. I mean that. At some point winning isn't everything.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 04:30:28 EST »

I'm not saying we have to settle. I'm saying we don't have to go after a guy who has thumbed his nose at us for the past 5 years AND who has been under a cloud of NCAA suspicion. As you say, there are other elite recruiters out there. If liked Taylor when he was here, but that was then and this is now. If being an elite SEC team means we have to hire guys like Taylor, I'm okay with being a mid-tier SEC team. I mean that. At some point winning isn't everything.

If Taylor was cleared by the NCAA, would you have a different opinion?
101stDad
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 04:40:19 EST »

I know we all like to sit on our high horse about Trooper, but there is no NCAA hanging over him, that is all speculation.

Actually, that's not speculation.  The NCAA is still in discovery stage on that one, IV.  If there were not potential issues then why did Auburn take him off of the road and limit his recruiting responsibilities? 

Sometimes the risks don't outweigh the potential reward.  This is one of those times.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:27 EST »

If Taylor was cleared by the NCAA, would you have a different opinion?

Maybe slightly, but it's hard for me to forget or forgive the way he thumbed his nose at us after leaving. I know he wasn't mad at the program so much as he was mad at Fulmer. But still. Fulmer may have been an #badword#, but he was our #badword# and Trooper's actions were very Kiffin-esque.
101stDad
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 05:24:13 EST »

Maybe slightly, but it's hard for me to forget or forgive the way he thumbed his nose at us after leaving. I know he wasn't mad at the program so much as he was mad at Fulmer. But still. Fulmer may have been an #badword#, but he was our #badword# and Trooper's actions were very Kiffin-esque.

Taylor's history indicates that he is nothing more than a gypsy in the coaching business.  He comes, gets pissed off when things don't go his exact way, and then he leaves in a huff only to repeat that scenario at his new place.  We just had a coach leave because he thought he should be the recruiting coordinator and didn't like it when he was spurned.  We don't need to fill that very position with a coach who was already here once and left because he couldn't work within the system he was hired to work within. 

Taylor's history, more than anything else, is why I am happy that Jones isn't going to play his game.  As I have said, too much risk for the potential reward.  Trooper isn't a "team" guy.  He's all about Trooper.   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30:42 EST »

All signs point to him being clear by the NCAA. Highly disagree with you on being ok with mediocrity.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 05:31:14 EST »

Taylor's history indicates that he is nothing more than a gypsy in the coaching business.  He comes, gets pissed off when things don't go his exact way, and then he leaves in a huff only to repeat that scenario at his new place.  We just had a coach leave because he thought he should be the recruiting coordinator and didn't like it when he was spurned.  We don't need to fill that very position with a coach who was already here once and left because he couldn't work within the system he was hired to work within. 

Taylor's history, more than anything else, is why I am happy that Jones isn't going to play his game.  As I have said, too much risk for the potential reward.  Trooper isn't a "team" guy.  He's all about Trooper.   

I agree with this.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 05:33:19 EST »

Actually, that's not speculation.  The NCAA is still in discovery stage on that one, IV.  If there were not potential issues then why did Auburn take him off of the road and limit his recruiting responsibilities? 

Sometimes the risks don't outweigh the potential reward.  This is one of those times.   

Not speculation?  You're speculating with this post. The NCAA hasn't done anything with Auburn or Trooper. That's the fact. No one knows if they are on discovery stage or what stage. Why did Auburn take him off the road? Pre-emptive strike I guess - but that's also speculation.

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 05:37:28 EST »

No word if we are after any of these guys, however they are on competiting teams that recruit the "target" area we need to recruit - NC, SC, GA, VA, TN. The WR coaches are listed on the assumption that a shift could be made on our staff or they could shift to coach RB's.

Derrick Nix - Ole Miss, RB Coach --- Ex So Miss player who has recruited MS and Memphis for a number of years.
Grant Heard - Ole Miss, WR Coach --- Ex Ole Miss player who was instrumental in landing their most recent class (Don't know if this is good or bad).
Tony Elliott - Clemson, RB Coach --- Ex Clemson player and one of their ace recruiters. Does money talk?
Jeff Scott - Clemson, WR Coach --- Ex Clemson player and one of their ace recruiters. Does money talk?
Stan Drayton - Ohio St, RB Coach --- Ex Vol coach who recruits GA and FL for Meyer, however never really moved the needle while at UT.
Zach Smith - Ohio St, WR Coach --- Ex Florida player who recruits the Mid-Atlantic area for Meyer.
Bryan McClendon - Georgia, RB Coach --- Ex Georgia player who recruits GA, mainly the city of Atlanta. Would money talk?
Tony Ball - Georgia, WR Coach --- Ex UT-Chatt player who recruits the Carolinas and Georgia. Lead recruiter for Kitt.
Greg Knox - Miss State, RB Coach --- Recruits GA, MS, and LA for Mullen and very good recruiter. Does he have ties to the Carolinas?
Randy Jordan - North Carolina, RB Coach --- Ex UNC player who recruits NC and VA. More money and coach in the SEC?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 05:37:43 EST »

He's all about Trooper.   

No question. Forget the NCAA issues-- which still have the potential to cause problems for us if we were to hire him-- and forget the way he left here the first time. You can watch his entire career and clearly see that he wants the attention on himself. Personally I don't think that would be a fit with Butch or the staff, and not what we need for a program trying to claw its way back.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

101stDad
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 05:42:03 EST »

All signs point to him being clear by the NCAA. Highly disagree with you on being ok with mediocrity.

What signs?  The NCAA is still looking in to the improprieties with Auburn, which included Taylor.  He hasn't been "cleared" by anybody at this point because the investigation is still in a preliminary stage. 
101stDad
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 05:44:29 EST »

Not speculation?  You're speculating with this post. The NCAA hasn't done anything with Auburn or Trooper. That's the fact. No one knows if they are on discovery stage or what stage. Why did Auburn take him off the road? Pre-emptive strike I guess - but that's also speculation.

Geez Louise.  Black Hueys at 11 o'clock.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00:44 EST »

no he isn't
Auburn IS being looked at
The "speculation" is that the towell waiver has been "cleared"

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
101stDad
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 06:10:19 EST »

And to add, there is an old saying that goes something like "fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me." 

Trooper fooled us once.  The risk for a potential reward with him just isn't there. 
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 06:24:01 EST »

Bryan McClendon - Georgia, RB Coach --- Ex Georgia player who recruits GA, mainly the city of Atlanta. Would money talk?
Tony Ball - Georgia, WR Coach --- Ex UT-Chatt player who recruits the Carolinas and Georgia. Lead recruiter for Kitt.

Don't raid our coaching staff!     We need these guys.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 01:15:37 EST »

After the recruting stunt he pulled, I don't want Trooper around UT or anywhere near it unless he is wearing opposing colors and we have no choice.   I didn't dislike him before he left, but what he did at Auburn was really classless with the involvement of a former UT player to discredit us.

I also GCAS if he gets in NCAA trouble or not.  Not my program, don't care.   Don't care what Trooper does from here out either.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 01:28:08 EST »

After the recruting stunt he pulled, I don't want Trooper around UT or anywhere near it unless he is wearing opposing colors and we have no choice.   I didn't dislike him before he left, but what he did at Auburn was really classless with the involvement of a former UT player to discredit us.

I also GCAS if he gets in NCAA trouble or not.  Not my program, don't care.   Don't care what Trooper does from here out either.

Couldn't agree more.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: